Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Just glad they didn't mention Ginnie Springs.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Kinda surprized The Everglades isn't on this list.... seen countless tourists try and shake hands or selfie with an alligator only to find out gators are quick and not very friendly.

• Wow
Reactions: 9Mike2

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
There's a great book called "Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon " by Michael P. Ghiglieri and Thomas M. Myers. It lists every known death in the Grand Canyon and the story behind it if known. They update it every year. While there are a few true accidents and some suicides, most of the recent deaths are just people who are very used to guard rails, signs, the nanny state, and haven't been off a sidewalk in decades. Having assisted with one helicopter rescue while on a raft trip, I can't say enough about the Search and Rescue guys and gals working there.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Been to 7, a handful numerous times.

Parks like the Grand Canyon have a whole subset of visitors that take a trip down the Colorado through the canyon. That trip has it's own set of dangers. But ohhh, how wonderful it is!

Then you have climbers in Yosemite and Zion, that has to up the numbers compared to parks that are mostly drive through type parks.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Been to 7, a handful numerous times.

Parks like the Grand Canyon have a whole subset of visitors that take a trip down the Colorado through the canyon. That trip has it's own set of dangers. But ohhh, how wonderful it is!

Then you have climbers in Yosemite and Zion, that has to up the numbers compared to parks that are mostly drive through type parks.
I've done several of the raft trips and my wife has done more than I. But we are both experienced adventurers (hikers, backpackers, canyoneering, Overlanding, etc). The rescue I mentioned was on one of those commercial trips. The lady did survive, but only after being resuscitated on the helicopter ride out. We had to build a chopper pad to get them in. She coded on the way out but the defibrillator worked. The problem with the commercial trips is the only requirement to go on the trip is that your check clears the bank. Even though I consider it a very easy adventure, to the inexperienced and those with limited fitness it can be overwhelming. We are seeing this in the overland/offroad arena now as well. More completely inexperienced and unprepared folks in the backcountry. Rescues are up. Man cause wildfires are up. The amount of trash is through roof. A few generations of being disconnected from the land is bearing its ugly fruit.

OBDave

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast I

Albertville, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4OK
Service Branch
6 years in AL ANG
We have been to 4 of the 10, but going to be picking up some new ones this summer

SCPO16

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, Virginia, USA
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Mason
Member #

Service Branch
Navy - ISCS retired
Just been to one - Grand Canyon - three days at Point Sublime on the North Rim and a 14 day raft and hiking trip down the whole length of the canyon.

Dangerous to my mind is a combination of knowledge of the place, understanding your limitations, being prepared for what you plan (fighting Murphy's law), and not being stupid. Like trying to hand feed a Grizzly cub, or a Bison photo unclose, or dipping your toes into Old Faithful.

Peanuts

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Cravalho
Member #

Story checks out. Grand Canyon being one the planet's largest holes in the ground. I never underestimate humans, and our ability to not make the right choice.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'd say most "urban, city parks" are far more dangerous..... especially after dark.

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Six for me, most of them multiple times. Truly national treasures.
Haven’t had to be rescued yet, ya know, bein‘ from the east and all…

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

We just got back from a 6 State, 4 National Park's, a Cave tour, several days of High & Gusty winds, 5 summits over 10,000 feet and a total of 2,484 miles. Yesterday just 7 miles south of Jackpot, NV on 93N we came to an abrupt stop. We could see the EMS vehicles but could see what was up. 25 minutes go by, the Ambulance arrives and departs. Finally they allowed us to head North around the incident. A loaded Budget Rental Truck and Car on Trailer - had been blown off the road by a South-bound Semi. The car and trailer were 1+ feet off the pavement. Accidents happen, just like that... Back to the topic of this thread, I am amazed that Canyonland's isn't on this top 10. We watched several people almost fall, taking selfies. . .
David

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
According to a post on the Smarter Travel web page; these are the 10 most dangerous National Parks, based on Search & Rescue data. We added our tenth, last year with a trip to Olympic National Park.
1. Grand Canyon National Park
2. Yosemite National Park
3. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
4. Yellowstone National Park
5. Rocky Mountain National Park
6. Zion National Park
7. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
8. Grand Teton National Park
9. Olympic National Park
10. Arches National Park

How many OB's have been to all ten?

DCG