Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Ah yes, sorry for the confusion. I've sent an email to my local club who manages the Echolink repeater to ask for permission to use it on Friday nights. I'm interested to see if I can connect!

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
If you go on the r/amateurradio forum on reddit, you get two different camps. This topic came up this week and after reading it, if you had a couple extra dollars, go for a Yaesu HT to start with like the FT-4x that Backroad Explorer mentioned above. Also the FT-65R is a good starter option.
I jumped on it a little to quick as I rushed out the door this morning. Stupid countdown timers. Any way I'll check out the reddit, any chance you want to provide cliff notes?

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
I jumped on it a little to quick as I rushed out the door this morning. Stupid countdown timers. Any way I'll check out the reddit, any chance you want to provide cliff notes?
This is the post I was referring too where they discuss the HT's:

Reactions: NorCalRam

AJ Nealey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewater, MD
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Nealey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NGX
Decent enough read, not much actual info other than preference? Time to study up and make sure I can use it.
Seems like the major gripe is that the internal electronics on the Baofeng are on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Also, potential spurious transmissions were also a possible cause of concern. If you're looking for an entry level HT the Yaesu would be the way to go.

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Friday Night Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for October 16, 2020

Topic
: Open topic

Where: Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Net Control: Ted WD6TED, San Diego, CA

I'm doing open topic tonight again because a straw vote taken a few months back on the net indicated that people just like to have an open topic night and just talk. So let's go with that. 2 rounds. Round 1: more overlanding focused, round 2 more ham radio focused.

See you tonight!

-Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: 12poundtest

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Notes from Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net for October 16, 2020

Date:10/16/2020Net Control:WD6TEDEchoLink: 591550
Topic: Open
Check InCall SignNameLocationNotes
1va2eekDonQuebecQuick check-in has another net in 20m. Put his winter tires on last week. Still working from home. Got 2 DMR radios tonight. Lights you can have too many lights that might interfere with the rig radio. Cheap LED lights can cause a lot of extra noise for the radios.
2ki5bee/ve3CalvinOntarioGot winter tires ready on 1 vehicle. Looking at different options for vehicle undercoating and how well the hold up with mild overlanding. Not much going on in the world of amateur radio and found that infrastructure for APRS wasn't too bad. He wants to continue testing that in rural areas. He's testing a J-pole antenna about 9 - 12 feet long. Done well with it and the HT. Next he's going to string it up in a tree.
3w8illWillTaylor, MISon always working on the car. Amateur radio is keeping him up - he was up at 5:00 this morning. Got his 10m - 75m antennas up right now, but haven't turned the radios on the last couple of weeks. Lot of new stations coming in on AllStar.
4kt4oz3710 TerryCovington, VANever used undercoating on his vehicles. When he was young they had undercoating on one vehicle and none on the other. The vehicle with undercoating rusted faster, his father confirmed that is typically case. Sittin in his new radio shack. Just about finished and got the radio table up there. Still deciding how he wants to organize everthing. Got rig runner and 1/2 copper pipe so he can maybe take care of some of his RFI problems. Got a plan for using window pass throughs for his coax connections. Hoping to be back on the air pretty soon.
5N7PHYEdEdmonds, WAGot out quite a bit spring and summer. Got him to think about things to add to truck. Maybe a roofrack and place to mount an awning. Need some aux lighting. Hoping to get out next weekend for the CQ WW SSB. Just purchased a Elecraft KPA500 amp and KAT500 tuner. He's going to use primarily for his go kit. Had problems with wildfires for the Washington state QSP - was the only person in the county so took 1st place for the county.
6K7XPO3553 BrienTuscon, AZNot much happening in the overlanding world in recent times. Hoping in the next week or two to head out, maybe during the new moon to get some astrophotography in. Future topic ideas: hearing what people are doing for running power to the rear of their vehicle. Maybe another food/cooking, navigation (we covered that recently). Brien just picked up the NOLS Wilderness Navigation book and is going to go through their class for navagation in the beginning of the year. NOLS = National Outdoor Leadership School nols.edu
7WX5SKYJonOklahoma CityNot much happening in the overlanding world. Too much work. Bout as much as overlanding - not much going on. Working at home has limited his drive time. Thinking about putting up a digipeater. Would be nice to have an HF radio at home.
8NB9DNeilParis, MEGetting ready for wintertime. Possible topics: Improvised fixes to get you home off the trail. Also orienteering / wildnerness survival.
9KJ7MUEJackWA state between Olympia and Mt. RainerHad two antennas go down in the storms and had some lightining. Lots of winds after the lightining. He puts about a 2 -3" pipe down alongside of the ground rod really makes a difference. Has a lot of noise from a new wind farm that just went in. There is a logging camp not too far with electric fences. The weather has been nice and the wet weather has kept the RFI down.
10VK2DYRobertSydney, AUSNice weather, and everything is in bloom.
Summary:Net closed at01:45z 21:45 EDT, 18:46 PDT

Reactions: 12poundtest

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tomorrow night. I'll be your net control for this week's topic, which will be Packing for a Winter trip since cooler weather is just around the corner. Don't have anything to say about the topic? Just check in and say hi!

If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, a GREAT how-to article on getting started can be found HERE to get you up and running!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET, 0030 hours UTC
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to myself, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @whiskey7backroads or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could always use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Until then...73 de K5TIN

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Is there another DMR TG beside the 1137550
I would like to check in with DMR

Brian
N7BMH
Hey Brian,
You should check with Mike, AA1PR. I believe he links the Venture Overland TG for the net.

Ed - N7PHY

Rovingmedic

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lower Hutt, New Zealand
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Ross
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ZL2RSA
Just a quick suggestion. As the USA has now moved to Winter Time, the meeting time needs to be updated for global attendees. It is now at 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET, 0130 hours UTC

Reactions: Boort

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you Shaun for pointing that out. I did update on the other Friday Net forum thread but missed this one.

Here's my post from this morning:

Hello everyone.
I'll be your net control this evening for the OB net. It's the first Friday of the month so our topic is 'new HAM Q&A'. Any HAM radio question or topic is on the table, including installation of radios and antennas in our rigs.
Hope to hear you tonight!
Ed - N7PHY

Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for November 6 2020.

Topic: HAM Radio Q&A

Net Control: Ed N7PHY

When: Friday November 6th (North America) 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC

Where: Echolink Conference Server 591550 *USA-GNG* , also DMR TG 1137550, and Allstar 41130

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you Shaun for pointing that out. I did update on the other Friday Net forum thread but missed this one.

Here's my post from this morning:

Hello everyone.
I'll be your net control this evening for the OB net. It's the first Friday of the month so our topic is 'new HAM Q&A'. Any HAM radio question or topic is on the table, including installation of radios and antennas in our rigs.
Hope to hear you tonight!
Ed - N7PHY

Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for November 6 2020.

Topic: HAM Radio Q&A

Net Control: Ed N7PHY

When: Friday November 6th (North America) 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC

Where: Echolink Conference Server 591550 *USA-GNG* , also DMR TG 1137550, and Allstar 41130
Tried logging in but keep getting failure to route7585069A-A156-4388-996D-AC821D0F5371.png

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
I am listening in. Someone mentioned they couldn't find the node by typing in the exact number but searching and connecting that way worked. No idea if anything I am saying makes sense but i figured I'd relay.

Reactions: Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am listening in. Someone mentioned they couldn't find the node by typing in the exact number but searching and connecting that way worked. No idea if anything I am saying makes sense but i figured I'd relay.
I have the Node, just failing to connect

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Finally got logged in

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For Mobile APRS I use a Baofeng radio connected to a Mobilinked TNC 3 paired via Bluetooth to my iPhone running APRS.FI

The Mobileinked TNC 3 is kind of speedy at 119.00 plus cable and shipping, but it is very reliable and has more uses than just Baofeng radios. I can connect it to my Icom IC-7100, Yaseue FT-400XDR, and even my home brewed KT-790H commercial radio.
The TNC2 is just as good as the TNC3, it just doesn’t have IOS support.

you can find more about the Mobilinked TNCs at

For Android search for APRSDroid, For Apple APRS.FI

EEB49212-4D47-4228-A094-B45617A464BB.jpeg