Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

Of those most essential to self recovery, do you think the winch is the most versatile?
I wouldn’t say most versatile, but it’s the one that most likely to help you get out of most situations if you are by yourself. It’s not going to work for every situation. It’s still susceptible to mechanical/electrical failure too. Like I said, always have a back up plan.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Versatile is a tricky description. Electric winches are very useful for speedy recovery, trail clearing, and misc home use. They are an investment though and I know many folks who dont use theirs very often. They also have some limitations that are covered elsewhere.

You will need some sort of winch for sure (electric or hand). Hi-lift will work but it's a lot of work for long pulls. (The More-power puller is a worthy choice if you dont go electric)

My other 4 would be a shovel, tree straps, some sort of jack, snatch block(s).

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sounds like another trap . There are alot of ways get unstuck if your a thinker and don't mind hard work you can use a forgotten skill-bushcraft to get out no fancy tools needed. It never hurts to have multiple tools in your box and take the time to learn how to use them all even in ways you wouldn't think of.

Don't let someone scare you away from a winch the maintenance involves respooling line if you've used the winch and didn't spool it evenly and you'll want to run a few feet out then back in once a month to dry up any moisture in the motor. If it requires more than that you've got a crappy winch.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Max tool - Not great at any one thing but adequate in all configurations. Doesn't take up a lot of room and the military version can be had for under $100 on ebay with patience
12V compressor, tire repair kit and tire gauge
Bottle jack with several 'stacking' boards
Quality lithium ion booster pack; I like the NOCO GB150
Winch with shackles, snatch block, tree saver. snatch straps and tow (winch extension) straps

As others have mentioned, the knowledge to use whatever gear you have is the single most important thing.

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Shovel would be my number 1.
Traction mats or sand-ladders, number 2.
Compressor to air-up the tires after recovery. Number 3.
Winch, number 4.
A good jack or two, number 5.
Pretty much THIS....in this order, when rolling SOLO. If I was to offer up any additional, it would be a new kinetic rope, over a kinetic strap. Prices have come way way down on some. They also have the benefit of being easier on you and your vehicle when either being recovered or when towing. Another added benefit is that they can be used more than a few times at one recovery, where as a kinetic strap has less pulls in it before it stops stretching.

Buy a bottle jack slightly bigger than what half your vehicle weighs (capacity). Make , fabricate, or buy a sand/dirt base for it. If you have a friend who can weld, make a V-notch or 3 sides channel piece welded to a cutoff pipe that fits over the jack screw, for a frame/diff cradle.

A winch is nice, but expensive. You can outfit everything on the list, and still have a lot of money to spare. I would move the winch up in the
list if you can afford it, as SOLO means alone. Depending where you are, it might be hours or days until you see someone else.

There are a lot of other stuff you could/should have if running SOLO. Check other threads here for recommendations, the above stuff is minimal.

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

1. Shovel/E-tool
2. Winch/recovery straps/chains
3. Hi-lift jack
4. Tool roll/tool box
5. Air compressor
For me, the mind set is, if I get myself stuck somehow, I should be able to recover myself. Worst case, I have to call for help after I’ve failed to recover myself. I’m usually the one friends call when they get stuck because they know I roll prepared.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
1. Shovel/E-tool
2. Winch/recovery straps/chains
3. Hi-lift jack
4. Tool roll/tool box
5. Air compressor
For me, the mind set is, if I get myself stuck somehow, I should be able to recover myself. Worst case, I have to call for help after I’ve failed to recover myself. I’m usually the one friends call when they get stuck because they know I roll prepared.
This is my setup... add in a full sized splitting axe... it doubles as a BFH, but can still be used to chop the dead tree to winch it out of the way.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

For solo travel traction boards are probably the most useful recovery item. Chances are you need to go backwards to get out and a winch generally is mounted on the front. I’m not a fan of receiver mounts.

That said I’ve used my winch solo probably more as my Maxxtrax have often been at home when I’ve been stuck.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
For solo a winch is #1. From a hi end Warn to a Hi Lift with winch kit, how much do you want to spend and how much work are willing to do?
Winch
Straps, soft and hard shackles, snatch blocks.
Recovery boards
Shovel
Hyd Jack, tools, compressor, spare parts.

The capability of your vehicle effects the choice. I have great tires and front and rear lockers, so when I get stuck, it's stuck.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
For solo a winch is #1. From a hi end Warn to a Hi Lift with winch kit, how much do you want to spend and how much work are willing to do?
Winch
Recovery boards
Shovel

The capability of your vehicle effects the choice. I have great tires and front and rear lockers, so when I get stuck, it's stuck.
^^^^

I only have a rear locker in the Jeep, but when I'm stuck to the point where I'm not moving... I'm STUCK and i'll be winching. The winch and shovel are my two most used bits of recovery gear. I'd add an air compressor/jack/tire plugs as another recovery item as those have been things I've used far more. Most of my wheeling is in the desert or the Sierra rockcrawling so I don't see the need for traction boards personally, and I don't carry them on my Jeep.

On the subject of traction boards... I might get a set or two for our 2wd truck however....

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

^^^^

I only have a rear locker in the Jeep, but when I'm stuck to the point where I'm not moving... I'm STUCK and i'll be winching. The winch and shovel are my two most used bits of recovery gear. I'd add an air compressor/jack/tire plugs as another recovery item as those have been things I've used far more. Most of my wheeling is in the desert or the Sierra rockcrawling so I don't see the need for traction boards personally, and I don't carry them on my Jeep.

On the subject of traction boards... I might get a set or two for our 2wd truck however....

I am with you, living in So Cal traction boards are far less important than a shovel and a winch.
“When you are stuck, you are digging”

Reactions: Island Overlander

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I am with you, living in So Cal traction boards are far less important than a shovel and a winch.
“When you are stuck, you are digging”
Yeeeeep.
At least with most of my experiences in CA.
I'm sure others are going have some differing thoughts given different areas we all explore and how friggen huge the state is...

Reactions: Island Overlander

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Of those most essential to self recovery, do you think the winch is the most versatile?
A winch only works if you have a good anchor, often that is another vehicle, counting on a winch while wheeling alone might be a bad choice.

Number one is judgement, if it looks like you might get stuck, judgement and back up. I used to run in 2WD, get stuck, shift into 4WD and back up.

Number two is traction, tires, limited slip, 4WD, lockers. And tools, a shovel, maybe MAXX Tracks a tow strap.

Number three is the back up plan. A close friend who knows your plan. A cell, ham, VHF....

I have never used my winch for self recovery. Lockers, often.

Last edited:

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

2nd that on the quality winch, plus you should definitely get enough long straps, shackles and snatch blocks. You won't always have trees directly in front of you, so having different angles of pull using snatch blocks can still help get you unstuck. Make sure to have a spare tire and a shovel with you, because you can always bury the spare tire in front of you and winch yourself forward. Look up some videos for "deadman anchor". I've seen in done in the sand, and have heard of it being done on dirt as well. Again, have enough straps and shackles with you.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Shovel would be my number 1.
Traction mats or sand-ladders, number 2.
Compressor to air-up the tires after recovery. Number 3.
Winch, number 4.
A good jack or two, number 5.
I agree with your top 5 except 1,5,2,3,4. Shovel to dig yourself out of the situation, jack to lift the vehicle from the situation, traction mat to put under the tires because of the situation, compressor to air the tires back up after you tried the lowering of air pressure to get you out of the situation, and the winch when the shovel, jack and mat will not work in the situation that you got yourself in to.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Winch
Recovery boards
Shovel

That is a great point - the more capable the vehicle the more stuck you can get. A 2wd car will not get near as far in to the woods as a fully locked big tired off road piece of manliness.