Nashville, Tennessee

• HTML tutorial

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I've been interested in a RTT for a while but I think with a Jeep it's just not practical. I think I'm going to go with an offroad cargo trailer with RTT or an offroad teardrop eventually.

The thing I like about the trailer is that you can take it places and then leave it back at camp while you go explore. This allows you to hit many more trails than you would if you had to worry about the extra 100lb+ on top of the Jeep. I suppose if you plan on relatively flat trails it would work fine, but I dream of road tripping to Moab or doing the Rubicon Trail someday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app
Damn son, I will take a bottle of Papi Van Winkle while you set up that trailer.jk I have read many takes on a trailer. One is that if you solo its great as long as you have the recovery gear. Two, if in a group be ready to either be left behind unless you are with trailer guys.

EisenYota

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingston Springs TN
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Eisenmenger
Member #

Sorry bro, land rovers only at Trader Joes lol. Lexus rigs only gain points at Whole Foods.

sent from my not so bright smart phone

Climber

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia
I'm in the very beginning stages of building up a trailer and mine will be multi-purpose for the family: Removable RTT, be able carry most of our camping gear and also carry 4 mountain bikes.
I'm definitely going with the Smitty XL as it's almost impossible to beat for the price and tons of positive reviews.

I've done a tad bit of welding and my dad was a professional welder so I'm hoping we can pull this off. I'm still struggling with how to bring along the bikes.

We already do a bit of camping but my wife is tired of sleeping on the ground so it's time to upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FiveOneFiveEight

TNDeadHead

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Columbia, Tennessee
Member #

I'm in the very beginning stages of building up a trailer and mine will be multi-purpose for the family: Removable RTT, be able carry most of our camping gear and also carry 4 mountain bikes.
I'm definitely going with the Smitty XL as it's almost impossible to beat for the price and tons of positive reviews.

I've done a tad bit of welding and my dad was a professional welder so I'm hoping we can pull this off. I'm still struggling with how to bring along the bikes.

We already do a bit of camping but my wife is tired of sleeping on the ground so it's time to upgrade!

Are you starting with a preexisting trailer or building a frame?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Really glad you guys got together and did this. Looks like everyone had fun, and the pictures are really good!

Hopefully my family and I will be able to join up with you all for a future event. This month is just terrible, schedule-wise, for me. Between work and wrapping up some school work (grad degree, 20-something years later) I've barely seen my wife and kids the past few weeks so any free time I get right now is 100% devoted to doing holiday stuff with them. :)

Reactions: TNDeadHead

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I'm thinking we should do a LBL trip soon. What do ya'll think? We could hit the Turkey Bay OHV park!

I'm also trying to go down to Adventure Offroad Park sometime for anyone that is interested.

Climber

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia
Are you starting with a preexisting trailer or building a frame?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
I'm picking up a preexisting trailer that has a heavy duty axle. It's bare bones and will require quite a bit of fabricating to get it where I want. Time to polish up my weak sauce welding skills!

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
I'm thinking we should do a LBL trip soon. What do ya'll think? We could hit the Turkey Bay OHV park!

I'm also trying to go down to Adventure Offroad Park sometime for anyone that is interested.

I have done AOR a few times in my previous rig (2012 JKU). It is far more of an off-road park for rock crawling than it is an off-road park for casual "overlanding" style travel.

Last edited:

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Ah I see. I guess I'd have to check in with my local Jeep crew instead if it's a little much for regular exploration.

They're probably better equipped for most of AOR. AOR used to have the "Green Trail" which was a fairly tame dirt/gravel/small rocks circuit road that connected the other trails. Red, Blue, Black, etc.

Edited to add...

Yep, still do. Here's the map. The green route is fairly easy. They now have Blue and Black trails. Blue is going to require a lifted vehicle, ideally with short wheel base and rock rails / fender armor. The Black trails are more for your dedicated rock crawlers.

My JKU was running 37's and a 3.5" lift, Poison Spyder steel fender armor, White Knuckle rock sliders, Poison Spyder front and rear stubby bumpers, and winch. I never had to use the winch on any of the blue trails but I was more than thankful for the relatively short wheelbase of the JKU, lift and fender armor on a few occasions on the blue trails. I would be crazy to take my Ram 2500 through any of those. :laughing:

http://www.adventureoffroadpark.com/trails-fees/

Reactions: k9sar

bval

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
Member #

Several of us did an overnight in LBL in early November and we had a blast on the Forest Service roads but stayed out of Turkey Bay as the terrain was wet. I don't think you need to go into Turkey Bay to have a good time there. The 400 level service roads have plenty of obstacles. We found lots of ruts, and quite a few challenging water crossings. Probably easier going now that the ground will be drier and harder. There were some muddy stretches in November where I was sure we were going to have to recover those of us on less aggressive tires, but we made it out just fine. The FS roads are also way kinder to the rigs in terms of pinstriping, etc.

If you can get up there early enough in the day before a hunter grabs it, the campsite at Kuttawa is very nice (though cold/windy this time of year as it's out of the trees on the lakeshore).

I wouldn't be opposed to another LBL trip but I'd really love to get some folks together to hit the Catoosa WMA or better yet run the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway up in Kentucky.

Maybe we should plan a January get together at a restaurant for those of us who couldn't make the Dirt Devil trip?

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I wouldn't be opposed to another LBL trip but I'd really love to get some folks together to hit the Catoosa WMA or better yet run the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway up in Kentucky.

Maybe we should plan a January get together at a restaurant for those of us who couldn't make the Dirt Devil trip?
That sounds good to me! Maybe a big group of us can get together to discuss some of the trails/areas we would like to explore and then tentatively set some dates to do those runs. I think that would be pretty fun and could give us all some adventures to look forward to in the new year.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I would love to do all of that but with the little one on the way the best I can probably hope for is dinner in January. I am not sure what would be central for everyone. It seems like most people are out west of downtown and also south. Would somplace like Franklin or Brentwood be central for most people?