Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Speaking of which. Is there a thread with everyone's instagrams? If they wish to share it, I mean.
Now that you mention it, I swear there used to be. I can't find it now though. Maybe I'm nuts.
Nope, not nuts. Here's a link to the Members' Instagram thread. Oddly enough, it does *not* show up when searching the forum by title. Weird. Perhaps @administrator or one of the moderators could sticky that thread so it stays visible.

http://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/members-instagram-id.89/

Reactions: rooster_sauce

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I would definitely spring for a diesel if they were cheaper! I just can't justify the price and everything that goes into the conversion kit. I've always had dreams of dropping a SB350, carburetor, and gutting out all of the electronics, now that would be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yah, it's a bit pricey. I'm happy with a gas engine. Just would like a little more low end torque. I just had a new lift put in (3" zone lift) and had my front axle sleeved and gusseted. Sitting on 33's for now. Just can't justify the cost of 35's right now. Mine's an unlimited but fortunately came with 4:10 gears. They only did that in 2007 for the Unlimited.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Hi everybody.
I'm from Denmark and I drive a 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5, been offroading for the last 15 years (on/off). Denmark is pretty flat so when offroading here it's usually in rented military training grounds = very expensive = not that often :-(
Talked The Wife in to buying a rooftent 2 years ago and we are getting more and more in to it, started out on a couple of weekendtrips and last summer we went to Britain for a hole 2 weeks roof top teenting only. So this summer we are talking about going to Sweden where wild camping is allowed....View attachment 1727View attachment 1728View attachment 1729
Welcome to the Group, I like your setup.

Hendo

Rank 0

Traveler I

Gday all,
Just joined the forum, just getting back into the good life after a too many years of not doing it. I'm an Aussie, but like the feel of the forum and the general culture I've seen so far, so here I am. Bit of a Land Cruiser nut (which is how I came across OB in the first place) but have a couple of series Land Rovers as well, just to keep life unpredictable. My wife and my immediate plans include getting away with our FZJ80 more often with the kids, and building up our FJ45 as a bit of a camping truck for the two of us to get away when we don't have the kids. I hope to share what I can and learn a lot along the way. I must say I'm really encouraged by the whole OB focus on getting out and away in whatever you've got, and helping each other out along the way. It's so refreshing these days and the way that life should be!
Cheers,
Matt

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome, @Hendo

Many of us her are envious of the toys that you have available down under, and the wealth of accessories. I know I'd certainly like to have the two-speed gearbox Australian Outbacks used to get, and a Turbo Brumby would be awesome!

Reactions: Hendo

ryanstl

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi, my name is Ryan and I live in a suburb of St. Louis called Kirkwood. A few months ago I sold a '14 Subaru XV, which I loved, and bought a 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser. The main reason was to get a third row for my family of seven (counting Laura and I). The other vehicle is a 2012 Odyssey, but after a few years it became very apparent we needed both vehicles to have three rows. Also, having no car payment was another motivating factor.

We started doing family camping two years ago. We found some other couples with kids that like to camp and it has been a lot of fun. We started knowing nothing and have now progressed to getting a hitch and pulling a trailer to bring all our gear and bikes, etc. Learning how to pack was major for us. Our camp trips are at MO state parks that don't require an off road vehicle.

Overlanding is something I have always thought would be a lot of fun. I have never had a vehicle even close to capable. So, now with the 100 series TLC I would like to do try this type of adventure. One of my buddies that camps with us also has an 80 series TLC. He babies it, which I don't blame him because those too me are near classic status. Anyway, I want to talk him into a trip.

My plan is to find a road we can take our families on with some cool dirt roads, nothing extreme because we are stock. The idea is to do a drive where our other cars can't take us and picnic and drive back. I have searched and searched and it looks to me like the St. Louis area is void of these types of roads. I was able to find reference to one road I will try this spring which is Lost Creek Road in St. Charles County. I would appreciate any advice on where to drive within a couple hours of St. Louis.

Cheers,
Ryan

Reactions: Byron Eby

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Welcome aboard, Ryan! Here in northern Ohio we are a lot like what you describe, with nothing resembling the awesome photos other members show on here. Nothing but pavement for hours in any direction.

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Gday all,
Just joined the forum, just getting back into the good life after a too many years of not doing it. I'm an Aussie, but like the feel of the forum and the general culture I've seen so far, so here I am. Bit of a Land Cruiser nut (which is how I came across OB in the first place) but have a couple of series Land Rovers as well, just to keep life unpredictable. My wife and my immediate plans include getting away with our FZJ80 more often with the kids, and building up our FJ45 as a bit of a camping truck for the two of us to get away when we don't have the kids. I hope to share what I can and learn a lot along the way. I must say I'm really encouraged by the whole OB focus on getting out and away in whatever you've got, and helping each other out along the way. It's so refreshing these days and the way that life should be!
Cheers,
Matt
Welcome to the Group,

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Gday all,
Cheers,
Matt
Hey Matt welcome mate great to see a another Aussie here , theirs only a couple of us

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Hi Everybody,

Sorry been a bit slow getting around to this since joining before Christmas but I'm here now. So we're based in the UK and own a LandCruiser 78 series. We've done a few trips around UK & Europe but by far the best/most adventurous one was Morocco in late 2010 with a UK based overland travel company ... hoping to go back again this year.

[Photo is us camped in the Moroccan desert]

Cheers, Tim

Morocco_2010.jpg

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Gday all,
Cheers,
Matt
Welcome to the forum. The inclusiveness is what got me to stick around too. Tired of the divisiveness on other forums. Looking forward to seeing some images of your LR's and hearing about your journeys in Australia.

Reactions: Michael and SLO Rob

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Hi, my name is Ryan and I live in a suburb of St. Louis called Kirkwood. A few months ago I sold a '14 Subaru XV, which I loved, and bought a 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser. The main reason was to get a third row for my family of seven (counting Laura and I). The other vehicle is a 2012 Odyssey, but after a few years it became very apparent we needed both vehicles to have three rows. Also, having no car payment was another motivating factor.

We started doing family camping two years ago. We found some other couples with kids that like to camp and it has been a lot of fun. We started knowing nothing and have now progressed to getting a hitch and pulling a trailer to bring all our gear and bikes, etc. Learning how to pack was major for us. Our camp trips are at MO state parks that don't require an off road vehicle.

Overlanding is something I have always thought would be a lot of fun. I have never had a vehicle even close to capable. So, now with the 100 series TLC I would like to do try this type of adventure. One of my buddies that camps with us also has an 80 series TLC. He babies it, which I don't blame him because those too me are near classic status. Anyway, I want to talk him into a trip.

My plan is to find a road we can take our families on with some cool dirt roads, nothing extreme because we are stock. The idea is to do a drive where our other cars can't take us and picnic and drive back. I have searched and searched and it looks to me like the St. Louis area is void of these types of roads. I was able to find reference to one road I will try this spring which is Lost Creek Road in St. Charles County. I would appreciate any advice on where to drive within a couple hours of St. Louis.

Cheers,
Ryan
Hey Ryan, I'm upstream from you in Davenport, IA. I have several family members in SL and KC, so I'm in Missouri often. Spent a bit of time with ex-family down in Bloomfield, near Cape Girardeau. I'd think there should be some trails down that way, or near Branson. I know when I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, there were some great off road trails. But not sure if they are accessible to civvies. The wife and I do "micro trips" and I'm beginning to research backroads along the Misssissippi. Up here there are a few camp grounds along the river. Aside from the mountain trails in Colorado, it's fun to travel backroads and see "Americana". Wish I could be of more help.

Reactions: Michael