Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I found a half normal size can of Spam at Walmart when getting some stuff for a solo trip. I diced it up, fried it to a light crisp, added diced zuchini and rice and then a slice of cheese and packet of Louisiana hot sauce at the end. Great way to wrap up a long day of offroading and hiking.

Attachments

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Firstly, it's kind of awesome that Grubworm's hilarious OP sparked 40 pages of Spam related shenanigans.

Also, I have a spam dish I tried. I took a can of spam and a box of hamburger helper. I diced up the spam nice and small, then made it up with the hamburger helper. To thicken it, I crushed a "camping size" box of corn pops into powder and mixed it in. You couldn't detect the flavour of the cereal but it thickened the sauce up nicely. Overall, pretty tasty dish! I had also had fried spam patties with eggs for breakfast on the same trip, and really, it's not too bad. My first time ever having spam, btw.

Edit: I just had an evil thought that I should troll the mods by reporting this thread for excessive spam. lol

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am always using SPAM and cooked this one up recently for my channel. It was really good and had to fight downing the whole dang can! You check it out here if interested-it is a sort of riff on the PF Chang's lettuce wraps but is super easy to make.

Last edited:

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I am always using SPAM and cooked this one up recently for my channel. It was really good and had to fight downing the whole dang can! You check it out here if interested-it is a sort of riff on the PF Chang's lettuce wraps but is super easy to make.
Well played. Your video reminded me that for the life of me I cannot find the standard Chili Garlic sauce in stores. I see you are using the chili crisp which I have tried as a substitute and it doesn't cut it for me. So I looked up why the heck I cannot find the standard and it is due to chili pepper shortages. Mainly affecting Siracha but others sauces as well. Even Amazon is out of my favorite brand chili garlic sauce.

Since all I can find these days is the chili crisp I thought maybe everyone was using that and demand dropped off of the standard. I may have to order one of the brands off of amazon that actually is in stock. None of my local stores have the chili garlic sauce available and of course I have been too stubborn to ask why.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Well played. Your video reminded me that for the life of me I cannot find the standard Chili Garlic sauce in stores. I see you are using the chili crisp which I have tried as a substitute and it doesn't cut it for me. So I looked up why the heck I cannot find the standard and it is due to chili pepper shortages. Mainly affecting Siracha but others sauces as well. Even Amazon is out of my favorite brand chili garlic sauce.

Since all I can find these days is the chili crisp I thought maybe everyone was using that and demand dropped off of the standard. I may have to order one of the brands off of amazon that actually is in stock. None of my local stores have the chili garlic sauce available and of course I have been too stubborn to ask why.
What is the specific brand you prefer?

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have just been on a chili crisp kick for a bit but have not landed on a “best” one yet. I can see where is is a different animal though and the two don’t really substitute.

I have not looked for or bought chili garlic lately but hope any shortage corrects itself next growing season!

Reactions: grubworm

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

You might try this. I am a fan of this guys (good YouTube by the same name).

Reactions: grubworm and Nickel

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

You might try this. I am a fan of this guys (good YouTube by the same name).

LOL, thanks I actually found that same recipe yesterday! Thing is a smaller jar/container of it lasts at least 6-months for me and I wouldn't trust anything homemade to have the same shelf life. I made some copycat hot Chipotle Salsa recipe a few years ago. And while it was good, it was a lot o work for the yield I got and at the end of the day it just wasn't worth it to me to make it. Not enough time on my hands.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm headed for Arkansas for 4 days or so. Got a couple cans of SPAM in the packup. Goign to have to do some SPAM, eggs, and rice for breakfast one morning. Maybe some kind of SPAM recipie for dinner one night too.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'm headed for Arkansas for 4 days or so. Got a couple cans of SPAM in the packup. Goign to have to do some SPAM, eggs, and rice for breakfast one morning. Maybe some kind of SPAM recipie for dinner one night too.
love it! last time i was in arkansas i took my oldest camping in the ozarks and we had SPAM burritos...

Reactions: Correus and Downs

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

There's not much better than a good ole fashioned fried Spam sandwich on the trail!
You hit on one of my favorite ways to eat Spam. I will slice it with a tomato slicer and fry up a few pieces. While it's frying I'll make a couple pieces of toast. I slather the toast with a little butter and then some spicy German mustard. Then the Spam goes on top of that (typically 2 pieces of Spam per slice of toast, but sometimes 3). Then I put some cheese on top - sometimes it's Kraft slices, sometimes sliced sharp cheddar, provolone or what ever cheese sounds good, including pepper jack. Then I place it all under the broiler till the cheese is melted and slightly browned.

As the old folks say "mmm... them's good eats".

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife found a tik-tok vid of people making their own deli meat and avoiding the preservatives and junk that they are loaded with. i bought this off amazon, called a ham press, and found a lot of good recipes for making deli meat from chicken, pork loin, etc. also found this site for making SPAM at home.

i think eating healthy goes hand in hand... or rather, spork in hand, with overlanding, traveling, camping, whatever.
so...with this contraption, i will be taking SPAM to another level...:sunglasses:

press.png

Reactions: Correus