Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone for making tonight such a great net. As mentioned tonight, this was our final net hosted on the Grits-n-Gravy conference server. Starting next week we will be meeting on the Starlink Conf conference server # 357087. We'll miss hanging out with Will W8ILL and the GnG gang but look forward to the expanded coverage of the new node. For more info check out their websites STARLINKSYSTEM and White Mountain Repeater Association.

Also, during the net I received an email from Larry, K7RFX letting me know he hosts a 2 meter simplex node in Tucson AZ linked to the net. If anyone is in the Tucson area give it a try at 145.550 with a PL tone of 127.3 Hz.

73!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net
Date:11/20/2020Net Control:N7PHYEchoLink: 591550
Topic: gadgets and accessories we would like to add to our kit. Can be for the rig, camping gear, cooking, whatever.
Check InCall SignNameLocationNotes
1KE6GVKMikeAZIn/Out. Monitoring should we have any questions regarding starlink conf srv switch.
2KI5BEE/VE3CalvinONT CANADAHave all the gadgets I need. Been delaying a water tank project. Have a love hate relationship with bed slide I built. Topics - what would folks like for holiday?
3KJ7OJXGregSE Tuscon AZLooking to sell a PSC stinger compound bow if anyone is interested. Contact via QRZ.
4W6RZRGaryCALooking for more adventures in CA. Topics - in reach details and peoples experiences with use, how to get most out of it.
5K7XPOBrienTuscon AZ2 year anniversary coming up. Mention pressurizing water. Look at pressure switches on amzn. Thread into plumbing fittings with elec switch to kill power if over pressure. Gadget everybody should have - jump box(?) li battery with jumper cables. NCCO genius boost G?-40. Second gadget - tool to have is good set of jumper cables and case of gelding sticks r7018 rods to make emergency weld with battery system.
6K7ZOOCurtTuscon AZWebbing from strap works. Ratcheting reels. Can sew webbing to make exact length custom webbing. Labels with sharpie.
7VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaNew gadget. New go pro camera for cycling and vehicle traveling. GoPro9. Van is becoming one big gadget. Fixing router bench to build shelving in back. Just obtained set of curtains for backing out.
8KN6MEUJustinCAHave go pro and drone. Latest was in reach mini. Have Mojave trip coming up. New ham Wednesday.
9VK2DYRobertSydney AustraliaJust saying hello.
10KA7OLEOleWAMade trip through Mojave, just back. Absolutely amazing. Gadgets-switched to fridge. Now looking for better way to strap down. Base plate and slide? Agree on jump starter suggestion. Don't forget to recharge every so often.Comment on in reach mini - bought for hike. Relay links it. Turn s on plan when needs it. Sends location and can send txt message out. Bluetooth connection for easier typing messages.
11KO4ISGDannyNCSet sights on DMR radio.
12W6TEDTedCANew call sign! would like an inexpensive android tablet to run engine data app (torque). Would also like to re-gear to488 rear differential.
13N8PPEDennisOHWarrant OH. Found our net.
14KD8SUMJohnOH
15KJ7NWPGregAZGadget - always had onboard air setup and tire plugs.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Folks,
Following up on the conference node, the Starlink group has created a flyer for our Friday OB net. It lists out all the ways to connect to their system at net time. The group also hosts a tech round table following our net that you might find interesting. See the attached flyers below.

Also, for whatever reason we have two forum threads for the Friday net. The other thread can be found here Friday Night HAM Radio NET

Thanks!
Ed N7PHY

Attachments

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone!
Just a quick reminder that our net has moved from the Grits n Gravy conf server to the All Star conference node #357087. There are now a bunch of nodes, links, hubs, and repeaters available to access the net. Check out the White Mountain Repeater System web page for all the details. White Mountain Repeater Association
73!
Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Can i still connect via DMR TG-3148905?
I tried a 2 month ago without luck
It's on the list but I don't have gear to test it myself. If you give it a try let us know if you are able to connect.
Ed

Below is the published list of nodes, links, repeaters.

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 11, 2020

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds Washington
When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Is there anything going on during the week? I can’t join on Friday nights, but I would love to play with EchoLink and/or connect with other members while working on my radio skills

KD2UNH
Hi Dustin.
Check out Venture Overland run by Mike, AA1PR. Ham Radio Venture Overland
I'm not sure if there is an echolink node associated with the talk group but you could ask Mike. Or you could start up something yourself on echolink.

A couple of thoughts anyway. Let us know if you find a midweek place to hang out.
Ed N7PHY

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Is there anything going on during the week? I can’t join on Friday nights, but I would love to play with EchoLink and/or connect with other members while working on my radio skills

KD2UNH
Hi Dustin.
Check out Venture Overland run by Mike, AA1PR. Ham Radio Venture Overland
I'm not sure if there is an echolink node associated with the talk group but you could ask Mike. Or you could start up something yourself on echolink.

A couple of thoughts anyway. Let us know if you find a midweek place to hang out.
Ed N7PHY
Thank you!
I am not sure if I know how to use EchoLink. Does it just use the phone or do I need a radio to use it?

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you!
I am not sure if I know how to use EchoLink. Does it just use the phone or do I need a radio to use it?
It's an application that runs on the PC, phone, or droid tablet. The place to start is downloading the program and getting yourself registered.
Check out Introducing EchoLink

From there try connecting to the test server (in a drop down menu) to test your connection and audio. Once that is conquered you are good to go.

There is a forum thread here in OB that walks through the mobile app setup. If I can find it I'll post here.
Ed N7PHY

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thank you!
It's an application that runs on the PC, phone, or droid tablet. The place to start is downloading the program and getting yourself registered.
Check out Introducing EchoLink

From there try connecting to the test server (in a drop down menu) to test your connection and audio. Once that is conquered you are good to go.

There is a forum thread here in OB that walks through the mobile app setup. If I can find it I'll post here.
Ed N7PHY
Hopefully this is also helpful for someone else, just confirming if this is the correct one

Attachments

OutbackInTheWild

Rank V

Advocate III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Vladimirs
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6VVP
It's on the list but I don't have gear to test it myself. If you give it a try let us know if you are able to connect.
Ed

Below is the published list of nodes, links, repeaters.

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 11, 2020

Topic: Open Topic
Net Control: Ed N7PHY, Edmonds Washington

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

No luck on any of the DMR talk groups or bridges:(

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Happy Friday!
I'll be your net control this evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net.

This week will be resurrecting the J pole antenna topic so come with your questions, comments, ideas, etc or just stop by to say hello. We covered this topic quite a while back and, IIRC, it was pretty lively. I've been toying with TRYING to make one (or a few) to kill some time this winter, so I'll be taking copious notes!

73!
Shane K5TIN

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 18, 2020

Topic: J poles and portables (all bands)
Net Control: Shane K5TIN,

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

OutbackInTheWild

Rank V

Advocate III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Vladimirs
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6VVP
Happy Friday!
I'll be your net control this evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net.

This week will be resurrecting the J pole antenna topic so come with your questions, comments, ideas, etc or just stop by to say hello. We covered this topic quite a while back and, IIRC, it was pretty lively. I've been toying with TRYING to make one (or a few) to kill some time this winter, so I'll be taking copious notes!

73!
Shane K5TIN

Net Details
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for December 18, 2020

Topic: J poles and portables (all bands)
Net Control: Shane K5TIN,

Echolink

DMR

Repeaters and Links:

Hi,
I had no luck on DMR last time.
Can anyone confirm that its working?

XstremeLivn

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vancouver WA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KEH
Hey I would love to join and live in Vancouver WA. Is there a repeater I can link into from here to reach you up there? Look for ward to connecting.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hey I would love to join and live in Vancouver WA. Is there a repeater I can link into from here to reach you up there? Look for ward to connecting.
I'm not aware of an RF link in the area Michael. Are you able to join via one of the allstar/echolink nodes?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Repeater N7EXH in Portland has Echolink nodes? But if you can access the OB Net via the repeater you need to contact the owner of said repeater. I have two Echolink repeaters here, but due to the purpose of those repeaters, I can’t link them to the OB Net, so have to log in via app or pc.

Jdelpercio93

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Del Percio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8-SUM
Hey guys! So I can access the net using my phone and the echolink app but this feels like cheating! I don’t have easy access in my area right now to echolink or allstar repeaters however I do have a DMR radio and several DMR repeaters in my area. Please forgive me for the Newbie question but can anyone give me some guidance on accessing the net with the DMR talk group mentioned in the Event details. I am a newer ham so bare with me please! Thank you guys! 73s

Reactions: Boort

Snowwalker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Doncaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE3NLP
That's great, all of you are getting your HAM on, see ya'll on the net , My call sign is KF5UZW in North Texas.

Well let me barge, I'm a EXTRA Class.
Not everyone needs to be Extra or a General class, but it would be nice to see enough Overlanders get their General( Basic +[ Basic w/honors] in Canada) to allow an extra level of safety when off grid.

As Overlanders traveling off grid we could use existing HF nets, and services. For example 14.300 MHz Upper side-band is listed as an International Emergency Frequency and has nets running continuously for 12 to 14 hours a day.