First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Still didn’t answer my question...
??????.............................do you mean frequency's. I have a handheld HAM, just not licensed yet. If so, that would be my reason. I would not have to change on the go, but quietly listen to the weather alert on the CB unit, and the GMRS for comm's, not withstanding

I am not sure the question.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
??????.............................do you mean frequency's. I have a handheld HAM, just not licensed yet. If so, that would be my reason. I would not have to change on the go, but quietly listen to the weather alert on the CB unit, and the GMRS for comm's, not withstanding

I am not sure the question.
So what does the midland CB radio (that you pictured) do that a ham unit can not do, other than a ham (I’m assuming 2m and 70cm bands) can’t talk on the 27mhz spectrum.
You stated “separate from a Ham unit's ability” I am wondering what you meant by this statement. If you were referring to a ham radio’s ability to to get weather alerts, most have instant access to WX stations... my Yaesu FT-2900 had 3 WX stations and a function that if a storm warning was issued on any of the 5 national stations it would broadcast to my radio. Now this is a radio that’s been discontinued for a few years... it’s replacement the FT-2980 still has the same capabilities.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
So what does the midland CB radio (that you pictured) do that a ham unit can not do, other than a ham (I’m assuming 2m and 70cm bands) can’t talk on the 27mhz spectrum.
Nothing,........nothing at all. Just my choice right now to straddle different needs. I realize the.....all in one ability of a ham. Just not for me at this time. I also purchased a Midland DB2500 mobile on a whim last summer, but situations changed, Covid for one, so for now it is shelved.