Communications for the Beginner

• HTML tutorial

yota2313

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Barrie Ont Canada
Member #

cb newbie here. if my cb looks like this most of the time does that mean I have no signal? I can hear people and signal bars come and go while I'm listening. PTT I have full bars though.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
cb newbie here. if my cb looks like this most of the time does that mean I have no signal? I can hear people and signal bars come and go while I'm listening. PTT I have full bars though.

You're on the right track. The reason your CB looks like that without bars means it isn't receiving an RF carrier or signal. CB's do not constantly transmit and therefore if you aren't in range of anybody AND they aren't transmitting you won't see the bars. It's hard to say what the bars represent as there's no true scale typically. Different manufacturers and different models even, have different thresholds for representing received signal strength.

Have you measured SWR or tuned the antenna on your setup?
Here's a good read on that if not, may be worth a shot just to make sure your antenna/coax/radio are all performing correctly.
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

Best of luck!

Reactions: MBroenkow

yota2313

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Barrie Ont Canada
Member #

Kk I figured that's what was happening. Haven't tuned it yet with the SWR. Surprisingly none of the truck stops I've gone to in my area don't do that type of thing[emoji848]

anotheraznguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tracy, Ca
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZN
Call this the most newbie question of all. I see there are mobile and handheld solutions. I know the handheld's have the audio piped out through the device but for the mobile CB's does the audio come out of the Box or the Mic. Also for most of you guys, do you purchase a 5watt external speaker or is the cb itself sound loud enough?

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Call this the most newbie question of all. I see there are mobile and handheld solutions. I know the handheld's have the audio piped out through the device but for the mobile CB's does the audio come out of the Box or the Mic. Also for most of you guys, do you purchase a 5watt external speaker or is the cb itself sound loud enough?
CB's typically have built in speakers but not all are adequate in my opinion. It also depends how you mount your radio - if you have a downward firing internal speaker and mount your CB to the roof near a rear view mirror (which is popular) then you probably won't have any issues, other areas may cause a reduction in audio and depending how loud your ride is could make a difference. I typically always recommend some kind of external speaker, for the price and added clarity you really can't go wrong and then you can mount the speaker somewhere that's convenient for you to hear. Just keep it off the a/b posts if you have a new vehicle to avoid the side impact air bags!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

A cell phone is great where it works. It does a lot easily and quickly, but the places I like best don't offer reliable service, and for that I am grateful. To supplement the cell phone, I also have a standalone Garmin GPS, a CB, and a Delorme inReach.

yota2313

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Barrie Ont Canada
Member #

finally was able to tune my antenna with this thing. Channel 1 the needle sat at 1.4 and ch 40 it sat at 1 after following radio worlds steps to tuning an antenna. Is that a good reading? I didn't have to turn the tip on the antenna at all. Anything I do to my rig never seems to go smoothly. So I'm a little suspicious on whether or not that's a good reading on the first try......thoughts??

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sounds ok. Usually under 1.5:1 is acceptable. What was the reading on 20? If it is between your other two readings, you can tune the tip pout a bit and shoot for getting the lowest reading on CH 20 and going up as you go toward either CH1 or CH40.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Sounds ok. Usually under 1.5:1 is acceptable. What was the reading on 20? If it is between your other two readings, you can tune the tip pout a bit and shoot for getting the lowest reading on CH 20 and going up as you go toward either CH1 or CH40.
good tuning tip. i cant find anyone with a meter, so i guess ill pick one up.

TacoVenturer87

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Kenora, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gren
Member #

I hope I don't start a "Rotella" type thread haha
I am newbie, wont deny it. My question to you all is, what are tried and true CB radio's that work, are reliable and lastly, are budget minded.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I hope I don't start a "Rotella" type thread haha
I am newbie, wont deny it. My question to you all is, what are tried and true CB radio's that work, are reliable and lastly, are budget minded.
You'll hear this more than one time if you haven't already...

It's more about the antenna than the radio, moreover the MATCH between the radio and the antenna.

Find a good spot that an antenna will survive on your truck, buy the best antenna you can afford, buy a reasonably good radio and then match it (or have it matched by someone who knows how) using an SWR meter and you'll be as happy as if you spent huge money on the radio.

Dan.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The cobra 19dxivlvth4-366/14.251a6^3 or whatever the designation is now (19dxiv or ultra iii haha) is a solid, small package and affordable radio. A slightly larger is the 18wxst-ii is a good one, has the weather channels and is a good choice as well.

I personally ONLY use 102" whips with CB. I've had the best luck with those over any of the fiberglass ones I've tried to use and they'll take loads of abuse off-road as well.

Reactions: TacoVenturer87
S

SubeeBen

I'm not an expert, but if I could only have one radio, I'd have one of these and program it with FRS channels.

View attachment 11477

On the four OB trips I've been on, FRS was the most common.
Where can your get FRS channels to program. Is there a list or ? As I just got one of these radios & am trying to figure how it works.

Reactions: T-88

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I have a CB and a Baofeng handheld in the Jeep, and also got my HAM license. I put a magnetic 2m antenna up for the handheld and a 3 ft. firefly firestik for the CB. Covers a lot of bases, most the guys on the trail are CB (which I prefer due to ease of use, legality, accessibility to all, and affordability). But several folks also have the Baofengs onboard as well. They come in handy when the groups get split up and they lose contact with CB. Usually the Boafengs will reach a little better and can help keep the groups in contact (and they in turn spread the messages via their CBs).

S

SubeeBen

Very good thank you very much for the feedback much appreciated &happy overlanding ✌