Dangerous National Parks

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Perhaps the article should be retitled National Parks ranked by most number of unprepared visitors or stupid visitors.
It's akin to the signs which say "Dangerous bend ahead" (or something similar) - the bend's not hazardous, it's just sitting there - the danger is incompetent drivers.

Our visits:

1. Grand Canyon National Park
3. Kings Canyon National Park (the one north west of Uluru)
5. Rocky Mountain National Park
9. Olympic National Park
10. Arches National Park

I'd like to know how "danger" is measured - is it number of deaths per thousand visitors, number of deaths per visitor day, number of deaths per visit, % ICU occupancy adjacent to the park...?

Reactions: 9Mike2 and 200LC

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Sequoia and King’s Canyon are separate parks. Although geographically close, they are as different from each other as they are from Yosemite, which is also close by. Therefore I’ve been to those 3, and Arches.

Reactions: 9Mike2

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I’ve been to all 10.

My guesses for their top dangers:

1. Grand Canyon National Park = Tourists especially in the summer months that easily hike down to the river or it’s overlook on Bright Angel Trail and don’t bring enough water and/or underestimate the effort required to hike back up.
2. Yosemite National Park = Rock climbers and/or road rage during peak traffic season.
3. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park = PCT hikers failing to make it through before snow hits because they don’t have the proper cold weather gear.
4. Yellowstone National Park = Tourists trying to get a closer photo of the bison by the roadside.
5. Rocky Mountain National Park = Hikers caught out above tree line when the afternoon lightning storms hit in summer.
6. Zion National Park = Angels Landing hike and/or road rage during peak traffic season.
7. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area = Drunk campers at night on the pontoon boats out on the lake.
8. Grand Teton National Park = Tourists trying to get a closer photo of a moose during rut.
9. Olympic National Park = Hikers caught without the necessary rain gear.
10. Arches National Park = Hikers without enough water during the warm months.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Elzevir

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
If you were to assemble a list of National Parks ranked by numbers of visitors per year I suspect it would correlate well with a list of the parks ranked by danger.

I just try to stay away from people.
Based on 2020 census data, these are the 25 most visited National Parks:

1Blue Ridge Parkway15.9 million
2Great Smoky Mountains National Park14.1 million
3Golden Gate National Recreation Area13.7 million
4Gateway National Recreation Area9.1 million
5Lake Mead National Recreation Area7.6 million
6George Washington Memorial Parkway6.8 million
7Natchez Trace Parkway6.4 million
8Lincoln Memorial5.8 million
9Gulf Islands National Seashore5.5 million
10Zion National Park (6 on "Dangerous" list)5 million
11Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park5 million
12Yellowstone National Park (4 on "Dangerous" list)4.9 million
13Grand Canyon National Park (1 on "Dangerous" list)4.5 million
14Rocky Mountain National Park (5 on "Dangerous" list)4.4 million
15Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area4.3 million
16Acadia National Park4 million
17Cape Cod National Seashore4 million
18Grand Teton National Park (8 on "Dangerous" list)3.9 million
19World War II Memorial3.7 million
20Vietnam Veterans Memorial3.6 million
21Yosemite National Park (2 on "Dangerous" list) (8th largest National Park in the U.S.A.)3.3 million
22Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area3.3 million
23Cape Hatteras National Seashore3.2 million
24Indiana Dunes National Park3.2 million
25Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (7 on "Dangerous" list)3.1 million

I also looked at and noted the 10 largest NPs in the US. Only one is on the most visited list.

My take is that the "Dangerous" moniker is is more related to the type of visitors than number of visitors or park size. They all seem to be parks that attract a more adventurous visitor who wants to push their gear and skillset but needs a certain amount of accessibility to begin their adventure. In other words, people like me that watch to many outdoor survival shows and get themselves in trouble by not spending enough time working on skills before going on adventures.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Kudos for looking up that data. Very insightful. Really surprised the first two are out east - but maybe that’s why they are so popular. Utah, for example, has five with an easy drive.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Based on 2020 census data, these are the 25 most visited National Parks:

1Blue Ridge Parkway15.9 million
2Great Smoky Mountains National Park14.1 million
3Golden Gate National Recreation Area13.7 million
4Gateway National Recreation Area9.1 million
5Lake Mead National Recreation Area7.6 million
6George Washington Memorial Parkway6.8 million
7Natchez Trace Parkway6.4 million
8Lincoln Memorial5.8 million
9Gulf Islands National Seashore5.5 million
10Zion National Park (6 on "Dangerous" list)5 million
11Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park5 million
12Yellowstone National Park (4 on "Dangerous" list)4.9 million
13Grand Canyon National Park (1 on "Dangerous" list)4.5 million
14Rocky Mountain National Park (5 on "Dangerous" list)4.4 million
15Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area4.3 million
16Acadia National Park4 million
17Cape Cod National Seashore4 million
18Grand Teton National Park (8 on "Dangerous" list)3.9 million
19World War II Memorial3.7 million
20Vietnam Veterans Memorial3.6 million
21Yosemite National Park (2 on "Dangerous" list) (8th largest National Park in the U.S.A.)3.3 million
22Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area3.3 million
23Cape Hatteras National Seashore3.2 million
24Indiana Dunes National Park3.2 million
25Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (7 on "Dangerous" list)3.1 million

I also looked at and noted the 10 largest NPs in the US. Only one is on the most visited list.

My take is that the "Dangerous" moniker is is more related to the type of visitors than number of visitors or park size. They all seem to be parks that attract a more adventurous visitor who wants to push their gear and skillset but needs a certain amount of accessibility to begin their adventure. In other words, people like me that watch to many outdoor survival shows and get themselves in trouble by not spending enough time working on skills before going on adventures.
Nice job putting that together.

Looking at the list in that fashion I am struck by the fact that of the top 25, those that are not also on the "dangerous list" appear to be much closer to population centers than those that are on the "dangerous list".

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

"Most Dangerous" is from the Search & Rescue data!
Yes, but I think based on the locations, number of visitors, and other data, some of us are scratching our head wondering why those parks have so many SAR calls relative to others.

I would venture to guess it’s based on the physical size of the park (the ability to be really remote), but Zion doesn’t fit that mold.

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
"Most Dangerous" is from the Search & Rescue data!
I noticed that. I think our yard might be more dangerous than National Parks based on the number of SAR actions per visitor. Seems like I am constantly searching for one or more of my kiddos and/or having to rescue them from each other or tall trees.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I noticed that. I think our yard might be more dangerous than National Parks based on the number of SAR actions per visitor. Seems like I am constantly searching for one or more of my kiddos and/or having to rescue them from each other or tall trees.
You need a dog. Particularly a dog of the shepherd flavor.

When I don't know where a Varmint is, all I have to do is pay attention to where the dogs are paying attention. Then I know which way to go.

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG

When I don't know where a Varmint is, all I have to do is pay attention to where the dogs are paying attention. Then I know which way to go.
I would love to have a dog again, but I have 11 children. Adding another living being that needs training, nurturing, and feeding just is not in the cards for me right now.

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I can easily imagine how you need your own SAR team.
We kind of have that with the older kids.

My hat is off to you for taking on such a challenge.

You have been blessed with many arrows in your quiver.
Thank you. I am truly blessed to have such a quiver full. Each and everyone of them has been a blessing that I do not deserve.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia

Good plan, as long as you're not travelling internationally, or at least between certain nations.

Ramseyr

Rank II

Member I

Richland, Benton County, Washington, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ramsey
Member #

According to a post on the Smarter Travel web page; these are the 10 most dangerous National Parks, based on Search & Rescue data. We added our tenth, last year with a trip to Olympic National Park.
1. Grand Canyon National Park
2. Yosemite National Park
3. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
4. Yellowstone National Park
5. Rocky Mountain National Park
6. Zion National Park
7. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
8. Grand Teton National Park
9. Olympic National Park
10. Arches National Park

How many OB's have been to all ten?

DCG
I’m only missing Olympic. Strangely, it’s the closest one to my house. Go figure.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

We have been to all of the listed parks and came out without a scratch. I would be curious to see how the numbers have changed graphed alongside the growth of Instagram etc. I don't know how many times I have seen people climb over fences and out onto ledges so that they can get a picture that makes then look like they are a great adventurer but are really about 20 feet from the sidewalk...but I digress.