Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I see "a winch" coming up very frequently in this thread. I'm in SoCal and traveling on my own very frequently, yet, a winch is one thing I have continued to not buy - am I wrong? Reason being, in all situations where I have been stuck, there's never been a tree or good anchor in a mile radius. It's very very rare that I find myself in a situation where I could see using a winch as a recovery tool - I resort to traction matts, shovel, and jacks. I'm in a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, so I'm not in the most difficult terrain - typically never going on a trail more than 5/10.

Have I just gotten lucky so far and never been stuck where a winch was truly the only way out?
More than likely I would say.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
1. Shovel one short handled and one long handled.
2. Recovery strap with shackles.
3. air compressor
4. High lift
5. recovery boards
Michael, why do you have a winch on your rig if you don't think a winch is a priority ?

Reactions: old_man

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
1. Shovel one short handled and one long handled.
2. Recovery strap with shackles.
3. air compressor
4. High lift
5. recovery boards
This is the exact same setup my wife and I have, but we have multiple straps and just one shovel. Haven’t been able to get a winch yet, though it’s on the list. But we have been able to use our recovery straps and hi lift when the maxtrax didn’t work...but usually they have done the trick.

Reactions: huachuca

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

HOLY COW, I THINK I WILL JUST GO FOR A SUNDAY RIDE ! It takes years to accumulate a stash like that.

You didn't mention anything that isn't needed at some time or another. I've been accumulating for over 60 years and I dont have half of what you listed.

Friends, just get out and do it, use your head and don't do stupid thing's when you lack equipment or ability.
My 2 cents, everyone knows that you shouldn't go out alone but some of us do anyway, myself included. what I bring with me/ what is equipped on my vehicle is:

1. a working winch ( I check my winch before and after a trail run to make sure it is working and the cable isn't bound up in itself.)
2. full size spare
3. recovery straps, shackles
4. snatch block ( I actually carry 2)
5. a winch anchor ( I have been in situations where there were not trees in an area close enough to pull from.)
6. a shovel
7. Hi-lift
8. any specific tools for vehicle and knowledge to do a quick trail repair or at least enough to get you out to a safe area.

I also carry extra fuel and have a CB in the Jeep. there aren't many HAM users in my arear so it doesn't do me any good. My wife always knows where I am headed ( at least a general area) and I usually know the areas pretty well when I am going solo. I have traction boards but have never actually found a spot where they would work to get me out. I have done most of my recoveries with my winch or Hi-lift.
I have been stuck out overnight in a vehicle, stuck in a bog with a few curious wolves and its not the best sleep you'll ever have. I always have a day or 2 of extra food and I am an experienced hiker, which came in handy as the next day I had to walk out about 10 km to the nearest road to get a cell signal to call a family member with a 4x4 to help with recovery. also reached out to a club member who put me in touch with a few people who were in the area and they came out to help too. what I really needed to get out whas my winch anchor... which I had left at home.
View attachment 176898View attachment 176899
Agreed in a perfect world we shouldn’t but sometimes we do and in my case usually not for the purposes for wheeling as much trying to reach a mountain top for photography purposes in the snow. I almost needed my traction boards this weekend just so I could turn around in a tight trail. There is a level of confidence in being prepared and ultimately that situation made me think of a few other items I would like to add.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I see "a winch" coming up very frequently in this thread. I'm in SoCal and traveling on my own very frequently, yet, a winch is one thing I have continued to not buy - am I wrong? Reason being, in all situations where I have been stuck, there's never been a tree or good anchor in a mile radius. It's very very rare that I find myself in a situation where I could see using a winch as a recovery tool - I resort to traction matts, shovel, and jacks. I'm in a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, so I'm not in the most difficult terrain - typically never going on a trail more than 5/10.

Have I just gotten lucky so far and never been stuck where a winch was truly the only way out?
A winch isn’t useless but there are products out there to burry and give yourself a winch point

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
A winch isn’t useless but there are products out there to burry and give yourself a winch point
There are lots of areas in the desert southwest where burying something as a winch point would take a backhoe. Burying a winch point works on a beach, I guess, but traction boards and a shovel will usually work even in deep sand.