Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've been wanting to downgrade my full size Uniden Bearcat 980SSB CB with something smaller. So I replaced it with this new President Andy II - Amazon.com: New President Andy II 12/24V FCC CB Radio with Weather Channel/Alert, Scan, USB Port, VOX and Much More!: Car Electronics. I hardly see new CBs hit the market. This one came out November 2020 according to Amazon.

The Uniden was a lot of radio that got little use. I didn't need to take prime real estate in my dash area. So now I have the GMRS and CB side by side on top of the dash and the Ham in the lower center, which I believe where my main comm device should be.

IMG_0281.jpg

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Nice radio, although the Andy II has been in the President Electronics Lineup for 5 years now... I wonder if Amazon is updating it as new listing since all radio transmission devices sold in the US through Amazon now have to have an FCC compliant sticker as per the new Amazon rules.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Nice radio, although the Andy II has been in the President Electronics Lineup for 5 years now... I wonder if Amazon is updating it as new listing since all radio transmission devices sold in the US through Amazon now have to have an FCC compliant sticker as per the new Amazon rules.
Doh! Well at least I didn't accidentally buy the Andy I lol. Thanks for the info though.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I hope so too...

back on topic... how does this radio compare to the Bearcat it replaced? Sound quality being number one in my mind
It's not as feature-rich as the Bearcat, but I do like the size. Sound quality remains to be seen. While setting it up I did hear chatter on Ch 19 and from what I can tell, the sound had less background noise compared to the Bearcat. In addition, the Bearcat was connected to an aux. speaker so not exactly an apples to apples comparison. I'm now using the same aux. speaker for my Kenwood Ham radio. But from what I remember, the Bearcat had a very tinty sound, which lead me to buy the aux. speaker in the first place.

Compared to my other comms, the Midland 115 GMRS is the loudest and clearest, next the Kenwood 71a, then this Andy. I think it might be because I have the noise filters on. I will take it off next time and see if it makes a difference.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks @RoarinRow, for the review. You can never have too many coms... I need to find a vintage (1980’s) 2M radio to compliment my Bronco.
No problem, thanks for asking. Good luck on your search. I went the other way. I looked for newer aftermarket stuff to make my 2002 younger than it is lol.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Congrats on the new CB! The 980 must have been a great radio, but seeing the Pres. Andy II up on the dash makes me think the 980 must have taken a lot of the view. If you dont need the SSB, no sense in having all that bulk.

I never heard of the Pres Andy II before, just the old base stations. I'm interested in knowing what kind of range you get!

I have an old Cobra 25 LTD with weather, and an old 29 LTD with USB and LSB but no weather. I prefer to have a CB with weather but I went ahead and swapped the 25 for the 29 anyway because a real pro had worked on it and spruced it up, while i was a little unsure of the the 25's range.

While I have a couple of Cobra GMRS radios (with weather), they are handheld. So I mounted my Cobra 29 lower center (about where your Ham is).

Someday I may expand to ham.

Please keep us posted as to how well this Pres. Andy II works for you

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Congrats on the new CB! The 980 must have been a great radio, but seeing the Pres. Andy II up on the dash makes me think the 980 must have taken a lot of the view. If you dont need the SSB, no sense in having all that bulk.

I never heard of the Pres Andy II before, just the old base stations. I'm interested in knowing what kind of range you get!

I have an old Cobra 25 LTD with weather, and an old 29 LTD with USB and LSB but no weather. I prefer to have a CB with weather but I went ahead and swapped the 25 for the 29 anyway because a real pro had worked on it and spruced it up, while i was a little unsure of the the 25's range.

While I have a couple of Cobra GMRS radios (with weather), they are handheld. So I mounted my Cobra 29 lower center (about where your Ham is).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At one time I had a COBRA 140 w/SSB. It was in a smaller chassis than a 29. I liked it for the SSB, and it's more compact size, but agree that the newer, more downsized units (OP) are attractive when trying to manage 'OFFICE SPACE' in your vehicle, My Uniden 520XL will be coming out, and replaced by a Midland 77-235ESP for exactly as stated. That being a CB unit with built in weather channel, separate from a Ham unit's ability. My primary Comm unit will be my Midland GMRS 275. I can monitor both units at the same time if needed. :sunglasses: This is NOS equipment.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

Yeah the 980 is a great radio. I just had to reassess my need for it. It was originally in the lower dash not where it is in the picture. That would have been way too bulky up there. The Cobras are good rdios as well.

I did get a response back yesterday from someone responding to my radio check. I don't know where he was but was glad I was heard.

I did a SWR reading before finishing up the install and it was a 1 to 1.15 reading across the board. Will have to test range at some point.

Sound clarity was good from what I can tell. Will keep playing around with it assuming I get out of the house lol.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Congratulations on the new CB radio. The President Andy II looks good, clear controls and a bit classic look with the knobs. I like it. I also like the Jackson II very much, especially the classic look.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Congratulations on the new CB radio. The President Andy II looks good, clear controls and a bit classic look with the knobs. I like it. I also like the Jackson II very much, especially the classic look.
Thanks. I've always kept an eye out in the President line.

Reactions: El-Dracho

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Pres Andy II would probably fit well in my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Less space in that thing. That was the beginning of Jeep and other truck and SUV manufacturers filling up the interiors with comfort, but less space for these kinds of things

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
can you clarify what you mean here please. I’m confused.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a pic of the one i will install, and replace the Uniden 520XL with. It is just a bet wider, but not taller, so it will fit between the console and the seat.......next to the GMRS 275

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... That being a CB unit with built in weather channel, separate from a Ham unit's ability. ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a pic of the one i will install, and replace the Uniden 520XL with. It is just a bet wider, but not taller, so it will fit between the console and the seat.......next to the GMRS 275
Still didn’t answer my question...