Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. Today is the 1st Friday of the month, so that means its New Ham Night. All new licensees are WELCOME and ENCOURAGED to check in with us, ask any questions you may have, just ragchew a bit so you can get used to talking to "the strangers" that your parents warned you about and maybe make a new friend or two. It will also be open topic and a general how's everybody doing net, so just check in and tell us what's going on with you, what's on your mind (keep it rated PG please :grinning:) or what your plans are in the near (or far) future. Don't have anything to say? Just check in and say hi!

If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, a GREAT how-to article on getting started can be found HERE to get you up and running!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET, 0030 hours UTC
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Until then...73 de K5TIN

Shane

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Good afternoon folks! Just a reminder that tonight is net night!

Tonight's topic will be "What did you start 'Overlanding' with?"

I hope everyone will join us as we look back on the setups that got us started in Adventure Travel!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET, 0030 hours UTC
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @ru108 , @Brentc17 or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Till tonight, take care everyone!

Terry

Reactions: Carl Sandvik

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Friday Night Ham Radio Net for August 7th, 2020

Topic: NEW HAMS NET!

Net Control: Ted WD6TED

Where: Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

When: 8:30PM ET, 5:30PM PT, 0030z (during United States daylight savings time)

Tomorrow night is the 1st Friday of the month and thus will be our very popular monthly new hams net. News hams are encouraged to jump in and ask anything they like and get comfortable with getting on the air. Most of the net is more ham-focused as opposed to overlanding-focused. Always a fun net and better with more stations joining in!

Hope to see you then!

-Ted WD6TED

Reactions: TerryD

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Fun net this evening thanks to everyone for participating! List of check-ins and very brief notes below (I did a lot talking, I know). Looking forward to seeing everyone next week. Topic for next week will be posted in this forum. If there are any topics for the net that you would like us to talk about just post your ideas here in the forum. DMR seems to be an interesting topic and if so, one of our OB members who also runs a DMR technical net every week here in Southern California on the Papa System would be happy to do a net on DMR and even provide a Zoom presentation on getting started with DMR. If that sounds interesting, speak up and we can get that set-up!

Looking forward to seeing you all next week!
-73!

Date:8/7/20Net Control:WD6TEDEchoLink: 591550 DMR: TG 1137550
Net closed at 0225z
Check InCall SignNameLoccationOB#Notes
1KM6GWUDANORANGE CTYStudying for general. Looking for answers for his antenna for limited garden space in his yard. Brien says you can bend the last ten feet of an antenna.
2KE8GFRPERSASE IdahoRegistered ham since 2017. Has sm HT. Bought an Icom at a hamfest but has not got on the air. If she has friends on trips if they are not lic hams? In NZ people are using the PRS radios (unlicesened in NZ).
3W8ILLWILLDetroit, MIWorking on bike one might have ham radio on it.
4KI5KFFRICHCENTRAL TX25955NEW HAM No questions. was op in the army. Just getting back into it. Asking about anderson power pole connectors.
5KB7JWMSCOTTCANothiing heard
6KJ7OWDMIKELAS VEGASNEW HAM Invited by Brien running kenwood 710-G in his offroad rig.
7KD9PXFTOMdisplains ILNew Ham havd had ticket for 2 weeks. Has Kenwood V71A wired directly to the battery nd dyodynamics ss-3. Tried ferite chokes and one on the power side of the unit. Sean suggests putting choke on positive and neg cables both. Similiar arrangement 5 times on the choke as well. See palomar-engineers.com re papers on ferrite mixes for chokes as well as recommended lengths for random wire antennas.
8ZL2RSAShaunWELLINGTON NZNZ has repeater net the whole length of the country.
9KD2SXDMIKEJackson FlCheck out early.
10vk7vwkrandallHobart TAZ5615ACMA is the AUS has changed call signs so everyone has 3 letter suffix. Digital radios connecting into Echolink.
11k7xpoBrientuscon, az3553STARTED TO ACTIVELY PROMOTE THE NET. IF ANYBODY INTERESTED THERE IS AN OVERLAND BOUND COMMS COMMITTEE. He is going to try and reboot that. Go to forums and look up Brien. The commitee coming up with docs training materils to help people with ham radio, gmrs, garmin, cb in AUS and EUR.
12na6afbobtuscon, azBeen ham since 2011. Has new Icom 9700 and stumbled on this net. Has remote station with a Yagi. Has vertical on 43 foot vertical. Has Openspot3 and PiStar hotspots.
13aj6poKCRancho CucamongaNothing heard
14W2JLDJOHNROCHESTER, NYNothing heard
15vk2dyRobertSidney AUSUses a computer and mobile phone for Echolink not a radio. Also from ACMA all signs have been state based in AUS. The requirement to change your call sign if you move states no longer applies.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Thanks for answering my questions. I'm sure next new ham night I will have more. Which brings up a question. How long could I milk being a new ham radio op and ask questions?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for answering my questions. I'm sure next new ham night I will have more. Which brings up a question. How long could I milk being a new ham radio op and ask questions?
I have been a ham 8 months now.... I still ask questions... my Elmer has been a Ham 10 years and he still asks questions to his Elmer... so how long can ya milk it?

• Haha
Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I have been a ham 8 months now.... I still ask questions... my Elmer has been a Ham 10 years and he still asks questions to his Elmer... so how long can ya milk it?
Good to know cuz some things I understand and some things just look like aliens wrote it.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Friday Night Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for August 14, 2020

When: 20:30 EDT, 17:30 PDT

Where: Echolink Conference Server 591550 *USA-GNG* , also DMR TG 1137550, and Allstar 41130

Topic: Navigation Software and aids

This weeks topic is Navigation Software and Tools. There have been a lot of developments app-wise in the last year or so in this area. Let's stay on top of it and see what people are using and why. I recognize a lot of ham radio related discussion going on here in the forum, and depending on how the topic goes in round one we might switch over to ham radio topics and questions on the second round. See how it goes. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing everyone tomorrow!

Ted WD6TED

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Friday Night Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for August 14, 2020

When: 20:30 EDT, 17:30 PDT

Where: Echolink Conference Server 591550 *USA-GNG* , also DMR TG 1137550, and Allstar 41130

Topic: Navigation Software and aids

This weeks topic is Navigation Software and Tools. There have been a lot of developments app-wise in the last year or so in this area. Let's stay on top of it and see what people are using and why. I recognize a lot of ham radio related discussion going on here in the forum, and depending on how the topic goes in round one we might switch over to ham radio topics and questions on the second round. See how it goes. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing everyone tomorrow!

Ted WD6TED
Is it Friday yet..LOL

Reactions: M Rose and MTN RNR

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Sorry I'm so late with the notes from last Friday. I just completely forgot to post them. They are raw, i.e. I didn't edit them.

Also here is the list of navigation software that Don VA2EEK e-mailed to me:

Here is my list of Navigation Tools with links and some comments as appropriate. It really boils down to how much you want to spend for subscriptions that include different map layers. Some platforms are leaning towards the "social" aspect with sharing routes/tracks, and sharing (geo-coded) pictures, and reviews of routes, etc. So it comes down to what features are available on the platform and what mapping functions you want to accomplish. Keeping in mind that is't a good idea to have a backup, pick your favourite GPS tool for phone/tablet, but be aware of what happens with you lose cell service and need to have previously downloaded maps, or have another system that has the maps in them already for offline use, and have paper maps as a backup.

1. GaiaGPS "Premium" membership -- App and Website
Layers I like:
"Outdoors" combines topography and roads and trails. OpenStreetMaps has trails, but no topo. The Gaia topo layers are ok, and I use the metric flavour being in Canada.
Backroads Mapbook Canada - lots of roads, trails, old logging roads, etc. that may not be on most newer maps.
Canada Topo (see also below)
A couple of different satellite views, resolution is sort of "Meh" ... Google Maps satellite view is sometimes better.

2. ViewRanger -- App and Website
Quite a "sociable" app (share hiking tracks, etc.) We are examining this app for capturing tracks on cell phones when SAR team GPS might not be available, or for spontaneous volunteers to capture tracks.

3. Garmin Montana GPS with large micro-SD card for a bunch of maps: Canada Topo, OpenStreet Maps, TrakMaps Topo maps, Ibycus Topo v4 (a bit dated, but free)
Garmin BaseCamp coupled with Garmin GPSes (obviously).

4. Maps, paper maps, fold out maps, mapbook maps, even printed maps from Google maps.

5. Google Maps -- App and Website
Handy doing recess, nice to jump into StreetView and check out highway exit ramps, or get different locales (handy for exercise planning-- if the Google Cam Car has been out that way!) and satellite view is quite handy as well.

6. Canada Topo maps -- App and website www.atlas.gc.ca
These are digitized 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 maps from the Government of Canada. Really old school, especially with the likes of GaiaGPS and other vector type mapping systems out there now, but you'd be surprised what you might pick up from these (old) maps. e.g., railway tracks, recently abandoned, but have been removed without a trace from newer maps, not even labeled "abandoned".

7. Avenza Maps -- App
This app uses geo-coded .PDF files and takes a lot of storage (some maps get large), but with good maps you can zoom in and out and get good detail. Downloaded and used this app a few years ago for a backroads recce the SAR team did where the only maps available were these .PDF, so this was the app to use. Not something I currently use, but it is another tool.

8. OsmAnd - Offline Maps -- App
Downloaded and experimented with at about the same time as Avenza. Not something I currently use, but it is another tool.

9. CALTopo / SARTopo -- App and Website depending on which subscription version is used. Some members of our SAR team use this for exercise planning, annotating maps for search tasks, and its ability to print maps. Different map layers which are the same/similar to those found in other platforms.

Check InCall SignNameLocationNotes
1w7brbrentpackwood wauses Gaia Pro. Have it on Android and Samsung Galaxy notepad mounted on a ram mount. Has phone setup as a hotspot. He will download maps ahead of time to have the maps when out of cell range. He's been putting in waypoints which allow him to share with others. When he with the dogs they like to turn off the navagation system and randomly go somewhere and then find their way back home sometimes even the next day. Also doing a trip through Utah and AZ in the beginning of October. Meeting in Moab Oct 4 & 5th.
2km6gwudanfountain valley, caUse Gaia on his laptop which is symced to his ipad and iphone. Then uses the Garmin media center and uses that to zero in within 200 yrds or so. Also used waypoints a little bit. Waiting for his new end fed antenna that's on order. Getting his general at the end of the month.
3ki5kffrichcentral txmotor vehicle maps. Have download gaia gps. Also has Onyx off-road.
4w8illwilljust outside of Detroit MIjust settin back and takin it easy.
5n7phyededmonds waHas Gaia Pro running now for planning. In the truck he can run it on the infotainment screen. The built in maps in the vehicle show the FS roads. Google Earth as well. Challenges are secuing the iPad - bounces around.
6k5tinshanebaton rougeUses Gaia Pro. Has it on a Galaxy Pad. Also carries a Garmin GPS with large screen. That will show more fine detail.
7k7xpobrientuscon azIf you have been using the OB app on android. There is a new version out. If anybody is interested in helping out with the communication group. Uses Gaia as well as w
8vk7vwkRandallHobart Tasmania AUSDiscussed how to get on Echolink through your local repeater, if available. Also mentioned that HTs are very handy when you have a spotter out in front for them to communicate with the driver of the vehicle.
9va2eekDonOntario CanadaHe has a large and will send a list. I will post in the forum. Gaia and Garmin Montana are his main go to apps. I will post Don's list in a separate posting in the forum.
10KE8GFRPersaSouthern IdahoPlanning phases are a little more important for her. The planning phase relies on Google searches. Uses paper maps and Gaia on her phone. Thinking about CarPlay device in her truck. For canoeing she QGIS on the computer to download maps for the specific terrain and then print them. Wants to know if AARL has any ideas that on-line testing will be a permenant thing. Do most people carry handhelds.
11vk2dyrobertSydney AUSLate checkin, but mentioned that spring is coming around in Sydney.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for August 21st 2020.

Topic: Open

Net Control: Ted WD6TED in San Diego, CA

When: Friday August 21st (North America) 17:30 PDT, 20:30 EDT, 00:30z

A couple months ago Brent W7BR asked the net if you prefer topics or "open discussion". Many said they liked some open discussion. So we are going with that this week. I'll do a round on overlanding/camping and the 2nd round will be ham radio.

What ever you want, questions, ragchew, doesn't matter. There are no rules... (beyond the part 97 of course).

See you then!

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Good evening everyone. Below are notes from tonight's net. Thank you everyone for joining tonight. If all goes well our topic next week with be "Trip Checklist: name something you've added recently and something you taken away."
If you have any topic suggestions or would like to join us as net control feel free to comment below or reach out directly.

73! - Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net
Date:8/21/2020Net Control:N7PHYEchoLink: 591550
Topic: Open Topic
Check InCall SignNameLocationNotes
1km6gwuDanorg co calHeat wave; 130 in death valley. Interested in building a go box. Transport between house and truck.
2ki5kffRichfield, north NMIn small town on veriz hotspot. Out camping and picking up trash. Have a Baofeng uv-5xp and learning how to set it up. Q: What is A, B frequencies? Watched youtube vids on go boxes.
3aa1prMikeVTall star node tied in. out last couple weeks from injury.
4k7xpoBrienaznew toy, electric motor bike. Offroad moped. Designing trailer carry to bring with.
5w2dzDavidNJNo traffic.
6n6dwaDancadropped
7kt4ozTerryvamobile. New transfer case in xtera today. Out on test drive. Has the skinny on baofeng dual band A,B functionality. Working with ammo cans and plano case for portable radio operation. Not always time to play radio when traveling in large group.
8w8illWillmiCheck in. Relaxing. Invitation to join chat before net time. Had 2 go boxes when traveling. Camp stuff and radio stuff.
9kb4vymClarknw tuscon azA: A,B - main band, sub band. Uses main band for 2m and suband to rx other freq. Trying to stay cool. Had motorola mobile fitted in metal box for fire radio in boat. Very heavy.
10kb7jwmScottsfoStaying cool and away from fires. Purchased yeasu ft3g and made first dig contact on fusion over repeater.
11kc3itDontndropped
12vk2dyRobertKelleysville Ridge New South Wales near Sidney. City of Blacktown. 58.5 deg F, just put up weather station. Had snow in mountains.
13kn4skhChrisvaMobile in VA and found us scrolling through freqs.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
During tonight's net we talked about portable operation so thought I'd share a picture from last weekends portable HF operation on the Washington coast. The antenna is a DX Commander multi-band vertical. Really great experience.
Ocean City DX_Commander Setup QRZ.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
During tonight's net we talked about portable operation so thought I'd share a picture from last weekends portable HF operation on the Washington coast. The antenna is a DX Commander multi-band vertical. Really great experience.
View attachment 167882
I’ve been looking at the DX commander for a while... seams like a very good mast system.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I’ve been looking at the DX commander for a while... seams like a very good mast system.
I've only had it out twice but so far I really like it. Wide bandwidth and low SWR make it easy to switch bands and the low takeoff angle makes for some interesting field radio fun. Here is an SWR scan of the antenna at the beach. I have elements for 40m, 30m, 20m and 17m. 15 meters tunes up as a harmonic of the 40m element.

dxc_beach_swr.jpg

Reactions: MTN RNR