Contributor III

St Stephens, SC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Smith
Service Branch
Army
Hello. I'm Mike and am new to overland. Actually I've only read about it and watched alot of videos. I have camped in tents for years and slept in the bed of my truck twice with a kodiac truck tent. I sold all my gear but I'm wanting to get back into camping. Especially try overland. I own a 2005 F150 FX4. I'm wanting to build it up for adventure. Nothing too hardcore. I'm around St. Stephens, SC. Looking forward to meeting ya'll and some adventures. Thank you.
received_439217303536014.jpeg

Hello!
My name is Martin. My wife and I live in the upper hills of Oakland CA. We just bought a 2019 taco Off Road access cab in Cement. I sold a business recently, so I'm retired for the time being. At 54, I'm still pretty active and look forward to exploring the West this year. I'm contemplating getting a Four Wheel Camper vs an overland setup. We've had pop-up trailers in the past and really liked the easy setup, a heater, storage, comfortable sleeping. We've never been interested in using the onboard toilet. Can we build and overland that ticks those boxes? I'd prefer to not have a FWC sitting on the driveway...
Into biking, hiking, fly fishing, travel, sports cars, food. I'm not really interested in getting the photo of three wheels in the air trying to climb a boulder with the truck.

Help finding links to a few threads on building a late model taco would be really helpful. I know that there is a lot of info here, but there is a lot to wade through.

Thanks
Martin

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hello everyone, glad to have found this place as it seems more up my alley than many similar groups. I feel I have a lot to contribute here, and look forward to meeting others and helping where I can!

About me:

- Former Combat Medic and Paratrooper, US Army
- Currently stay-at-home-Dad! It's pretty rad. I take the kids out on adventures as often as I can, and am eager to make those trips larger and longer as they grow.
- Always have been adventurous, lived in Europe for several years, love road tripping, but finally got a proper rig this year.
- Currently in SC but moving to WA at the end of this year. Gonna be a hell of a trip there!

My rig:

- Brand new 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, Voodoo Blue

My Experience:

- Lots of trauma medicine
- Driving HMMWV's off road in Germany and Italy
- 10+ years of road tripping and overlanding
Welcome. There is a whole lot to see coming across the country. Did it 3ish years ago and it was great. Don't forget to check out NV when you pass through. AMD nice rig...I'm bias of course [emoji41] you may want to check out the 4Runner's registry thread also

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Welcome. There is a whole lot to see coming across the country. Did it 3ish years ago and it was great. Don't forget to check out NV when you pass through. AMD nice rig...I'm bias of course [emoji41] you may want to check out the 4Runner's registry thread also

Oh yeah we're talking a different route this time, as before we were in SC we came from central CA. Already planning the trip almost a year out haha. Never been to Moab but I think that'll be on the list.

Thanks for the registry link! Yep didn't see that until you showed it to me. Much appreciated!

Also here's a pic since I forgot hah: unnamed (1).jpg

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hello everyone, glad to have found this place as it seems more up my alley than many similar groups. I feel I have a lot to contribute here, and look forward to meeting others and helping where I can!

About me:

- Former Combat Medic and Paratrooper, US Army
- Currently stay-at-home-Dad! It's pretty rad. I take the kids out on adventures as often as I can, and am eager to make those trips larger and longer as they grow.
- Always have been adventurous, lived in Europe for several years, love road tripping, but finally got a proper rig this year.
- Currently in SC but moving to WA at the end of this year. Gonna be a hell of a trip there!

My rig:

- Brand new 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, Voodoo Blue

My Experience:

- Lots of trauma medicine
- Driving HMMWV's off road in Germany and Italy
- 10+ years of road tripping and overlanding
Welcome! What part of Washington are you moving to?

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Location is Columbia TN.

2011 T4R SR5

Overlanding Experience Background is a novice but very experienced hiking/backpacking.

Looking for good info on removing front bumper and replacing it with something.
Hey there and welcome!

I'm new here too, also starting my build from stock.

I've been looking at this front bumper from SSO but haven't decided, but I'll probably go this route:

2014+ 4Runner Slimline Hybrid front bumper – CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN – Southern Style OffRoad

I like it because its not full size, weighs a whole hell of a lot less, but still has winch functionality and some damage resistance. I get the whole point of more heavy-duty front/rear bumpers but man, together those can add upwards of 1000 lbs to an already heavy 4Runner. Sure you can carry more gear but mpg would suffer as well as suspension, etc.

That's just me though!

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Junction City

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey there and welcome!

I'm new here too, also starting my build from stock.

I've been looking at this front bumper from SSO but haven't decided, but I'll probably go this route:

2014+ 4Runner Slimline Hybrid front bumper – CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN – Southern Style OffRoad

I like it because its not full size, weighs a whole hell of a lot less, but still has winch functionality and some damage resistance. I get the whole point of more heavy-duty front/rear bumpers but man, together those can add upwards of 1000 lbs to an already heavy 4Runner. Sure you can carry more gear but mpg would suffer as well as suspension, etc.

That's just me though!
Well said. Weight kills just like treking in the woods

Reactions: Brick Sprickly

XL OVERLAND

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello and welcome to the Overland Bound community @XL OVERLAND. You are in a great location to begin exploring as an overlander. There is so much you can do and there are also a number of fellow Overland Bound members in the area to do it with. I recommend checking out the Overland Bound NorthWest Region forum [link] for meetups and to get to know your neighbors. Events are also posted on the Rally Point system [link], so you might want to check that out as well. If your interested in events a little south of you, check out the events being planned by @Roy & Kristin Zirpoli.

I look forward to seeing you out there! If you need anything, feel free to hit me up on the forums: @Jedi.
Awesome thank you!

AdvPass

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6FCS
Hello Overlanders!

I'm moving from tent camping to more adventurous soft roading in my new rig. I'm new to this world and learning as much as I can as fast as I can. I'm looking forward to contributing to the community and I hope to meet some of you on the trails.

Rig in progress: 2019 Honda Passport