Defender is coming back to the US in 2020

• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

It is sad they will muck it up. That's why old Defenders are going up in value so much. We will never see that design again. I'm happy with my 2 landcruisers.
I bought my '63 SIIa 88 SW in June of '04. I'm too embarrassed to tell all y,all how long it's been torn down for a rebuild (I'm slow, NOT a mechanic and have never rebuilt a vehicle). I am almost finished. I did have the body panels professionally painted (I tried to do it but don't have the knack). The shop that painted them specializes in vintage, rare, exotic and custom street rods; they also know what's gone into the rebuild so far. They told me I needed to have reappraised for insurance. I was stunned at what they valued it at (based on what's been done so far) - 6 times the amount I paid!!

This, plus a comment made by another OB member in re buying a Series, caused me to look at the current costs. If I were to buy my Rover today, in the same condition it was in when I bought it, I couldn't justify the purchase. They are selling for anywhere between 2 to 3 times the cost I paid. The prices are even rising in the UK. If I were to pay the same amount for one today that I paid in '04 I'd be lucky to have a rusted out hulk that had an engine that even started.

Reactions: tacomatt76

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I'm a Land Rover guy at heart, and like others have said previously....I only have a Toyota sized bank account! It appears LR has lost its way, and seems to have been forced into it by appealing to the masses. I'm sure it's a business decision, and I can't say I blame them. Gotta make money if they are to survive. I just wish they came up with another name, cuz the new one ain't no Defender!

Reactions: Correus

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Great car. But how do they going sell them here vs with Jeep rubicon ? it's just better every where around for your buck. Nothing against Land rover but price way up. I would say russian UAZ is cheap and does better than any Jeep or Land Rover.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Great car. But how do they going sell them here vs with Jeep rubicon ? it's just better every where around for your buck. Nothing against Land rover but price way up. I would say russian UAZ is cheap and does better than any Jeep or Land Rover.
I don't think their target audience is the overlanding offroad 4x4 crowd any longer. I think they are marketing to the high end soccer mom and Rover "lifestyle" group.

Haven't met a Rover lover yet that actually likes this thing.

Most Rover owners I know who are into overlanding offroad 4x4 type things own the older ones, especially when it comes to the Series and Defender. I think the same can be said for the RR and Disco crowd as well. I could be wrong though.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I agree . Rover is rich people toy . Most of the cost vs capability is just no good for overlanding.

plus People has nostalgia about Land rover but Dodge Rebel put any Defender in dust, and Ford Raptor is even more killer.

I don't think their target audience is the overlanding offroad 4x4 crowd any longer. I think they are marketing to the high end soccer mom and Rover "lifestyle" group.

Haven't met a Rover lover yet that actually likes this thing.

Most Rover owners I know who are into overlanding offroad 4x4 type things own the older ones, especially when it comes to the Series and Defender. I think the same can be said for the RR and Disco crowd as well. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Yes Orvis ......? I like as you said it
It's like buy Orvis fly fishing rod vs other brands. But still no fish with Orvis !

They’ll sell these things. Posers living above their means need something to put their Orvis stickers on, right?

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I agree . Rover is rich people toy . Most of the cost vs capability is just no good for overlanding.

plus People has nostalgia about Land rover but Dodge Rebel put any Defender in dust, and Ford Raptor is even more killer.
You must be mistaken here, at least in regard to the older Rovers. Time and again the older Rovers still outperform other vehicles including many more modern ones.

There is a reason Land Rover has been the vehicle of choice for extended, long range travel and competitions. This record has gone as far back as the 1950s. There is a reason Land Rover set the bar for future builds by competitors.

Also, you are actually comparing apples to oranges when it comes to something like a Ford Raptor to an actual LR Series or Defender and even the RR and Disco. The Land Rover was designed for overlanding, it is more than capable.

IMHO I thing you are confusing the "modern" Land Rovers with the original ones.

tacomatt76

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

112 Riverview Close Southeast, Calgary, AB, Canada
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

That's not it. Everyone was aghast when that concept was revealed. They got scared and started a different design. No one wants defender to look like a plastic toy.
And that's why I said "supposedly". I have seen some pics that are not available online and it does look similar to it. It looks more similar to the concept one built in 2014, yet heavily based on an LR3/4.

The person who took the pics said that "rumor has it" that there are actually 3 styles being tested. He told me that if you look really close at the pics you will see variations.

I asked him what he thought of the one he saw - he hated it. He said it looked like they were trying to turn an LR3/4 into a Defender.

LR did scrap the new RR and there has been speculation that this will also be scrapped. No matter how hard they try to hype it, there's just too many people not liking it as a "Defender".

About 10 years ago an auto engineer prodigy, who was in his teens, won a competition wherein contestants had to design the "Defender of the Future". His design looks a lot like it.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I sad its great cars used to be, never made to US. But one made in USA were terrible quality (Discovery), engine failure, transmission, and electrical problem.
A new generation on Rovers is very expensive, I mean very with doubtful reliability . I have Jeep and its not reliable as Toyota , but parts is way cheaper than Rover.
You have mentioned 1950's well it's way back no most don't even remember anymore in USA .
You will disappointed with new model, they will be rather too expensive and unreliable , which is important during overlanding .

You must be mistaken here, at least in regard to the older Rovers. Time and again the older Rovers still outperform other vehicles including many more modern ones.

There is a reason Land Rover has been the vehicle of choice for extended, long range travel and competitions. This record has gone as far back as the 1950s. There is a reason Land Rover set the bar for future builds by competitors.

Also, you are actually comparing apples to oranges when it comes to something like a Ford Raptor to an actual LR Series or Defender and even the RR and Disco. The Land Rover was designed for overlanding, it is more than capable.

IMHO I thing you are confusing the "modern" Land Rovers with the original ones.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I sad its great cars used to be, never made to US. But one made in USA were terrible quality (Discovery), engine failure, transmission, and electrical problem.
A new generation on Rovers is very expensive, I mean very with doubtful reliability . I have Jeep and its not reliable as Toyota , but parts is way cheaper than Rover.
You have mentioned 1950's well it's way back no most don't even remember anymore in USA .
You will disappointed with new model, they will be rather too expensive and unreliable , which is important during overlanding .
That's why I prefer the one I have. The parts are easy to get and no ways near as expensive as most think. My brother, and brother-in-law have newer trucks and their parts are horribly expensive compared to mine.

The wife however, is interested in getting a newer RR.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

The wife however, is interested in getting a newer RR.
My neighbor just got rid of his 2016 Sport. Looked great, but a dealer service rental was in his driveway at least twice a month since the day he brought it home and I’m not exaggerating.