First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hey folks!

I'm interested in the joining the net and scanned through the thread. Any way to connect D-Star on an ICOM to this net?

Thanks in advance!
AJ
KC3NGX
Hi AJ,
I don't believe we've had anyone link by D-Star yet. If you can find a way to bridge D-Star to the DMR talk group 1137550 you'd be in. You may wish to drop a note to the Grits n Gravy conference server group who graciously host us each Friday. They may have a solution for D-Star.

Hope to hear you on the net.
Ed - N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Friday Night Overland Bound Ham Radio Net 02 OCT 2020

When: 8:30p EDT, 5:30p PDT, 00:30z (the next day).

Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Topic: Winter Driving

Net Control: Ed N7PHY

Hello everyone. I'll be your net control this Friday and our topic is 'Winter Driving'. Come with your tips, tricks, equipment lists, or anything else related to winter travel.

Hope to hear everybody this Friday!
73 - Ed N7PHY

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Hi AJ,
I don't believe we've had anyone link by D-Star yet. If you can find a way to bridge D-Star to the DMR talk group 1137550 you'd be in. You may wish to drop a note to the Grits n Gravy conference server group who graciously host us each Friday. They may have a solution for D-Star.

Hope to hear you on the net.
Ed - N7PHY
Thanks! Just sent them a message. Will update the group.
AJ

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We had another great net last night. Thank you everyone who joins and otherwise supports the net!

Sticking with quick notes but please comment in the thread if you'd like to expand on any of the net topics.

October 9, 2020
Net Control: N7PHY - Ed
Topic: Winter Driving

Check-in Stations:
KJ7EXK Dana OR (portable, mt bike trip)
Kt4OZ Terry VA
KJ7DUE Kim MT
K5TIN Shane LA
KF0AJN Robert CO
K7XPO Brien AZ
WD6TED Ted CA
VA2EEK Don (listening only tonight)
VK7VWK Randall Tasmania
W8ILL Will MI
N8MXG Ron MI

Tires: Lots of conversation about winter tire selection. Preference was pretty consistently all-terrain tires with the snowflake certification. Also had a trip down memory lane discussing studded tires and having to remove the studs by hand.
Popular tires mentioned are: Falcon Wildpeak A/3TW, Cooper A/T3, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain, BFG A/T KO2. Did I miss any?

Vehicle Gear: Max tracks, Go-Treads (GoTreads - Foldable tire traction mats to get out of mud, snow, or sand.).

Personal Gear: Water, extra clothing, and sleeping bag were mentioned. We may do a separate net topic on packing for a winter trip.

Announcement: The White Mountain Repeater Assoc runs a tech-net shortly after our net each Friday evening. It's hosted on the GnG conference server among others and is Q&A style technical conversation for Hams. More information can be found at White Mountain Repeater Association.

And last word; would anyone out there like to help out running the net? Besides facilitating the net as net control we can use help coming up with topics to discuss. Have any new format ideas? How about thoughts for spreading the word on the OB threads?
Let us know!

73 everyone!
Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: TerryD

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I'd like to join to brush off my HAM usage. I haven't been actively using my radio but want to start practicing. I only have a Baofeng I am guessing that is enough to participate. Is this net every Friday?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I'd like to join to brush off my HAM usage. I haven't been actively using my radio but want to start practicing. I only have a Baofeng I am guessing that is enough to participate. Is this net every Friday?
The net is every Friday and the Baofeng would be fine if you have a repeater nearby that has an Echolink node.
Otherwise the Echolink net makes participating in the net easy, though we like having check-ins via RF it's not always possible.

Reactions: 12poundtest

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Can't seem to find DMR T/G 1137550 on Brandmeister.

Brian
N7BMH
I also noticed this as well. Trying to see how I could link my HT Baofeng to a local repeater to access this TG. It looks like my local Echolink repeater isn't always online, trying to find other ways.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I also noticed this as well. Trying to see how I could link my HT Baofeng to a local repeater to access this TG. It looks like my local Echolink repeater isn't always online, trying to find other ways.
Is your Baofeng a DMR radio?

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
You likely won't be able to access a DMR talk group without a DMR radio unless you are using something like the MMDVM hotspot.
Interesting, I was under the assumption that my analog signal could be transmitted to, say, an Echolink repeater, where it would then be converted to a digital signal on the internet? Is that not the case? The initial transmission needs to be digital in nature?

I only ask because I saw this video and it looked like an off the shelf baofeng:

Thanks,
AJ

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
BaoFeng BF-F8HP on Amazon for $50 prime day deal. Is it worth it for a beginner?
If you go on the r/amateurradio forum on reddit, you get two different camps. This topic came up this week and after reading it, if you had a couple extra dollars, go for a Yaesu HT to start with like the FT-4x that Backroad Explorer mentioned above. Also the FT-65R is a good starter option.

Reactions: NorCalRam

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Interesting, I was under the assumption that my analog signal could be transmitted to, say, an Echolink repeater, where it would then be converted to a digital signal on the internet? Is that not the case? The initial transmission needs to be digital in nature?

I only ask because I saw this video and it looked like an off the shelf baofeng:

Thanks,
AJ
Echolink is different than DMR.
Echolink is through analog repeaters linked via the internet. Any analog radio can use an analog repeater that has Echolink capabilities.
DMR is a digital signal that is generated by the radio, as is Yaesu System Fusion and Icom D-star. You have to have a radio made to do those specific digital protocols to use those repeaters. The exception here is using a hotspot that can convert the analog signal to the various digital protocols.

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Ah yes, sorry for the confusion. I've sent an email to my local club who manages the Echolink repeater to ask for permission to use it on Friday nights. I'm interested to see if I can connect!