HiLift jack: is it really needed?

• HTML tutorial
I have one, scary as hell though, in fact I have a fraze "If MAXTRAX don't do ya a high lift will screw ya" my old high lift slipped and bent a friend's landcruisers axle on landing. I now have a D44 high lift jack and it seems much better build quality.

Thanks

Kyle

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using OB Talk mobile app

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
There are a ton of knock offs, but remember to get a tall one if you run a lifted rig. It helps. I've seen people get the regular hiLift and not be able to get a tire off the ground.

Make sure your dental insurance is paid up.

Reactions: TurboDiesel67

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
I feel like it is one of those things that you rarely need but when you do it is essential. Gotta weigh your options too. I only take mine when soloing. I often rely on someone else toting one along.

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I do a ton of solo treks. I carry a winch, a bottle jack, and a brain. I have used the winch 7 times since I got it. Never to get myself out. It is a multi-mount and sits in a receiver bolted to the floor inside out of the elements until needed, at which time it plugs in either the front or rear bumper. I have power wired to Andersen connectors both front and back.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

It is better to be safe than sorry. I agree with @Bandit , when you need it you need it and if you don't have it you are up a creek. Get a good mount kit out of the way from other necessities.

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

You need to remember the Hilift jack has more uses then just to change a tire. It can help you get out of muck/mud, it can help you get off of rocks, and even help you with recovery but hooking to a winch and using it as an anchor.

Reactions: Stone74

Cobblecrazy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno
Just as everyone else has chimed in, I had one for several years and used it once, but it was nice to know it was there. During a change in vehicles I farmed out the jack to someone who had need of it. Since that person had low funds and used it in a variety of ways, I let him keep the jack. Fast forward to today, and now I'm in the "waning" steps of a 4runner build, I come to the question of whether to get another one, or not.

As I was perusing the options I came across the Hi Lift First Responder jack, and I was interested to see if this could be a little better than the original (there is a kit to do a conversion but pricey). It's twice the price of the extreme Hi Lift, but I really like the base in this model. I know there are some aftermarket bases out there but it would bring it up to the price of the First responder.

Reactions: Stone74