Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hey everyone! My husband Mike and I have been overlanding in South America for 2 years and are now concluding our trip in Chile. If you need more info on travelling in Chile during the pandemic, just ping me (:
Hello Jolyn and Mike, welcome to the OB community. Sounds like your life is packed with adventures.

Reactions: Kent R

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello, hailing from Salem, or and my gf and I started working on doing overlanding at least once a month for now and extending our trips and distances as I can afford. I have done dispersed camping from time to time within the last 20ish years but want to explore more. The most extreme thing we have done so far is actually using the gambler 500 as an overland test of sorts and my gf is wanting to do more now when we can afford (mainly it's fuel in a thirsty Toyota sequoia).

Hello , Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @jcgraves3 is your closest member representative.
To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).
Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.
Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.
Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.
Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.
Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.
Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.
Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.
Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Greetings from the beautiful Pacific Northwest. New to Overlanding but anxious to get deep into it, at least within the next several months. I'm a retired businessman, with hobbies that include recreational tree climbing, nature photography and family appreciation. My rig has been a 2001 Toyota Sequoia, but I am now on the verge of dropping the hammer for both an F150 Hybrid or Lightening, and an Overland Mission Summit camper trailer. I can't think of anything more cutting edge. My research suggest that these are both currently at the top of the game and more readily available than anything that might offer comparable options, and be available from a fair and reputable mfg/dealer. Being all electric, via solar, wind and hydro is my goal, but the extended range from a hybrid vehicle seems a lot more overland friendly.

If anyone is going through this same type of beginning mindset, please share your insights.

Hello , Welcome to Overland Bound.
I am the Northwest Director. @Ubiety is your closest member representative.
To help navigate through the forums, here are some links that can be filtered by “Region” prefix. We are in the Overland Bound North America US Northwest Region (US Northwest for short).
Overland Bound Meetups- is where all member generated rally points are posted in forum format for discussion of Rally Point and other types of Meetups. A meetup can be as simple as a group getting together for coffee, a trail ride, or a full in expedition with other Overland Bound Members.
Overland Bound Trip Planning- is a great place to talk about planning a trip wether by your self or as a group.
Overland Bound Routs: Downloadable- is exactly what it sounds like. Search, or share your GPX files here with a description of the route and POIs.
Share your Overland Routes- is similar time the downloadable posted above, but doesn’t require you to share the actual GPX file.
Overland Bound By Region < North America < US Northwest- is where you can find regional members discussing local events, Overland News, and general topics. It’s a great recourse to mete others in the regions.
Member Maps- a great trip planning tool. It can also be used to send out messages to members near your location, or a location you plan to visit.
Rally Point- a tool used to creat Meetups or send out an SOS.
Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask myself or your member representative team. Again welcome and hope to see you on the trails.
Mike Rose
Northwest Director
Overland Bound

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
OK gang, I'll bite. I'm an old "Jarhead" that has spent most of his adult life abroad for the past fifty years operating in one "shi##y" place or another. I'm used to being "expeditionary," however I no longer feel inclined to practice being miserable. I'm getting ready to again go expeditionary so I joined this forum.
Hello Charles, welcome to the OB family and thank you for your service.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey guys, I am located in El Dorado Hills, CA by Sacramento super close to the Tahoe National Forest, and a tone of public trails.
My rig is a G-Wagon and I'll upgrade suspension and tires just in the next two weeks.
I am born close to the black forest is Germany and have been since 2011 in the United States. My father is a hunter so I was off roading in forests and mountains early on. I had a VW synchro back in Germany and was hiking and skiing with my best buddies all the time. The G-Class was always a dream of mine and I materialized it now for my overlanding dreams in CA. It for a little lift, öhlins shocks, and 33" A/T tired and I call her Edelweiß. Edelweiß, is a white mountain flower belonging to the daisy or sunflower family Asteraceae. The plant prefers rocky limestone places at about 1,800–3,000 metres altitude.
Following picture is still with 22" wheel, while it will have 18" in two weeks. I was off roading even with the 22" street tires and Edelweiß ist just amazing off road. Love it and love it even more with buddies as a crew.
Hello Frank, welcome to the OB family and the the USA.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello all! My name is David, I've been lurking in the corner for long enough and finally decided to make it official and join. So here I am... I live in the Great state of Texas, Arlington Tx to be exact. I am married to my wonderful bride Daniéle and together we have our son Ollie who is 5 years old. I love being in the woods although I haven't been in a very long time. I feel the stress of "city life" and long for nature. My goal here is to not only make like-minded friends to camp and have trips with but to find a family friendly and safe environment that I can bring my son to and hopefully one day my wife as well (She is not an outdoorsy kind of person). Maybe some offer wives can help in that area...

Anyway,...My "rig" is a 2015 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I bought it a year ago and have been do little things to it here and there...window tint, rain guards, Ham radio, accessory tray, phone mount and charging station, LED lights... I have other ideas like a lift, tires, bumpers but of course those require more green stuff than I have so little bits at a time.

I do love to take road trips but again, green stuff. Back in my single days I traveled for a living and loved every minute. As for offroading, I have grown up in the Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield area and most of where I used to "offroad" has a shopping outlet or mall. I would like to check out a local offroad park in the near future so if you are interested, send me a message. That may be my first rally point.

Anyway, glad to be here and can't wait to see what the future holds!
Hello David (@Familytime), welcome to Overland Bound. I am your Southwest Region Member Rep for Texas. My wife loves the outdoors and always goes overlanding with me. If you are ever in the Central Texas area, bring her to one of our monthly meets in Round Rock and she can talk to my wife about it.

There are a couple DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

Also, if you are on Facebook, feel free to join us there as well - Overland Bound – Southwest

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello!!
Mobile, AL
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
2002 Toyota 4Runner
I grew up off-roading from as far back as I can remember. Long before the title of over landing was around. The coolest thing I remember from my childhood was off-roading the 10 mile beach on the west end of Dauphin Island, AL and camping there all weekend while fishing. My parents had Toyota’s then. One that I inherited when I turned 16 and drove all through high school. To now be back in Toyota’s and joining this community has been greatly beneficial.
Hello Lee, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey everyone! My husband Mike and I have been overlanding in South America for 2 years and are now concluding our trip in Chile. If you need more info on travelling in Chile during the pandemic, just ping me (:
Hello Jolyn & Mike, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello,
My main rig is a 1993 Jeep YJ. 4.0 with about 5.5 inch lift on 33s. I am relatively new to overlanding but not new to camping.
Hello Roy (@Overland Coasty), welcome to Overland Bound. I am your Southwest Region Member Rep for Texas

There are a couple DFW area meetups you can check out here: DFW OB meet and greet & DFW - Meet & Greet

Local information and involvement opportunities can be found here: Southwest Region (AZ/NM/TX/OK)

Looking to meet fellow members? Check out the Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups

Events in the SW region can be found here: Overland Bound Events SW Region

Want to know what members are planning? You can find out here: Overland Trip Planning

Also, if you are on Facebook, feel free to join us there as well - Overland Bound – Southwest

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

Last edited:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Greetings, everyone! I'm Brian from Mohave county, Arizona! I haven't done any overlanding yet, but I recently acquired a 2002 M1123 and I'm fixing it up with the general plan being to make it an overland vehicle that remains somewhat true to it's military history. My only inhibiting factors at this point are time and money to make it how I truly want, so this will be a long term project vehicle for me!
Hello Brian, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello everyone!

Not really all that new to off road driving, however; I am relatively new to overlanding. I got started in 2015 with a 2015 Jeep and ended up trading because of a lot of mechanical issues. I learned so valuable lessons building the JKU and took those lessons and applied them to my current Jeep JLU.

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara on an AEV 2.5 lift, 35x12.5x17, steel bumpers, 10k lb winch (synthetic) enough light to be considered a second star (I’m a night shifter, so I wheel a lot at night) and a Garvin Expedition Rack.

I’ve been to MOAB and wheeled Poison Spider Mesa, Crystal Geyser, Hell’s Revenge, Fins and Things and Top of the World. All in the JK. Next trip to MOAB is planned June 2022 in the new JLU with the 2.0 Turbo eTorque.

I do not run a RTT, but I am running a two person Australian SWAG ground tent. Learning how to pack for longer trips, but haven’t ventured past two days off grid.

I’m in Virginia, so off grid wheeling is scarce, so I have to plan trips out of state.

Looking forward to meeting new people and learning new things, while sharing what I’ve learned!
Hello Jason, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello!!! I'm new here! My wife and I are from tucson, AZ and we drive a well equipped 1970 Toyota FJ-40. We've 4-wheeled for years in South West Colorado. We're very interested in expanding day trips into longer excursions. We may be looking for an LX-470 to have a bit more room...
Hello Daric, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello, hailing from Salem, or and my gf and I started working on doing overlanding at least once a month for now and extending our trips and distances as I can afford. I have done dispersed camping from time to time within the last 20ish years but want to explore more. The most extreme thing we have done so far is actually using the gambler 500 as an overland test of sorts and my gf is wanting to do more now when we can afford (mainly it's fuel in a thirsty Toyota sequoia).
Hello Jason, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Love off-roading but really looking to get into overlanding. I’m using a 04 Silverado 1500HD. Planing a trip to Land Between the Lakes, and later Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway Ky.
Hello Aaron, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Good morning all,

New member from St. Louis Missouri. I drive a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser. Still relatively new to Overlanding, however my wife and I have been camping for years and doing smaller trips.

Still learning the ropes of the website, however am not new to forums so it's all feeling pretty familiar.

Thank you.
Hello Alex, welcome to the OB family.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Greetings from the beautiful Pacific Northwest. New to Overlanding but anxious to get deep into it, at least within the next several months. I'm a retired businessman, with hobbies that include recreational tree climbing, nature photography and family appreciation. My rig has been a 2001 Toyota Sequoia, but I am now on the verge of dropping the hammer for both an F150 Hybrid or Lightening, and an Overland Mission Summit camper trailer. I can't think of anything more cutting edge. My research suggest that these are both currently at the top of the game and more readily available than anything that might offer comparable options, and be available from a fair and reputable mfg/dealer. Being all electric, via solar, wind and hydro is my goal, but the extended range from a hybrid vehicle seems a lot more overland friendly.

If anyone is going through this same type of beginning mindset, please share your insights.
Hello John, welcome to the OB family.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Good morning all,

New member from St. Louis Missouri. I drive a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser. Still relatively new to Overlanding, however my wife and I have been camping for years and doing smaller trips.

Still learning the ropes of the website, however am not new to forums so it's all feeling pretty familiar.

Thank you.
Hello Alex, welcome to Overland Bound.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Hello John, welcome to Overland Bound. So I was wondering, do you use hooks to climb with? I am a longtime lineman for a telco (baby bell) and I used to, when younger, hook poles.