Defender is coming back to the US in 2020

• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

The issues (North American) with the Rover family is they were always a vehicle that needed to be maintained. When I moved back to Canada after being away over my teen and adult life I had the European attitude to vehicles.
There are two very distinct attitudes to vehicles between North Americans and Europeans from my own experience.

I'm 48 and vehicles haven't changed that much since 1987 when i got my license.
IN GENERAL not specific to you

European Attitude,

Choice of vehicles - Most vehicles that are brand new are only purchased by companies for sales people and executives, farmers, lease or for someone who will be having it for a very long period of time or a small city car.
Most families do not have a everyday vehicle and a toy vehicle.
Most 1-5 year old second hand vehicles that are on the market are ex lease which have a great service history and good body work. In the UK if you have damage when you return the lease you have to pay for it. this includes scratches. High mileage personal vehicles are not normally found as the cost of driving is so expensive.
Most 6-10 year secondhand cars are from end of lease or original owners whom have has it as a long term investment - Two type of status from these Very good or high mileage and needs work.
Most 6-10 year third hand vehicles are the second hand drivers trading in as an upgrade.

Full service histories which have been recorded on computer since the early 90's and previously by the service book with dealer stamp and signatures have always kept the price higher for second/third hand vehicles.
A high amount of vehicle owners who couldn't afford to send the vehicles to the dealer were maintained on a weekly, monthly basis. During my drivers test the instructor before we entered the vehicle tested me on the basics of a vehicle. Where is the Oil cap, Dip stick, washer fluid, radiator top up cap. Demonstrate a vehicle safety check before going on trips. (Lights, Breaks, Hazards). Show where the tyre pressure sheet is.
So in general people would do servicing to keep the value of their vehicle higher for resale.

The other reason for well maintained cars is the yearly TUV, MOT tests that if not passed the car is banned from driving on the streets

North American Attitude (Canada & US) not aware of how the rest of north america do it.

Choice if Vehicle - Most vehicles that are brand new are are between Personal and Lease options - In north america companies do not normally buy vehicles for sales or business but for technical and maintenance staff
Lease vehicle do have service history but are not under the strict damage return policy. Most of the lease vehicle I have seen returned are trashed after their lease period
The majority of families have multiple cars and some spare.
Most 1-5 year cars on the market are lease vehicle standard or higher than stipulated mileage or personal vehicles with high mileage and poorly serviced - not easy to find a lease vehicle that isn't trashed or needs care and attention.
Most 6-10 year second and third hand vehicles are in one of two categories - Parts donations or have been taken care of.

In general North Americans do not treat their vehicles as a long term investment but as a tool to be used and thrown away.

Remember this is My experience and may not be a true representation of how it really is.
I have gained this experience in North America from my my neighbours in 5 different locations, colleagues, vehicle groups i'm with and seeing the General state of vehicle on the road

BACK TO THE POINT.
The Rover family of vehicles
Rover = Cars (No longer in production)
Land Rover = Utility vehicles
Range Rover = Upper crust and wannabees

Land Rovers were designed to be the work horse and were always maintained by the Farmer, Miner, Military person on a daily basis as it was a tool
Range rovers were designed to be on a regular expensive service where problems were fixed.

The problem came of unreliability in North America is because North Americans are not accustomed to servicing Land rovers on their own on a daily / weekly basis ( Like Harley Davidson) People who own a range rover deserve what they get if they do not keep up regular servicing.

Land rovers problem is that they try to sell a vehicle that is specked to the north american market which is not sold to anywhere else in the world. 5ltr V8 petrol, SCV6 petrol - what else do you expect??

Sadly we come to today. LR and RR have merged into a blob of gooo designed for the Asian market where anyone over 6ft2 1.87m do not fit into the cars and they all look the same. Unfortunately they rely on TATA to keep on throwing money to keep the trendy market vehicles together. they should just retire the Land Rover mark as all vehicle now look like Range Rovers.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

The issues (North American) with the Rover family is they were always a vehicle that needed to be maintained. When I moved back to Canada after being away over my teen and adult life I had the European attitude to vehicles.
There are two very distinct attitudes to vehicles between North Americans and Europeans from my own experience.

I'm 48 and vehicles haven't changed that much since 1987 when i got my license.
IN GENERAL not specific to you

European Attitude,

Choice of vehicles - Most vehicles that are brand new are only purchased by companies for sales people and executives, farmers, lease or for someone who will be having it for a very long period of time or a small city car.
Most families do not have a everyday vehicle and a toy vehicle.
Most 1-5 year old second hand vehicles that are on the market are ex lease which have a great service history and good body work. In the UK if you have damage when you return the lease you have to pay for it. this includes scratches. High mileage personal vehicles are not normally found as the cost of driving is so expensive.
Most 6-10 year secondhand cars are from end of lease or original owners whom have has it as a long term investment - Two type of status from these Very good or high mileage and needs work.
Most 6-10 year third hand vehicles are the second hand drivers trading in as an upgrade.

Full service histories which have been recorded on computer since the early 90's and previously by the service book with dealer stamp and signatures have always kept the price higher for second/third hand vehicles.
A high amount of vehicle owners who couldn't afford to send the vehicles to the dealer were maintained on a weekly, monthly basis. During my drivers test the instructor before we entered the vehicle tested me on the basics of a vehicle. Where is the Oil cap, Dip stick, washer fluid, radiator top up cap. Demonstrate a vehicle safety check before going on trips. (Lights, Breaks, Hazards). Show where the tyre pressure sheet is.
So in general people would do servicing to keep the value of their vehicle higher for resale.

The other reason for well maintained cars is the yearly TUV, MOT tests that if not passed the car is banned from driving on the streets

North American Attitude (Canada & US) not aware of how the rest of north america do it.

Choice if Vehicle - Most vehicles that are brand new are are between Personal and Lease options - In north america companies do not normally buy vehicles for sales or business but for technical and maintenance staff
Lease vehicle do have service history but are not under the strict damage return policy. Most of the lease vehicle I have seen returned are trashed after their lease period
The majority of families have multiple cars and some spare.
Most 1-5 year cars on the market are lease vehicle standard or higher than stipulated mileage or personal vehicles with high mileage and poorly serviced - not easy to find a lease vehicle that isn't trashed or needs care and attention.
Most 6-10 year second and third hand vehicles are in one of two categories - Parts donations or have been taken care of.

In general North Americans do not treat their vehicles as a long term investment but as a tool to be used and thrown away.

Remember this is My experience and may not be a true representation of how it really is.
I have gained this experience in North America from my my neighbours in 5 different locations, colleagues, vehicle groups i'm with and seeing the General state of vehicle on the road

BACK TO THE POINT.
The Rover family of vehicles
Rover = Cars (No longer in production)
Land Rover = Utility vehicles
Range Rover = Upper crust and wannabees

Land Rovers were designed to be the work horse and were always maintained by the Farmer, Miner, Military person on a daily basis as it was a tool
Range rovers were designed to be on a regular expensive service where problems were fixed.

The problem came of unreliability in North America is because North Americans are not accustomed to servicing Land rovers on their own on a daily / weekly basis ( Like Harley Davidson) People who own a range rover deserve what they get if they do not keep up regular servicing.

Land rovers problem is that they try to sell a vehicle that is specked to the north american market which is not sold to anywhere else in the world. 5ltr V8 petrol, SCV6 petrol - what else do you expect??

Sadly we come to today. LR and RR have merged into a blob of gooo designed for the Asian market where anyone over 6ft2 1.87m do not fit into the cars and they all look the same. Unfortunately they rely on TATA to keep on throwing money to keep the trendy market vehicles together. they should just retire the Land Rover mark as all vehicle now look like Range Rovers.
Sad but true, especially in regard to the US.

From my own personal experience and observation I'd say the 80/20 rule tends to apply as well.

In most of the world 80% of the personal use vehicles are compact, small cars. Here in the US 80% of the personal use vehicles are big honkin' things. In some cases the owners of these big honkin' things insist on making them bigger! The 80% might be a tad high here in the US, but the majority are larger vehicles.

What really gets me are these people who go out and buy brand new vehicles in the $40k - $60k range (trucks and SUVs for the most part) yet they can barely pay their bills! Yet 3 years, maybe 4, they turn around and do the same! I have friends and family like this...it's sad. I know of a 20-something here in my town that is renting a house that could fit in my garage; more of a studio apartment size. However, two years ago he purchased a brand new truck that "might" fit in one bay of my garage - long, double cab and tall. He then spent a ton of money adding all sorts of stuff like a lift kit and such. He is already shopping around to replace it.

It is his money, and he can do with it what he wants, but what is the better investment - buying a house or keep buying new trucks.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
The guessing game is part of the hype they are running false bodys on the chassis the bodywork wont be released till they have finished :wink:

Reactions: Correus

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

View attachment 85481 The liverbuildings never got dazzled because the lufftwafer used it as a landmark :wink:
My aunt told me stories of the war where she would be on the dunes of Moreton beach on the Wirral and watch the Luftwaffe come down the Dee estuary and turn right to follow the Wirral coast line and use the Liver building as a reference point for the bombing, they would then circle round and any spare bombs they would drop on Birkenhead docks, Wallesy, Leasow then Moreton before heading down the Dee right into the Hurricanes and Spitfires at RAF Sealand. RAF sea land was mainly used as a R&D camp where they would develop fuel tanks to fit to Spitfires and Hurricanes. Still to this date you can go to the bogs around the Dee and see some of them half in the marsh.

Reactions: tacomatt76

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
My aunt told me stories of the war where she would be on the dunes of Moreton beach on the Wirral and watch the Luftwaffe come down the Dee estuary and turn right to follow the Wirral coast line and use the Liver building as a reference point for the bombing, they would then circle round and any spare bombs they would drop on Birkenhead docks, Wallesy, Leasow then Moreton before heading down the Dee right into the Hurricanes and Spitfires at RAF Sealand. RAF sea land was mainly used as a R&D camp where they would develop fuel tanks to fit to Spitfires and Hurricanes. Still to this date you can go to the bogs around the Dee and see some of them half in the marsh.
I go wildfowling on the Dee and keep my boat in heswall. She was a fire boat in WW2. Were you hail from fozzy

Reactions: tacomatt76

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I go wildfowling on the Dee and keep my boat in heswall. She was a fire boat in WW2. Were you hail from fozzy
I'm Originally from Fort Mc Murray Alberta Canada but lived in Moreton & Oxton Wirral, between 13 and 17.5 when I Joined the RAF Regiment to travel the world. Between 13 and 18 i used to go to Capel Curig, with the Gwydyr Mountain Club in Pont Cyfyng
http://www.gwydyrmc.org.uk/Images/HomePage/HomePage-HutCottage.jpg

and climb all around the area and did my Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Silver Gold Award. This is also the Area where I did Mountain Rescue later in life and where I wanted to move to after leaving the MOB. But i ended up in Canada again

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Am in Snowdonia most weekends. Except this year due to family health issues but will be back i think ive asked you this before lol

SouthernCross

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Southern
Last Name
Cross
Member #

I’m a Land Rover guy at heart but a Toyota guy with my back pocket...
I know it won’t be the same as the Series 2A of my younger years, but happy none the less that there will be another new vehicle in the market to keep the off road scene alive.

—> Anyone else interested? Build ideas?

Check out: "Land Rover confirms 2020 Defender is returning to North America"- Land Rover confirms 2020 Defender is returning to North America
Getting closer! Details coming in September

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
This feels a lot like what Jeep did with the Cherokee. Use the name of a formerly popular model and try to get the sales from it. Don't get me wrong, the new Cherokee can perform for what it is, but it's no XJ. Same situation here in my opinion.
I Can't say much...hint...hint, but I believe that final EPA certification for Land Rover and Jaguar were finalized or near completion last year for USA distribution of diesel power train options. If you have followed my prior postings you will understand my position. The SW=heat, North Great lakes area/the front range-Colorado= cold/winter/snow, Florida and Gulf Texas=humidity. Those that live in those areas have seen the ZEBRA cars, and will recognize them for what they are. these are all the areas that get geographic evaluation protocols and engineering certification standards. You don't bring them to the USA and the millions it costs for certification, unless you plan to do just that. An area I have cried tears over is by Toyota passing on just that decision option.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

It's sad when they take a really cool vehicle, muck it up, and turn it into something soccer moms drive to the mall and to pick up the kids.
I don't know about the US but here in the UK, a very high percentage of all Land Rovers are used to take precious little Billy and Jonny on the school run. The closest to any form of offloading is when their "spacial awareness" escapes them and they inadvertently mount the kerb outside the school to unload their little cherub.

That's the reason why Land Rover aren't interested in replacing the Defender with a Utility vehicle. They're only interested in selling "high priced" vehicles to boost their profit. They've forgotten their history. Grrrrrr!

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Crossoverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Indianapolis, IN
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Manners
Member #

I think this defender looks like a Kia Soul, but crossovers are decently capable these days, still not a true BOF offroad experience though. The real defender replacement is the Bollinger B1 EV. That thing looks like a defender, removeable softtop, no doors, so many configurations! So excited for this to come out in this article ---> Overlanding Goes Electric!

Last edited: