Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

Everyone who has taken any level of test after Feb 2007 is a "no coder" despised by the old timers.
Got it. I got my ticket for KG4EVV in 1998 I think. At the time to get Technician class (to have access to 10M) you had to do 5WPM code. I simply had absolutely zero interest in learning morse code. So I never did. Plus I was active duty in the Marine Corps at the time and was too busy with this and that *excuses*. I'm studying again to get a new ticket then I'll likely apply for a vanity callsign to get my original back. Mainly because I still have license plates with it still hanging in my garage. hah!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Back right out of High School, 1977, I did the CB license thing. Somewhere 'LOST' in some old stash of moved papers is my license certificate with my assigned call sign. Unfortunately it was so long ago, that I can not remember what my call number was. Kind of nice to be one of the 'old timers' in that sense, when they were needed. Purchased a 40 channel JC Penny's mobile unit that was good for what it was. Later upgraded to a Cobra 140, and now the Uniden for size needs. Back in those early days, you did not have people complaining of crickets on the airwaves, it was wall to wall chatter on almost every channel. :grinning:

This last year I stepped up, and purchased my GMRS license. Because I wanted the ability of multiple communication options. After research, and opinions here on OB, I went with the Midland MXT 275 another compact space saver..................WREA307
And did the Instagram thing for OB: @desertrunner_lv

With my FRMS handhelds, I am pretty well set for group travel and communications. For now I have a Handheld HAM for monitoring those that use them.

PS Edit: i just saw that Midland is 'back-ordered/out of stock' on the MXT 275 model til the end of September. It seems this model has been the......go to preferred unit for at least for us overlanders. Following the forum posts, , these get the most attention.

PS: This is what I wish to avoid........DASH CLUTTER 1601275543648.jpeg:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Back right out of High School, 1977, I did the CB license thing. Somewhere 'LOST' in some old stash of moved papers is my license certificate with my assigned call sign. Unfortunately it was so long ago, that I can not remember what my call number was. Kind of nice to be one of the 'old timers' in that sense, when they were needed. Purchased a 40 channel JC Penny's mobile unit that was good for what it was. Later upgraded to a Cobra 140, and now the Uniden for size needs. Back in those early days, you did not have people complaining of crickets on the airwaves, it was wall to wall chatter on almost every channel. :grinning:

This last year I stepped up, and purchased my GMRS license. Because I wanted the ability of multiple communication options. After research, and opinions here on OB, I went with the Midland MXT 275 another compact space saver..................WREA307
And did the Instagram thing for OB: @desertrunner_lv

With my FRMS handhelds, I am pretty well set for group travel and communications. For now I have a Handheld HAM for monitoring those that use them.

PS Edit: i just saw that Midland is 'backordered/out of stock' on the MXT 275 model til the end of September
The CB will come back in popularity soon... we are entering the next solar cycle, which means long range DX will be more frequent and DXers will be breaking out their squawk boxes... I just set up my 10m antenna and hope to start seeing some activity on the band.

Mountainwarrior

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort George G Meade, Maryland, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Potter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4IHR
Service Branch
Army
[/QUOTE]
Only one radio?[/QUOTE]

I have a Midland GMRS for most of the Jeep trail rides I do with friends already installed. Looking to add a yaesu 300DR in the Jeep for the trip up to tuk next summer. It will pair nicely with the FT3DR

Contributor III

Tyler, TX
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Mastern
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7HAZ
KC7HAZ

Got my Technician ticket in 1994. Didn't go for the Technician-Plus because of the Morse code.
It took a couple of years before I could afford a Radio Shack handheld 2 meter radio. (I had a newborn daughter that took all my money!)

I didn't do much with my radio hobby then, but now that I took an early retirement, I'm looking to get back into it. I'm studying for the General test, and maybe for the Extra.

Anyway, just signing in here. :blush:

Wandering_Wolverine

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
KC8JOK here, name is Gary.

I got licensed as a teenager around 1998 I think. It was before social media and radio was a good way to talk with friends out in the rural area I was from. The repeaters were active and even CB was still used for rag chews. I’ve been getting back into the hobby the last few months and am still trying to figure out where everyone went. I live in the Omaha metro area now and while there are lots of repeaters (probably too many actually) I’m not hearing a lot of traffic day to day. I have yet to check into a local net though so still hoping to find an active community local to me.

I got a Cobra 148 off ebay and hooked that up also. I’ve heard no local rag chew traffic on that at my QTH. Just the usual trucker chatter on I-80.

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Escambia County, Florida, United States
First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP
KC8JOK here, name is Gary.

I got licensed as a teenager around 1998 I think. It was before social media and radio was a good way to talk with friends out in the rural area I was from. The repeaters were active and even CB was still used for rag chews. I’ve been getting back into the hobby the last few months and am still trying to figure out where everyone went. I live in the Omaha metro area now and while there are lots of repeaters (probably too many actually) I’m not hearing a lot of traffic day to day. I have yet to check into a local net though so still hoping to find an active community local to me.

I got a Cobra 148 off ebay and hooked that up also. I’ve heard no local rag chew traffic on that at my QTH. Just the usual trucker chatter on I-80.
Yep, not much traffic here in Central Florida either.
I think the internet has replaced much of the activities. I see that the digital modes such as D-star and system fusion are where the activity is.
Try the East coast Reflector for some interesting worldwide contacts.

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yep, not much traffic here in Central Florida either.
I think the internet has replaced much of the activities. I see that the digital modes such as D-star and system fusion are where the activity is.
Try the East coast Reflector for some interesting worldwide contacts.
We are entering another solar cycle... so the upper HF bands are opening up for DX... I’m in Oregon making contacts all along the East coast from Florida to Maine. Not hearing on 2m, just means we went to other bands.