Cheap Amazon Diesel heater recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
After doing some more research, I've learned that with the vevor heaters, error code e-2 is an over voltage error. This is likely due to a fully charged lifepo4 battery, with a working voltage of 13.3.

I've ordered a 12v 20A voltage stabilizer to try out. I'll update after it gets here.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Voltage stabilizer came in last night. Outputs a constant 12.39 volts when connected to the battery. I might just put some ring terminals on the stabilizer, and toss it onto the heater over the weekend, and try sleeping in the tent to see how it works.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
After doing some more research, I've learned that with the vevor heaters, error code e-2 is an over voltage error. This is likely due to a fully charged lifepo4 battery, with a working voltage of 13.3.
Can you link the regulator? This is something I haven't seen "yet". I'm just starting to use mine. My solar will keep my battery topped off.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Can you link the regulator? This is something I haven't seen "yet". I'm just starting to use mine. My solar will keep my battery topped off.
This is what I bought. I hooked it to the battery, and put my multimeter on it. It's rated at 20A, but will only pull that while the glow plug is heating up, so it should be more than sufficient. I'll let you know how it works.

BP Jeep

Rank III

Traveler III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Pine
Member #

I bought my Vevor branded heater off ebay cheaper as well. Things I have learned it needs a good battery to start up and shut down when the glow plug is on other than that it draws 10 to 40 watts at different setting to run. It works so good at keeping me warm.

Attachments

Reactions: rgallant

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I have gone very basic as I only use the heater maybe 6-10 times a year, although it makes for a great tent dryer.

Protective cover is being built as the electronics are not waterproof, can also side mount if I am sleeping inside the truck.

IMG_0878[1].JPG

Power is also very basic and admittedly inefficient, but it does work. The charger only pulls about 2 to 3 amps and as I only run the heater for maybe 90 minutes most days will bring it back up in about 4 hours.
Testing while driving shows no significant impact on truck charging. A dc to dc charger is under consideration once I find a decently priced 50AH battery.

IMG_0877[1].JPG

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Hey guys, bought a vevor 5kw aio unit a while ago and been tinkering around with it since then, so far nothing catastrophic, worked out of the box, added some edge protection where the fuel line and cables crossed the housing and modified the exhaust, will add a inline fuel filter when I picked up some more flex hose.
It's running fine at home with a 12V 10A power supply.
If you are interested I can post some pics later?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hey guys, bought a vevor 5kw aio unit a while ago and been tinkering around with it since then, so far nothing catastrophic, worked out of the box, added some edge protection where the fuel line and cables crossed the housing and modified the exhaust, will add a inline fuel filter when I picked up some more flex hose.
It's running fine at home with a 12V 10A power supply.
If you are interested I can post some pics later?
I'm curious how you're able to run it off of a 10A power supply. My vevor unit pulls a bit over 11A when warming up. I've tossed around the idea of picking up a 15A power supply for lots of uses...

Reactions: MazeVX

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver They are a little flakey that way some pull around 10 some as high as 12
Yeah, I figure a 15A supply should work, depending on the voltage output. I'm not planning on putting mine in a case until I verify that it's working like it should, so I'll just be running it off my lifepo4 battery for now anyways.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm curious how you're able to run it off of a 10A power supply. My vevor unit pulls a bit over 11A when warming up. I've tossed around the idea of picking up a 15A power supply for lots of uses...
So I've seen youtubers measuring everything between 7-10A, since I'm a electronics guy I had an idea of what I want for power supply of this thing and so I just bought one and it works... Haven't yet measured how much it actually draws but I just can assume that some people might use the provided connectors and that would not work... They are good for maybe 2A but would restrict flow above what could be a reason why it's not working for some.
Since they only draw 10A for a short amount of time it's totally OK to use the max power then since most of the time it below 2A.

Reactions: rgallant and reaver

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Second try...
I'm dumping some pictures of the Vevor 5kw aio unit I have, with the finished "exhaust mod", exhaust was done with a 90° factory bend piece and a 25mm steel tube. I would recommend using 24mm tube or its imperial equivalent because the bend pieces fit over but not the regular exhaust tube. The isolation is a generic glassfiber isolation tube and it stays cool to the touch after 25 minutes running full power, I just flipped the ends in to have a clean end without fibers.
If you have any questions feel free to ask, will make some detail pictures when I eventually get back to work on it.
Currently missing but highly recommended is a fuel filter...

IMG_20230123_155954_compress92.jpgIMG_20230123_155927_compress19.jpgIMG_20230123_161440_compress6.jpgIMG_20230105_171229_compress74.jpgIMG_20230110_182859_compress54.jpg

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Testing out the heater with the voltage stabilizer placed inline today. Heater fired right up, and gave me no errors. Gonna run it until we have to leave at about 4:30, and see how it does.

Update: Heater is still blowing nice and hot, and hasn't skipped a beat. Going on 4 hours now.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Second update:

Just shut the heater down. Was still going strong. With the exception of what I think is exhaust gas getting into the blower intake, and getting blown into heating tube, I'd say the test was a success. I'm sure with some header gasket sealant, I should be able to fix the problem exhaust leak.

Now the task of putting it I to a new box...

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Second update:

Just shut the heater down. Was still going strong. With the exception of what I think is exhaust gas getting into the blower intake, and getting blown into heating tube, I'd say the test was a success. I'm sure with some header gasket sealant, I should be able to fix the problem exhaust leak.

Now the task of putting it I to a new box...
You definitely need to use a exhaust extension.
Got the second heater installed in the garage today, not finished but enough for testing and it ran great. And BTW it's also running with the 10 A power supply...
Got a 15A on order that will be boxed with some outlets so I can use it for whatever. IMG_20230128_184924_compress55.jpgIMG_20230128_200725_compress52.jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Got the second heater installed in the garage today, not finished but enough for testing and it ran great. And BTW it's also running with the 10 A power supply...
Got a 15A on order that will be boxed with some outlets so I can use it for whatever. View attachment 249117View attachment 249118
Looks good. Good idea and clean install. Thanks for sharing, Mathias!

And Iwould like to take this opportunity to say that this is an example of a great thread. Because here, in one thread, many members are gathering their knowledge, sharing it with each other, discussing it, writing down their experiences. This is how an enormous pool of experience and knowledge is gradually being created. and many people can learn from it. Simply great!

Let´s keep this going...

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@MazeVX I know you have your exhaust routed, but out the side is better it as avoids both the cold air intake and hot air output for the hot air better. If you have a permanent mount then you can seal the exhaust better.

Reactions: MazeVX

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Got a 15A on order that will be boxed with some outlets so I can use it for whatever. View attachment 249117View attachment 249118
I'm assuming that using a high temp gasket material to help seal the exhaust will also help prevent any exhaust from entering the blower intake.

I'm assuming this won't be much of an issue once I get it mounted in the box it's going in.

Reactions: MazeVX and rgallant