Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

My response had to do with the poor customer support reported by others - something that every company should take to heart.
I have read responses to both good and bad customer support from Garmin. From my experience, it has been great. I have multiple products and had issues with my Fenix watch. They sent me a replacement, also with my Overlander I had a (User issue) and worked me through the process. I believe the answer above was the right equation someone should think about.. The answer given by @Ubiety
"It boils down to do you want an out of the box operational device or something you have to spend hours configuring maps and routes." I enjoy the out of the box integration and operational device. That said it was not worth $700.00 to me, therefore I found one that someone bought and decided to go with the tablet route. He made the right choice for him, I made the right choice for me.

Reactions: smlobx and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I dunno. Crappy product design is different than customer support in my eyes. Both InReach devices I have owned have worked great. I have no interested in any dedicated GPS device like the Overlander for reasons many have listed included myself. I guess I was just trying to state I see no issues with the InReach Mini. My 2 cents.
I purchased a Spot V1 and paid for the "premium" service when they first came out expressly for a motorcycle trip up the AlCan which is a somewhat dangerous proposition in and of itself - customer service issues meant that the device/service was inoperative for a good portion of the trip which was a downer to say the least. I totally agree that design is a huge factor but I also think customer support plays a huge role (especially with subscriptions). At that time Spot was the only player in the consumer space (read affordable) so the design was not as much of a factor in the decision.

Like you I would not consider the Overlander - too many restrictions and too much functionality in the better (IMO) tablet solution. Thanks for the input on the InReach! Since I am already covered for satcom the InReach is more of a want and not a need. But I could see owning one in the future. It was just disappointing to see other's negative comments on Garmin support, etc. I have a bunch of Garmin devices and think very highly of them and hope that Garmin is not "losing its edge".

Reactions: 1Louder and Mtnmn99

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have read responses to both good and bad customer support from Garmin. From my experience, it has been great. I have multiple products and had issues with my Fenix watch. They sent me a replacement, also with my Overlander I had a (User issue) and worked me through the process. I believe the answer above was the right equation someone should think about.. The answer given by @Ubiety
"It boils down to do you want an out of the box operational device or something you have to spend hours configuring maps and routes." I enjoy the out of the box integration and operational device. That said it was not worth $700.00 to me, therefore I found one that someone bought and decided to go with the tablet route. He made the right choice for him, I made the right choice for me.
Glad to hear that Garmin took care of you! I really am a fanboy of Garmin's and was disappointed to hear that others had a bad experience with them. It has been a few years since I purchased a Garmin product so I don't know if they are "slipping' or not - so I do mean it when I say that I am happy to hear you report otherwise. I totally agree that everyone has their own desires/wants/needs - the OP was asking which device he should consider and I offered why I thought the tablet was a better choice per his request for information. That does not mean that the Overlander is the wrong choice - just taking part in the conversation and sharing my thoughts. No disrespect intended.

Kirk M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Rancho Palos Verdes
First Name
kirk
Last Name
mills
Hey guys, I was looking at a Garmin Overlander. Found a pretty good deal on one, and was curious what people think. I use a lot of other Garmin products, so I thought it might be a good fit. I’ve read the pros and cons online, but some people seem bias in either direction. I was looking to add a backup camera to my Jeep, and I see you go go wireless with the Overlander. The camera seems to get really good reviews. I have experience with Gaia, and it too has pros and cons.

Anyhow, just looking at people’s thoughts.

Thanks for the help!

I have the Overlander - I think I paid about $400.00 for it new on a sale, I have not seen it at that price again. - Great unit- I does have some things I don't like but much more that I do like - You can also use it as a tablet. The road maps and off road makes do not overlay so sometimes you have to switch between the two settings to see the roads - you can also down load birds eye views of sections all without the computer. You can also build a track on the computer and just hit your update button on the garmin and it will update wirelessly. The unit updates with just wifi. I would get it again - I love it. It has tons of information built into it - campsites, upcoming stores etc. I have not tried the camera i can't say anything about that. For me - the thing works great. Canada, Mexica and the US all in it and ready to go.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

That is cool. Are the Garmin maps detailed and high resolution? I’ve noticed with OnX, as you zoom in, the image is all fuzzy.
On the Overlander at 100% zoom it is fuzzy - but if you back out a bit it is pretty good -
Okay. That’s what I was wondering. On OnX, the Topo lines are fuzzy when zooming in. Same goes for satellite imagery. I appreciate the reply!

Reactions: Kirk M.

Kirk M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Rancho Palos Verdes
First Name
kirk
Last Name
mills
Okay. That’s what I was wondering. On OnX, the Topo lines are fuzzy when zooming in. Same goes for satellite imagery. I appreciate the reply!
Correction- the topo maps and road maps are perfectly clear at 100% zoom on the overlander - only the aerial maps are fuzzy at full zoom - but those are 3rd party maps- All maps from Garmin are perfect at full zoom and out.overland screen1.jpgoverland screen2.jpgoverland screen3.jpg

Last edited:

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

I run a combination of the Overlander and Gaia on a IPad with a side of InReach bluetoothed to the IPad if I need GPS overlay. I also use the Eathrmate map and usually upload GPX/KML/KMZ files to all and sync. And then I run the ZOLEO for text messaging when out of mobile service areas through my IPhone. Google My.Maps when I do my own planning. Still finding new features on the different platforms all the time. This might be too much for many but I like playing around with platforms.

Reactions: Kirk M. and Ubiety

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Correction- the topo maps and road maps are perfectly clear at 100% zoom on the overlander - only the aerial maps are fuzzy at full zoom - but those are 3rd party maps- All maps from Garmin are perfect at full zoom and out.View attachment 188524View attachment 188525View attachment 188526
Great to hear! Thanks so much for the update!

Reactions: Ubiety

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I run a combination of the Overlander and Gaia on a IPad with a side of InReach bluetoothed to the IPad if I need GPS overlay. I also use the Eathrmate map and usually upload GPX/KML/KMZ files to all and sync. And then I run the ZOLEO for text messaging when out of mobile service areas through my IPhone. Google My.Maps when I do my own planning. Still finding new features on the different platforms all the time. This might be too much for many but I like playing around with platforms.
What exactly does the Earthmate app do? I thought the Overlander just uses the Explore app for planning? I’m still new to this. Thank you.

Reactions: Ubiety

TheViking

Rank III

Member I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Nielsen
Member #

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Why do you use ZOLEO to send text messages when you have an InReach?

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I have my inreach paired to my iPhone and use the map and text function via GPS

What exactly does the Earthmate app do? I thought the Overlander just uses the Explore app for planning? I’m still new to this. Thank you.
Okay, got it. Thanks for the link. So it’s similar to pairing the Overlander and inReach together.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I have my inreach paired to my iPhone and use the map and text function via GPS
Solid 2.8 rating on the iTunes App Store. Way to go Garmin
Haha. I saw that when I went to download it. I actually called them the other day. I asked if anyone there cares about this product, or actually understands it, as no one can answer simple questions. I even explained, that they don’t have an Overlander section on their own forum. Apparently they are putting in the request to have one added.

Reactions: MiamiC70

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Well, I picked up an Overlander for an excellent price. Pretty excited to get it in the field.
I like using mine in tandem with Gaia. I have Gaia on my head unit via carplay. I find the Overlander for me personally works very well when using it for following predefined routes. It holds up pretty well when just exploring but I find I'm looking at Gaia more when I do that. That being said the integration with iOverlander and other camp locations in the Overlander has come in handy in multiple situations when I'm done exploring and just looking for a solid campground or destination. This comes in handy especially when there is no cell service. I too got mine for way under $700. I would not pay full price for this unit but I think that $400-$300 range is definitely worthy of a purchase.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Well, I picked up an Overlander for an excellent price. Pretty excited to get it in the field.
I like using mine in tandem with Gaia. I have Gaia on my head unit via carplay. I find the Overlander for me personally works very well when using it for following predefined routes. It holds up pretty well when just exploring but I find I'm looking at Gaia more when I do that. That being said the integration with iOverlander and other camp locations in the Overlander has come in handy in multiple situations when I'm done exploring and just looking for a solid campground or destination. This comes in handy especially when there is no cell service. I too got mine for way under $700. I would not pay full price for this unit but I think that $400-$300 range is definitely worthy of a purchase.
Yeah, I kind of wanted to branch away from Gaia and using an iPad. I really like all the Garmin integration, and the magnetic mount was really cool. Plus, I could pair my inReach to it. I’ve been so involved with the Garmin eco system, it only made sense. I got mine in the price range you stated. Thanks for the reply!

Enthusiast I

Plainfield, IL, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Renda
Member #

Great thread. We are having a family reunion in Delta, CO in July and am looking forward to hitting some trails and getting away from flat America. Do these apps, Gaia and onX track without cellular service or will a gps unit be needed like a Bad Elf?