Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

According to a post on the Smarter Travel web page; these are the 10 most dangerous National Parks, based on Search & Rescue data. We added our tenth, last year with a trip to Olympic National Park.
1. Grand Canyon National Park
2. Yosemite National Park
3. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
4. Yellowstone National Park
5. Rocky Mountain National Park
6. Zion National Park
7. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
8. Grand Teton National Park
9. Olympic National Park
10. Arches National Park

How many OB's have been to all ten?

DCG

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
According to a post on the Smarter Travel web page; these are the 10 most dangerous National Parks, based on Search & Rescue. We added our tenth, last year with a trip to Olympic National Park.
2. Yosemite National Park
3. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
4. Yellowstone National Park
5. Rocky Mountain National Park
6. Zion National Park
8. Grand Teton National Park
9. Olympic National Park
10. Arches National Park

How many OB's have been to all ten?

DCG
been to 7

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

What makes them "MOST" Dangerous

6. Zion National Park

9. Olympic National Park
10. Arches National Park

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
makes one wonder....

is a canyon that has been sitting there minding its own business for millions of years "dangerous"?

OR...

are the people getting hurt there just really stupid? 1645064129055.png
all those years of evolution and people really are dumber than rocks!

1645064062754.png

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

10/10…
As for being dangerous, I agree that popularity equals more visitors, equals more mishaps. Topography and climate also contribute. Grand Canyon and other desert parks see a LOT of heat-related issues - dehydration, hypernatremia, heatstroke. Visitors to mountainous parks overestimate their abilities in tough terrain, fall down, break bones, get too close to wildlife, suffer from altitude sickness, or have other medical emergencies. Some are just victims of the social media flu and fall off overlooks while framing that perfect Insta-pic. Ouch!
These parks, and all of our protected lands, are truly national treasures. Do a bit of research, know the hazards and prepare appropriately. Leave the bubble wrap behind and have fun!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
8 of 10, with not much of any desire to visit the human infested others. Wait- does going out to Kelly Point Overlook count? It should as we were within park boundary- so 9 of 10. BTW, the reason so many are out west is, duh, because there are just 11 national parks east of the Mississippi. The other 51 are out west.

Elzevir

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Young
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Context is key as everyone is pointing out. For reference, the article is based on the number of times SAR was called to look for someone. I only looked at Grand Canyon's numbers because it shows how click-baity the article was. The SAR numbers for Grand Canyon NP were 785 calls from 2018-2020 (3 years). In that time frame that specific park saw 15,250,000 guests. That incidence is 0.0005%

And they did total numbers, not percentage based. Obviously if you have more guests you are more likely to have more problems.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Perhaps the article should be retitled National Parks ranked by most number of unprepared visitors or stupid visitors. As noted above, these are all out west - so there should be a correlation:)
So very true.

I was at a conference where the keynote speaker was an Oklahoma native, presenting to a bunch of us Kalifornians. The speaker noted that back in the '30s a bunch of folks packed up and moved from Oklahoma to Kalifornia (overlanders?), thereby increasing the average IQ in both places simultaneously.

Being that my grandfather brought his family (my father included) to Kalifornia from Oklahoma, I have no doubt where I stand in that scenario.