Not your typical Overland Vehicle (pics)

• HTML tutorial

clo_iam

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Los angeles/Phoenix
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Estella
Member #

This is my 1987 Land Rover Ninety, daily rig.

Original 2.5td engine and transmission, sitting on BFG 255/85r/16 MTs.

It's permanent 4 wheel drive but still gets me roughly 23 MPG. Currently have an Engel in the back powered by a 100 watt solar panel and a secondary battery.

Been in Arizona for 3 months now and has seen many dusty adventures, the most recent being a five day, 1,000 mile Moab trip.
View attachment 41072 View attachment 41073 View attachment 41074 View attachment 41075 View attachment 41077
thats one nice rig you got there!

Kirill Rudnev

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey is there anything you don’t like about your trooper? been kinda looking at them as a possible replacement for my sequoia.
Not much aftermarket support is the biggest issue. They say the automatic tranys die but mine is manual so I don't worry about that.
When it comes to manual transmissions they lack internal replacement parts.
If you get one with 180+ miles you will need a head job done.
Overall I personally believe it the best off-roader for cheap (besides Jeep). The axles, frame, and suspension are just so much bulkier than the Pathfinders and 4-Runners.

Nashmau5

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Fayetteville, NC
Member #

Buddy of mine lost his phone on a field exercise so we loaded up the Jeep and went after it and even came out successful. Haven’t spent much time in the training area in Ft. Bragg but I had a blast and the trails had a lot of beautiful views.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

The past three vehicles I've had are fairly unique. Safe to say the Grand Cherokee is the most mainstream one (I know a couple of people on here are in WK2's). I have not seen any Ford Rangers (I don't think) and only a couple of Expeditions.

many many weekends spent in that ranger going down random trails/dirt roads/etc. around where I live. This is the truck that sparked my desire for exploring. I absolutely want an older tacoma/ranger/jeep when I have the room and time and money as a secondary vehicle.