Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Related question. Is storing a HiLift on a front bumper/bull bar, up on or near the hood...safe?

If you get in a head on crash, and it busts the mounts, wont that fly straight through the windshield into your face?

Seems like a rear bumper/swing out or rear bumper mount is the safest place. Even roof rack mounts seem scary for some reason. Those things are a missile waiting to happen.

I have only ever used a farm jack on a farm. I am just now getting the right sliders and rear bumper to be able to use something like that, but they seem scary to me for vehicle use. I'd prefer to not carry one if a good tall bottle jack or something else would work. But again, I don't have a lot of experience yet.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
That's a great question, for this particular situation, an XJack would probably not have been a realistic option. Here in AZ, when you get stuck, you are typically on some relatively hard/sharp/rocky terrain, and at least according to the XJack literature, those are only meant for use on sand, grass, mud, and other "soft" ground. Another thing to point out is that I ended up using my Lift-Mate so we could lift a wheel directly for the easiest/fastest extraction, because, again, the terrain was uneven sharp rocks, so our jack location options were limited to some extent. Using a wheel for a jack point is also not an option with an XJack
Thanks, that's a compelling reason to keep the HiLift jack in service.

Reactions: Barbara Wada

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I carry both a stock bottle (scew style) jack and high lift style (aka farm jack, smittybilt currently) that I've used allot. While I think almost every use has been covered, I'll recap what I've used mine for:

- chaining the axle and lifting over 2 feet up when I've rolled a bead and the truck is on a down hill slope (not possible with a bottle jack)
- popping beads on a tire to change a broken valve stem, remove grit from the bead seat, change a tire on a rim by hand

- using the jack as a come-along style winch, when your stuck where u can't winch (like from behind when it's narrow and your pulling up the caboose)
- detaching the jack arm and using it as a cheater on your breaker bar

I've seen the unijack in action, and they're great, especially for safety and crawling under, but you save no weight nor space with that (if that's a real concern)

For a faster, light weight, jack like Jeff pointed out, the aluminum HF floor jacks work great. Putting a flat skid on them in Baja is super common.

All in all, I carry my high lift where a tow truck can't get to me. If you going with friends, you can share some tools and parts, but never assume they have tools for you without asking before you leave home. Your ultimately responsible for yourself and you shouldn't assume that someone will always have what you need.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
This is a great discussion, lots of good reasons for and against carrying a high lift.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that if you are going to carry a high lift make sure you have places where you can use it. I know this is somewhat obvious, but I see a lot of overland style rigs with a high lift on the roof but stock front and rear bumpers and no sliders. To be fair, they could have a tire adapter in their rig, but that doesn't help if you need to change a tire.

For example, on my 4Runner I can use a high lift on the frame-mounted sliders to lift either side, or I can use it in the trailer hitch to lift the rear, but here is not really a good lift point on my front ARB bumper.

Personally, I think I'll continue to leave mine at home. I carry a full sized spare and a patch kit, so I don't see much likely hood of having to reseat a bead on the trail (I'm not crossing the Kalahari). In the extremely unlikely event that I need to move metal objects apart (like after an accident) the factory jack would probably be a better option given its more compact size.

I always travel with at least one other truck so that there are more options for recovery, dealing with emergencies, and getting to a town for parts if necessary. If I was traveling solo I would likely bring the high lift, and many other items such as a satellite beacon.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
This is a great discussion, lots of good reasons for and against carrying a high lift.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that if you are going to carry a high lift make sure you have places where you can use it. I know this is somewhat obvious, but I see a lot of overland style rigs with a high lift on the roof but stock front and rear bumpers and no sliders. To be fair, they could have a tire adapter in their rig, but that doesn't help if you need to change a tire.

For example, on my 4Runner I can use a high lift on the frame-mounted sliders to lift either side, or I can use it in the trailer hitch to lift the rear, but here is not really a good lift point on my front ARB bumper.

Personally, I think I'll continue to leave mine at home. I carry a full sized spare and a patch kit, so I don't see much likely hood of having to reseat a bead on the trail (I'm not crossing the Kalahari). In the extremely unlikely event that I need to move metal objects apart (like after an accident) the factory jack would probably be a better option given its more compact size.

I always travel with at least one other truck so that there are more options for recovery, dealing with emergencies, and getting to a town for parts if necessary. If I was traveling solo I would likely bring the high lift, and many other items such as a satellite beacon.
This is a important point, that many new to Overlanding overlook. I'm surprised your ARB bumper doesn't have a slot for a HiLift. ARB normally thinks of everything.

I don't personally see the ability to break a bead compelling. I will never loose a bead, I have Millitary beadlocks, with run flats. As I'm sure you agree, It's good information, for OB members to help make an informed choice.

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

I keep my HiLift in the truck 24/7. I also keep a spare repair kit for it in the glovebox. Cheap insurance. Another item I like for it is the off-road base, not only does it work well for the HiLift but it works great for my bottle jack. And finally.. the Slee Jac- Koff tool (I didn't name it :) ) is a top notch piece of kit! If lifting from the sliders it gives a little bit of added insurance and it also allows you to physically connect the jack to the vehicle via a D-ring mount on a bumper. It runs a bolt through the d-ring mount to secure it.

Finally for those that do have a HiLift or are thinking about getting one, Bill Burke has a pretty good YouTube video on some simple tricks to make your jack perform better.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

This is a important point, that many new to Overlanding overlook. I'm surprised your ARB bumper doesn't have a slot for a HiLift. ARB normally thinks of everything.

I don't personally see the ability to break a bead compelling. I will never loose a bead, I have Millitary beadlocks, with run flats. As I'm sure you agree, It's good information, for OB members to help make an informed choice.
Some of the ARB bars do now. The new Summit bar for the LR4 has "Twin Hi-Lift jack points located below each buffer for optimum strength."

Reactions: Jeff Graham

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Anybody have any experience with using the Hi-Lift "Bumper Lift"? I've been thinking about picking one of these up since my front bumper doesn't have hi-lift mounting points on it

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I keep mine on the truck. I've used it numerous times in various circumstances and am comfotable with its operation and the potential dangers. If I'm just around town I keep a base, slider adapter, small bottle jack and wheel chocks but if I'm getting out there I also bring a larger bottle jack/stand or the X-Jack.

Honestly the Hi-Lift is pretty versatile and I haven't found anything that replaces all it's potential functions that is smaller/safer.

I have mine mounted to the front bumper behind the bash plate, locked in. I'm not worried about it there at all and it doesn't take up any space useful for something else or make it awkward for weight distribution. Really easy to access as well.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

It sounds like you have used your HiLift much more than I have. Do you also carry jack stands for the repairs?
No to the jack stands, I'm only 4" longer than a TJ, even with the roof rack, space is a premium.
So far....knock on wood....I use rocks, logs, ramped up dirt, and with the risk...yes I also use the hi lift it's self to hold up the rig (situation depending).
I also carry a small Stihl MS170 so I can make a log crib quickly and easily. They're light and easy to operate, even for us physically broken guys. It is a recovery must as far as I am concerned.
I am by no means saying the Hi Lift is the safest thing or with out risk!
Here is the thing, I accept some risk, or assume the risk, how ever it is a calculated one.
I've got plenty of formal recovery training, real world and down range experience in all kinds of situations.
Unfortunately, I give up some of the stuff like a bottle jack and at least one jack stand for weight and space.
I'm not saying it is the best way or the safest.
When your down, axel twisted like a pop can, your on the edge of a swamp in June and it is getting dark, I let my nuts drop, get out my Hi Lift and get to work. I personally think you can paralyze yourself being "too safe" or too much of a "geardoe" and not practicing with your gear.
If the XJack or what ever works for you use it and don't leave home without it, for me it's preference and experience.
If you can practice with your recovery gear in a variety of situations, including where your winch drops dead and your buddies is crapped out, make sure your can get out of that situation, and set it up where tow strap won't help or work. Try it yourself just use safety precautions. Have fun with it, some of the best times I have had was purposefully getting into dire situations with my friends and then work the problem and get the Jeep back on the trail. Too bad your not closer, we could have some serious fun trying out all the suggestions on here.
I hope that explains better where I am coming from.
Each to his own, I "respectfully" love my Hi Lift.
Cheers!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
No to the jack stands, I'm only 4" longer than a TJ, even with the roof rack, space is a premium.
So far....knock on wood....I use rocks, logs, ramped up dirt, and with the risk...yes I also use the hi lift it's self to hold up the rig (situation depending).
I also carry a small Stihl MS170 so I can make a log crib quickly and easily. They're light and easy to operate, even for us physically broken guys. It is a recovery must as far as I am concerned.
I am by no means saying the Hi Lift is the safest thing or with out risk!
Here is the thing, I accept some risk, or assume the risk, how ever it is a calculated one.
I've got plenty of formal recovery training, real world and down range experience in all kinds of situations.
Unfortunately, I give up some of the stuff like a bottle jack and at least one jack stand for weight and space.
I'm not saying it is the best way or the safest.
When your down, axel twisted like a pop can, your on the edge of a swamp in June and it is getting dark, I let my nuts drop, get out my Hi Lift and get to work. I personally think you can paralyze yourself being "too safe" or too much of a "geardoe" and not practicing with your gear.
If the XJack or what ever works for you use it and don't leave home without it, for me it's preference and experience.
If you can practice with your recovery gear in a variety of situations, including where your winch drops dead and your buddies is crapped out, make sure your can get out of that situation, and set it up where tow strap won't help or work. Try it yourself just use safety precautions. Have fun with it, some of the best times I have had was purposefully getting into dire situations with my friends and then work the problem and get the Jeep back on the trail. Too bad your not closer, we could have some serious fun trying out all the suggestions on here.
I hope that explains better where I am coming from.
Each to his own, I "respectfully" love my Hi Lift.
Cheers!
Thanks for the great information. I'm sure I can make it up to the great white North. I will PM you, the next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

My HiLift mount. Works great for me, and easy to get to. I'm just trying to reduce my my load. I pride myself on being a critical thinker, so I want to challenge all my preconceptions. The thread has been great, making the for and against a HiLift (vs other options)

IMG_0440.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Related question. Is storing a HiLift on a front bumper/bull bar, up on or near the hood...safe?

If you get in a head on crash, and it busts the mounts, wont that fly straight through the windshield into your face?

Seems like a rear bumper/swing out or rear bumper mount is the safest place. Even roof rack mounts seem scary for some reason. Those things are a missile waiting to happen.

I have only ever used a farm jack on a farm. I am just now getting the right sliders and rear bumper to be able to use something like that, but they seem scary to me for vehicle use. I'd prefer to not carry one if a good tall bottle jack or something else would work. But again, I don't have a lot of experience yet.
Check out this thread:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/light-to-medium-offroad-jack.6383/

It may help you find the best solution for your situation.

I agree, that the HiLift Jack must be very secure, regardless where you mount it. The same can be said about any heavy items we carry. If you intend to carry your jack inside you vehicle, the risk would also be present. Bolt it down securely.

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I have actually used mine numerous times. On one occasion I used it to open a yj frame and re-enforce the guys steering box so he could get it off the trail. And back to the hiway to be towed home. On another I used it to get my XJ out of a ugly situation in combo with my winch. But I do agree it's dangerous, heavy and a show piece for a lot of folks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using OB Talk mobile app

Ridge Reaper

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Plaganis
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
I will agree the hi-lift Jack is a showpiece however it does play an important role for some vehicles. I run a Jeep jku on 35s with a two and a half inch lift, the hi-lift assures me the ability to get the tire off the ground wherever I'm at and it's also a useful recovery tool. And did I mention it really looks cool.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

Stone74

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Little Rock, AR
Member #

I've had a hilift jack since my rock crawling days, 84 toy on 37s with 4 in lift. It wasn't my only jack I carried, I will say. But, I've used many times and has saved me just as many. I will say, Without proper care and use, it is as very dangerous piece of equipment.
It is overkill for my current build, but it has more functions than just a jack.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCBrian

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
So I finally decided to do it. My Hi-Lift X-Treme, Lift-Mate, Off-Road Base, Bumper lift, mounting bracket, etc... have all been removed from my Jeep. All in total: I reduced my jeeps load by over 100 lbs. I’m hoping a combination of my ARB Bushranger Inflatable X-Jack, and a 6K lbs Powerbuilt Unijack, will see me through all my lifting needs. If I ever need to borrow a Hi-Lift jack on the trail, I will let the community know. This would probably also cause me to reconsider this choice. We will see what the future holds.

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

I had one way back that I mounted on one of my old 4x4s because, well, all the cool 4x4s have one. I knew how it worked, but found out when we actually needed to use it I didn't have a clue how to use it properly (or safely).
My point is make sure you actually know how to use the equipment you carry, not just in theory. No sense carrying something you don't know how to use or like mentioned above if you don't have the lifting points for one to be useful. I just have the factory jack and a heavy bottle jack now.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I carry one for lifting the vehicle and for self-extraction. I have a 60" Hi-Lift with a Jack Mate and hope to never need either.

2017-07-30 11.33.09.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stone74