Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Congrats to the both of you. I told my wife that she now needs to start studying so that she can get her license as well. She laughed at me... What did you use to study for the test? I used AA9PW.com it was very close to what I was questioned on with a couple of different questions that I had not seen in my studies. Don't know how many I missed as it is a pass/fail test result.
Hamexam.com & hamstudy.com and they’re both free. Both of only missed one, we asked! I’m such a little kid.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
The wife @Firemom and I went down today and tested for our Ham licenses. Proud to say that there are now two new Ham technicians in the word! Won't have our call signs for about 7-10 days, that's what the proctors said anyway, but glad to get that done.
Congrats to you and your wife. [emoji16][emoji106]

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I will keep track of how it goes and try for future nets. With the quakes in town today, I’m gonna be busy helping people and fixing stuff. Thanks for the invite.
I hope all is well up there. When you posted the replay I had not heard there way a quake. After watching the new, it sounded like a big one. We are going to have the NET every Friday at 6pm. Look for it on the Rally points and also the Ham Radio Net thread. Thanks Brent KJ7BHN

Reactions: John Lime III

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
I'm Nef to most AC2UD. I mostly run yaesu hand helds on the road, had my hf radios stolen at a campsite (well way more than that). Waiting on my backup ft817 to arrive. I usually pair this at camp with a buddipole, have had great luck with that combo but have been known to just throw a wire dipole up in a tree.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I'm Nef to most AC2UD. I mostly run yaesu hand helds on the road, had my hf radios stolen at a campsite (well way more than that). Waiting on my backup ft817 to arrive. I usually pair this at camp with a buddipole, have had great luck with that combo but have been known to just throw a wire dipole up in a tree.
Nef. Glad you posted. If you haven't seen it yet...we have a rally point up with info for a weekly net. Love to have you log on some time. Brent KJ7BHN

Reactions: Nef

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
Nef. Glad you posted. If you haven't seen it yet...we have a rally point up with info for a weekly net. Love to have you log on some time. Brent KJ7BHN
Sounds great. Will do.

Arnold Alsua

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Los Angeles
Member #

KM6MNL, new old Ham. Overlanding got me revisiting the Ham Hobby after 30 years.

Location Southern California. Yaesu FTM-400XDR mobile and FT-70 handheld.

Curious if there is a local ham frequency here in Los Angeles that Overlanders monitor.

Cheers! 73's

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
KM6MNL, new old Ham. Overlanding got me revisiting the Ham Hobby after 30 years.

Curious if there is a local ham frequency here in Los Angeles that Overlanders monitor.

Cheers! 73's
Welcome! At the top of the main page of the forum it lists 146.460 as well as the CB and GMRS channels that we use as a group. I also monitor .520 and a couple others using scan.

Reactions: Nef

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you for that Terry! I'll be listening in those frequencies.
In our West Region we also use 146.40 as a secondary channel when on the trail, such as Mojave Road and Death Valley.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR

Cheers! 73's
I have the exact same set up and love it. I see Terry answered the channels question. I also wanted to make you aware of the weekly NET. There is a Rally Page and recurring thread for it. Every Friday night 5:30 pm PST. Hope you can attend one or all..... Brent KJ7BHN