Cheap Amazon Diesel heater recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That's what I'm trying this weekend. I wasn't successful when I tried it before but its possible I did it wrong. I had read the difference between the 2.5k and 5k was that setting. A 2k would actually be ideal for my set up.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Shahn I would think so if it is dry - just remember as few bends as possible on the furnace intake airline and exhaust

Reactions: Shahn

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

An additional note the combustion air intake has a cheap silencer rather than and actual air filter. Cheap ATV/small motorcycle filters have been used for fliters.

Still looking for a good option for the "furnace" air intake. I f Ican find a 3d printable snorkel hood, I can add an actived carbon filter.
Good to know that these would work, was curious if the flow resistance is to high or not.

@smritte As for possibly filtering the furnace air intake Pipercross has nice foam filters that apparently filter silt dust but now personal experience, and yes the silicone hose is definitely pricey but the best solution and will last a long time

Reactions: Shahn

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So I checked the current draw during heat up today and the power draw in watts, watts is a little bit higher because of the loss of the power supply, even though that might not be to much.

The highest current I saw during start up sequence when the pump was pulsing was 9,2A and something around 150W.
Didn't take pictures from everything...
Current was max. 2,5A while running on H6 normal heating operation, using about 50W (I assume it's not very precise here...)

IMG_20230204_164121_compress70.jpgIMG_20230204_164000_compress45.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Dracho

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Just to make sure I got this.
Peak current with glow plug on was 9.2A
Running on high fan was 2.5A

Your controller is the same one I have. What heater do you have and are you able to change the HZ for the fuel pump?

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Just to make sure I got this.
Peak current with glow plug on was 9.2A
Running on high fan was 2.5A

Your controller is the same one I have. What heater do you have and are you able to change the HZ for the fuel pump?
Yes you got that.
You are talking about some advanced settings? Like changing the ratio Fan speed / pump frequency? If so, no idea didn't try that.
The Vevor 5kw aio has the same controler than this one but this is a generic unit I got from a ebay seller with local stock.

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

@MazeVX Take a look at eth video below it shows how to switch to hrz

I'm quite sure that this is the other controller, they look almost identical but are completely different.
This video describes the controler I have on both heaters

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
From what I've read, there's several versions that look like the ones you posted. Number of fan blades, color of temp readout. What's even better, some of them are not completely compatible with the heater their supplied with. You could look up your controller and not get certain functions. From what I read on that aussy's site, (the one who makes the nice controllers) the heaters are almost all the same, the internal control boards are not. He shows eight or ten diffrent control boards with two or three compatible with his controller.

Reactions: MazeVX

harpersJK

Rank III

Enthusiast I

harrisonburg va
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Harper
Member #

I recently built one of the Amazon diesel heaters and installed it into an apache 4800 case and I'm truly impressed with the heat output. Still figuring out all the settings.

I thought I'd share my exhaust setup, I don't believe anybody has tried this. I installed one of the new muffler/silencers into the case and cut the backside of case out. I built an exhaust pan out of aluminum to incase it in and it worked out nicely and no heat issues at all.

Now to create some duct work in my rooftop tent.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That muffler cut out is great. An issue I've had with mine is a small breeze kept changing direction and blowing the exhaust back to my intake. I'm going to elevate the intake and put a small filter on it to keep powder dirt out.
Nothing like diesel smell in the morning to get your heart started.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Reactions: harpersJK

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not the combustion intake, the fresh air intake. The filter will have a three inch opening. Out here we get powder silt blowing around. I also occasionally have the breeze blow the exhaust back towards the same.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@smritte that one I am struggling with - I am looking at 3d printing a snorkel hood and adding a filter that way. The filter is the issue so far.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@smritte I am going to try this one
It should work ok, I need to pop my RTT and heat it so I can give it a good test as far as code throwing.

Reactions: smritte