Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
In my thread "Overland weight Loss", their has been a side discussion related to wether a HiLift jack is really required kit. We all seem to carry one. Most of us may have used one a few times, and know how unstable they can be. They have been an assumed part of most Overlanders kit for as long as I have been exploring. Has the HiLift jack, become so intrenched in the the community, we never really challenge if their aren't better solutions.

Based on some compelling, real world experience shared by other OB members, I'm now considering dropping my HiLift, and using a combination of my X-Jack, and a UniJack. What does the OB community think about this? Any other ideas for replacement jacks: that are better, lighter, safer then a HiLift? Is the idea to abandon the HiLift crazy?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I agree that the high lift is overly recommended for vehicles and most people probably don't need one. I typically see plenty of people carrying them for the looks though. When I was at the coast this weekend, I saw a bunch of "off-road" vehicles with high lift jacks so rusted up you probably couldn't sell them for scrap, much less use them how they were intended.

I moved my hi-lift from my jeep to my trailer when I put the electric winch on my bumper. I use it regularly on the trailer so it is actually much more convenient, it just requires more maintenance now that it is exposed to sand, grime and rain.

I don't own an all-in-one jack but I like the idea.

Reactions: britz

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
It's a tough call. I carried a high lift jack in my Jeep on dozens of trips, and never used it. Part of the reason was that it was difficult to get to, and the few times we did need a high lift we used someone else's that was more accessible.

When I bought the 4Runner in 2009 I decided to start leaving the high lift at home, and I have never regretted it.

Here is my reasoning:
- The high lift is big and heavy and takes up a lot of room.
- They are dangerous if not used properly.
- You cannot safely go under the truck while it is supported on a high lift, so unless you also bring jackstands (or trust rocks/logs) you are limited in what you can repair.
- If I did bring the high lift I'd probably put it on the roof which raises the center of gravity (bad) and leaves it exposed to weather. You can of course buy covers for the mechanism if you want).

The factory jack that comes with the 4Runner is quite good, and with a jack adapter (https://sites.google.com/site/landcruiserproducts/jack-adapter) and a plywood base plate it works well off road. Like the high lift you cannot trust it enough to go under the truck, but it lifts high enough to remove a tire if needed.

The only time I've ever "needed" a high lift was when a novice driver hit an obstacle too fast and somehow managed to high center with a large, pointed rock wedged between their transfer case and the frame rail. Winching was not an option since it would damage the transfer case or the frame, so we used a high lift to jack up the truck and then get it off the rock. But, you could do the same thing with a good factory jack and some rock stacking.

To me the weight and size of a high lift is not worth the limited benefits. If I had a full size truck and more room I might bring it along, but with a medium SUV it doesn't make sense to me.

- Matt

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

It may be overkill till you actually need it but depending on where you are, it just might be a life saver.

I have only used mine a couple times in 7 years but each of those times it would have been impossible to free myself without it...

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I have never considered heading offroad without one. To help with stability there are various solutions.

The comments about needing a jack stand for under vehicle repairs is worth heading. This is an excellent solution for that. https://safejacks.com/collections/frontpage/products/12-x-12-compact-jack-stand-kit

If you ever need to break the bead on a tire in the field, you will be happy that you brought the Hi-Lift along. The jack can be used to compress the sidewall of at tire to break the bead.

It can also be used as a manual "jaws of life" to pry open a door or window if crushed in a vehicle roll over.

To me, trying to save weight be removing this piece of recovery gear may not be a good idea. I would look elsewhere to save a little more weight.

-- Bennett

Reactions: tnev35 and Mekcanix

Traveler I

usa
It's a tough call. I carried a high lift jack in my Jeep on dozens of trips, and never used it. Part of the reason was that it was difficult to get to, and the few times we did need a high lift we used someone else's that was more accessible.

When I bought the 4Runner in 2009 I decided to start leaving the high lift at home, and I have never regretted it.

Here is my reasoning:
- The high lift is big and heavy and takes up a lot of room.
- They are dangerous if not used properly.
- You cannot safely go under the truck while it is supported on a high lift, so unless you also bring jackstands (or trust rocks/logs) you are limited in what you can repair.
- If I did bring the high lift I'd probably put it on the roof which raises the center of gravity (bad) and leaves it exposed to weather. You can of course buy covers for the mechanism if you want).

The factory jack that comes with the 4Runner is quite good, and with a jack adapter (https://sites.google.com/site/landcruiserproducts/jack-adapter) and a plywood base plate it works well off road. Like the high lift you cannot trust it enough to go under the truck, but it lifts high enough to remove a tire if needed.

The only time I've ever "needed" a high lift was when a novice driver hit an obstacle too fast and somehow managed to high center with a large, pointed rock wedged between their transfer case and the frame rail. Winching was not an option since it would damage the transfer case or the frame, so we used a high lift to jack up the truck and then get it off the rock. But, you could do the same thing with a good factory jack and some rock stacking.

To me the weight and size of a high lift is not worth the limited benefits. If I had a full size truck and more room I might bring it along, but with a medium SUV it doesn't make sense to me.

- Matt
Good call on the Jack Adapter makes changing a tire or trail repair much safer and doesnt take up any room.

TheAdventurousMind

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yorba Linda, CA
Member #

I've never been a fan of HiLifts. If for tire changing reasons, I would prefer having an aluminum floor jack. Craftsman used to be the go-to, but crazy enough, Harbor Freight makes one that is on par with the Craftsman jack. A bottle jack would work great for high centered issues. Just stack rocks for height if you don't have extensions.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

After aforementioned discussion, I'm at the thought of leaving it at home based on the trip I'm taking and not a set answer.

Daily driving / commuting to work in the city, nope.
Trips with multiple rigs with at least one Hi-lift amongst the rigs? nope.
Solo trip where I am the only rig and will travel large distances, or be out of cell coverage for parts, yep.
Simple easy solo trip where I am not doing anything beyond some unpaved roads? probably not.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
After aforementioned discussion, I'm at the thought of leaving it at home based on the trip I'm taking and not a set answer.

Daily driving / commuting to work in the city, nope.
Trips with multiple rigs with at least one Hi-lift amongst the rigs? nope.
Solo trip where I am the only rig and will travel large distances, or be out of cell coverage for parts, yep.
Simple easy solo trip where I am not doing anything beyond some unpaved roads? probably not.
I like your take on this. Like most things, the situation will dictate.

Reactions: Barbara Wada

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Another angle on this is space in your rig. I've now used other persons tractions boards many more times than I've used my hi-lift. So, does it make more sense to buy a set of traction boards and carry those in the same space that was occupied by the Hi'lift? Possibly.

Reactions: Mekcanix

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Another angle on this is space in your rig. I've now used other persons tractions boards many more times than I've used my hi-lift. So, does it make more sense to buy a set of traction boards and carry those in the same space that was occupied by the Hi'lift? Possibly.
This makes sense. I'm lucky, I have the AEV tire carrier on my Jeep. This makes getting to my HiLift really easy. My Maxtrax are even faster to deploy. Others use my MaxTrax way more then I do. Had to replace a couple, do to warn nubs.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Traveling alone I would go without HiLo, get into a place where I need to winch out and have to depend on a single point of failure (winch) just isn't ideal. The diversity of the HiLo is what makes it so valuable, winch, tire bead breaker, jack, leverage point for land anchor , and numerous other applications that arrive due to necessity.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I don't carry mine every day, yet.. Still working on a nice locking mount for my new roof rack. But, I will never go out on a trip, trail run or trip to the local ORV without it. Only time i'd skip is if my group has gear packing planned.. I bring chainsaw and then the other dude would bring the HiLift or vice-versa.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I had thoughts of taking mine off before as well since I hadn't ever used it. Every time somebody else needed a jack on the trail (only happened twice that i remember), somebody else had their hi-lift ready before i knew it. I have mine mounted in front of my driver door, so it's out of the way, weight is low, and is easy to access, so i just left it on. Last month I got high centered bad enough that the guy winching me couldn't pull me out - his winch just pulled him to me. Thankfully i had my hilift, because it was the only way i was getting out of there. A few minutes of jacking me up and tossing some rocks under a wheel and i was out of there. If i had known it would go that fast, i would have done that right from the start and not dealt with the winch. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it at this point. Especially considering all the other uses it provides as well.

For as much concern as there is about HiLift jack safety, it is also worth considering the fact that the winch probably has just as much or possibly more injury potential if not used properly - which i've seen way too often.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

As long a I have been off roading 28 years, and going into places tow trucks don't go, also having burned out a winch and only had the high lift to winch me out more than once, not to mention, trail side tire changes and patches, u-joint repairs.
I prefers to be self sufficient and have it regardless of weight.
Not to mention I usually end up helping those without a high lift.
In the end it is a personal decision based on your own experience....besides just because you've never used yours doesn't mean you won't need it. When u leave the pavement and go remote.....well it's your call.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I had thoughts of taking mine off before as well since I hadn't ever used it. Every time somebody else needed a jack on the trail (only happened twice that i remember), somebody else had their hi-lift ready before i knew it. I have mine mounted in front of my driver door, so it's out of the way, weight is low, and is easy to access, so i just left it on. Last month I got high centered bad enough that the guy winching me couldn't pull me out - his winch just pulled him to me. Thankfully i had my hilift, because it was the only way i was getting out of there. A few minutes of jacking me up and tossing some rocks under a wheel and i was out of there. If i had known it would go that fast, i would have done that right from the start and not dealt with the winch. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it at this point. Especially considering all the other uses it provides as well.

For as much concern as there is about HiLift jack safety, it is also worth considering the fact that the winch probably has just as much or possibly more injury potential if not used properly - which i've seen way too often.

[/QUOTE
Thanks for the post. Real world experience is always informative. I have a question: do you think that a different kind of jack, could have performed the same recovery? I'm asking, because I have used an XJack for the same type of recovery. I tend to pull out the XJack, much sooner then my HiLift. Just always seems like a safer option to me. What's your opinion on this?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
As long a I have been off roading 28 years, and going into places tow trucks don't go, also having burned out a winch and only had the high lift to winch me out more than once, not to mention, trail side tire changes and patches, u-joint repairs.
I prefers to be self sufficient and have it regardless of weight.
Not to mention I usually end up helping those without a high lift.
In the end it is a personal decision based on your own experience....besides just because you've never used yours doesn't mean you won't need it. When u leave the pavement and go remote.....well it's your call.
It sounds like you have used your HiLift much more than I have. Do you also carry jack stands for the repairs?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thanks for the post. Real world experience is always informative. I have a question: do you think that a different kind of jack, could have performed the same recovery? I'm asking, because I have used an XJack for the same type of recovery. I tend to pull out the XJack, much sooner then my HiLift. Just always seems like a safer option to me. What's your opinion on this?
That's a great question, for this particular situation, an XJack would probably not have been a realistic option. Here in AZ, when you get stuck, you are typically on some relatively hard/sharp/rocky terrain, and at least according to the XJack literature, those are only meant for use on sand, grass, mud, and other "soft" ground. Another thing to point out is that I ended up using my Lift-Mate so we could lift a wheel directly for the easiest/fastest extraction, because, again, the terrain was uneven sharp rocks, so our jack location options were limited to some extent. Using a wheel for a jack point is also not an option with an XJack