First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Howdy all!
I'm about to head out on my first overland experience.

For years I have followed others on youtube and always felt "that could be me" and just kept the vision of me doing it in my mind as just a dream, but now it's time to do it for real.

My first experience will not be extreme or advanced in regards to being off the beaten path all the time but still be enough for me to answer the question to myself if this is my future me.

I have 21 days and a Jeep Wrangler.

I will start from LA and will head just about the route in the attached image and then return to LA.

The route is planned so I will be able to reconnect with some friends/veterans I did serve with in Afghanistan way back in the days so that might explain the unusual choices at some destinations.

Along these path I will do detours and find places where I will camp by myself, but some days will be at regular campsites, and some nights will be at hotels/friends places.
I travel by myself and I do love that. But along the path I will have a few social moments with old friends.

The Jeep is not a real rig but I do bring a tent, portable stove and all the outdoorsy things needed for shorter detours from civilization.
I will avoid the most demanding of road situations on this journey.

Any takes on the route? Doable in 21 without stress I assume?

The adventure starts on Tuesday! :)
/n
View attachment 241778

Welcome to Overland Bound, the important thing is to enjoy the journey.

BigAndy603

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dover, NH, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Brown
Wife and I are just getting into this and have been exploring getting a hiker trailer for the past couple of years. We have traditionally tent camped when we go out but looking for more comfort and ease of travel that a small trailer could provide. Currently we have a 2017 GMC Terrain which is certainly not a capable off road vehicle but we are leaning towards a Bronco possibly in the next few years as they become more readily available. I am 6'4" and a big guy and have tried a jeep as well and do not find it comfortable for me but have plenty of room in the couple of broncos we have looked at.
We are located in southern NH near the Maine boarder and frequently get out into Maine and Northern NH on my Harley but wanting to add more camping trips.
We went to the northeast overland expo at Thompson Speedway in CT yesterday and finally got to put hands on a hiker and really thinking we are going to make the move to buy one to be ready for spring camping.
Currently just joining in to learn some new things and discover new areas.

Lone Wolf 1965

Rank V

Traveler III

Casper, Natrona County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Wife and I are just getting into this and have been exploring getting a hiker trailer for the past couple of years. We have traditionally tent camped when we go out but looking for more comfort and ease of travel that a small trailer could provide. Currently we have a 2017 GMC Terrain which is certainly not a capable off road vehicle but we are leaning towards a Bronco possibly in the next few years as they become more readily available. I am 6'4" and a big guy and have tried a jeep as well and do not find it comfortable for me but have plenty of room in the couple of broncos we have looked at.
We are located in southern NH near the Maine boarder and frequently get out into Maine and Northern NH on my Harley but wanting to add more camping trips.
We went to the northeast overland expo at Thompson Speedway in CT yesterday and finally got to put hands on a hiker and really thinking we are going to make the move to buy one to be ready for spring camping.

Welcome to Overland Bound, Andrew. This is a good place to learn and get ideas.

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hallo Andrew
Welcome to OBO
WBR
Bengt N
Sweden

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Howdy all!

For years I have followed others on youtube and always felt "that could be me" and just kept the vision of me doing it in my mind as just a dream, but now it's time to do it for real.

My first experience will not be extreme or advanced in regards to being off the beaten path all the time but still be enough for me to answer the question to myself if this is my future me.

I will start from LA and will head just about the route in the attached image and then return to LA.

The route is planned so I will be able to reconnect with some friends/veterans I did serve with in Afghanistan way back in the days so that might explain the unusual choices at some destinations.

Along these path I will do detours and find places where I will camp by myself, but some days will be at regular campsites, and some nights will be at hotels/friends places.
I travel by myself and I do love that. But along the path I will have a few social moments with old friends.

The Jeep is not a real rig but I do bring a tent, portable stove and all the outdoorsy things needed for shorter detours from civilization.

/n
View attachment 241778
Hello Nicklaus, welcome to Overland Bound, have fun and be aware of you surroundings.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Andrew, welcome to Overland Bound.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey there from Long Island, NY
Welcome To Overland Bound
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About EAST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome To Overland Bound
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Check out Overland Expo About EAST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Howdy all!

/n
View attachment 241778
Welcome to Overland Bound
You might ask your trip planing question using the planing link below.
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information.
Some contacts for local information are @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) & www.Riggedfordirt.com @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Check out Overland Expo About WEST — Overland Expo®

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hey everyone! I’m Forrest. I’m 30 and I’m a full-time business owner and student studying fisheries and wildlife science focusing on Ichthyology. I live in the mountains of central Idaho with my wife and 3 dogs. I’m an avid conservationist and angler and love venturing off the beaten path to find remote, secluded fishing spots.

I own a couple rigs, a 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2, a 2005 Jeep Wrangler, a 1990 Ford F-150 and a 2004 Honda Element that you’ll never see lol.

I just bought the 2005 Wrangler in minty stock form and am in the process of building it out and getting it ready for my needs. It’s a little bit of a mad dash before snow falls because it’s going to be a third La Nina winter and likely to bring over 5 feet of snow.

As far as experience, I’ve never really considered myself an overlander until recently. However, I have been taking my rigs on sketchy roads in the Idaho mountains since I got my permit 15 years ago. But I’m sure there is much to still learn! It may be unlikely but if anyone has a 87-91 F-series truck or bronco I’m happy to help troubleshoot, I know them quite well.

View attachment 241675
View attachment 241676
View attachment 241677
Hello Forrest, welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Howdy all!

/n
View attachment 241778
Hello Nicklas, welcome to Overland Bound!

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Hello Andrew, welcome to Overland Bound!

Bad Sport

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

National City, CA, USA
First Name
Lyle
Last Name
Mardis
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Howdy all!

/n
View attachment 241778
Welcome to Overland Bound Nicklas.
Enjoy your journey.
Thanks for your service.

jobewankenobi

Rank 0

Contributor II

Russellville, AR, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Jobe
Good afternoon Gents,

I am Jeremy from Russellville, Ar. Selling my VW TDI and just purchased this beater for a song. 99 Yukon. 5.7 Vortec. Runs quieter than the VW. The yukon was about a quarter what I am getting for my VW so excited to start tinkering. Past 4x4 experience was owning 6 different IHC Scouts(2x 800's and 4 Scout II's). Wife is on-board for the tinkering and the journey. image.png

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Good afternoon Gents,

I am Jeremy from Russellville, Ar. Selling my VW TDI and just purchased this beater for a song. 99 Yukon. 5.7 Vortec. Runs quieter than the VW. The yukon was about a quarter what I am getting for my VW so excited to start tinkering. Past 4x4 experience was owning 6 different IHC Scouts(2x 800's and 4 Scout II's). Wife is on-board for the tinkering and the journey. View attachment 241956
welcome! good to have you onboard, jeremy
youre in a great spot...we started going up in that area a few years ago. stayed at dardanelle a few nights...