Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

I have had plenty of free help with my 4Runner. I am very willing and ready to pay it forward.
I do have have a 3 ton floor jack and jack stands that can help out.

sent from my not so bright smart phone

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

It depends on how much everyone is itching to install stuff. I am off for Christmas Break the week after next or we can do it after the holidays. I want to put this warning out there, I am no mechanic, so don't plan on me taking the lead on any installs.

Climber

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia
I have a couple of items I need to put on my jeep that I have been putting off. I also talked to Climber about putting a small lift on his 4runner soon too. He thinks he is going to pay me but that isn't going to happen. When you thinkin Adam?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

I'll be glad to pay you in some form or fashion!!!
I just got my equipment in and got Bilstein 5100's and Dobison Coils and anxious to get it installed. I called around a few places and talked to someone who would do the install for $500.
I've wrenched a bit but never messed with suspensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

Rear is easy, front will take some time. Did you get a Dif drop kit?

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

It depends on how much everyone is itching to install stuff. I am off for Christmas Break the week after next or we can do it after the holidays. I want to put this warning out there, I am no mechanic, so don't plan on me taking the lead on any installs.
What projects do you have? I'm not a master mechanic by any means but I have installed several different lifts and other mods on Toyota's and jeeps. As long as it doesn't involve welding I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Reactions: Tyler.W

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

I'll be glad to pay you in some form or fashion!!!
I just got my equipment in and got Bilstein 5100's and Dobison Coils and anxious to get it installed. I called around a few places and talked to someone who would do the install for $500.
I've wrenched a bit but never messed with suspensions.

What year is your 4runner?

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I have nothing to install, I just want to help out. I have simple tools; floor jack, stands, wrenches, etc. and I am a certified youtube mechanic. I have installed coilovers, exhaust, and lots of interior bits but its mostly from my sports car days.

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

I have nothing to install, I just want to help out. I have simple tools; floor jack, stands, wrenches, etc. and I am a certified youtube mechanic. I have installed coilovers, exhaust, and lots of interior bits but its mostly from my sports car days.
I gotcha. When you mentioned bumpers earlier I got excited lol. Well I have more tools than I need and my father in law is a master mechanic. Sounds like Climbers rig needs to get taller soon. I will check our calendar tomorrow and see if we have a free weekend coming up.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I'd be open to helping install some stuff. I think the biggest thing I have to do on my Jeep is take off my rock rails to paint the holes so they don't rust. Other than that I'm pretty solid on my Jeep.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I gotcha. When you mentioned bumpers earlier I got excited lol. Well I have more tools than I need and my father in law is a master mechanic. Sounds like Climbers rig needs to get taller soon. I will check our calendar tomorrow and see if we have a free weekend coming up.

With a baby on the way the only thing I plan on getting in the next few months is a RTT so we can camp easier and I have the Frontrunner brackets ready to go for that.

Climber

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia
I like where this is headed! I did not get the diff drop and only looking to go up about 2 inches after my bumper install. I got a SSO hybrid with winch so that is going to add about 120lbs.

I have a 2017 4Runner so she is not rusty yet!

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Have you decided on a brand of tent yet? I've been really debating a RTT but am looking at ground options too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app[/QUOTE
You know what they say a big man must have a big... tent. jk but really, I am 6'7" so I am only looking at large RTT's. While I would love a top brand like Alu-Cab, Tepui, or CVT, I am leaning towards the Smittybuilt XL Overland. At under $900 it has the size I want and with the 4x4 warranty if anything goes wrong they cover it.

I don't know if they actually make these tents in the same factory as the others like everyone says but with a delivery inspection while particularly looking at zippers and metal extrusion shreds, I feel like its a safe bet.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-Lifestyle-and-Camping/Smittybilt-Overlander-XL-Roof-Top-Tent-2883.aspx?t_c=88&t_s=565&t_pt=9576&t_pn=S/B2883

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

I think those tents are bad ass but I can't get over losing all the cargo area lost on the roof rack. Granted I don't have a spare tire mount on the rear bumper I am primarily using my roof rack for that.

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

You know what they say a big man must have a big... tent. jk but really, I am 6'7" so I am only looking at large RTT's. While I would love a top brand, the Smittybuilt XL Overland. At under $900 it has the size I want and with the 4x4 warranty if anything goes wrong they cover it.

I don't know if they actually make these tents in the same factory as the others like everyone says but with a delivery inspection while particularly looking at zippers and metal extrusion shreds, I feel like its a safe bet.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-Lifestyle-and-Camping/Smittybilt-Overlander-XL-Roof-Top-Tent-2883.aspx?t_c=88&t_s=565&t_pt=9576&t_pn=S/B2883
Yeah from everything I have read is that the smittybilt tents are on par with most of the other brands like tuff stuff and other smaller companies and like you said with a warranty if it isn't up to par you can always take it back.

I really want one mainly for the cool factor lol. I am afraid on my short wheel base it may change the center of gravity too much.

I also saw online last night a guy had the arb awning like yours and also bought the four wall annex with the floor and used that as his tent. Not sure how hard the annex set up is but it was a set up that was cheaper that's for sure.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I've been interested in a RTT for a while but I think with a Jeep it's just not practical. I think I'm going to go with an offroad cargo trailer with RTT or an offroad teardrop eventually.

The thing I like about the trailer is that you can take it places and then leave it back at camp while you go explore. This allows you to hit many more trails than you would if you had to worry about the extra 100lb+ on top of the Jeep. I suppose if you plan on relatively flat trails it would work fine, but I dream of road tripping to Moab or doing the Rubicon Trail someday.

Last edited:

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

Yeah from everything I have read is that the smittybilt tents are on par with most of the other brands like tuff stuff and other smaller companies and like you said with a warranty if it isn't up to par you can always take it back.

I really want one mainly for the cool factor lol. I am afraid on my short wheel base it may change the center of gravity too much.

I also saw online last night a guy had the arb awning like yours and also bought the four wall annex with the floor and used that as his tent. Not sure how hard the annex set up is but it was a set up that was cheaper that's for sure.

Center of gravity is obviously a huge concern (especially with large tents like the one I intend to get) but the number of trails this side of the Mississippi that require lots of off camber action is limited.

Edit: This is all from what I have seen. We don't have the same boulders as out west. We have to deal with trail height and width.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

True. Back in California it's all rocks... Very dry and dusty rocks.

I've been to a couple parks around here though and things can get pretty off camber if you want, but they are also easily avoidable.