Cheap Amazon Diesel heater recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just so you're aware, I have one of these being delivered today, but purchased via fleabay. There substantially cheaper over there. Once it gets here, I plan on firing it up.

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Just so you're aware, I have one of these being delivered today, but purchased via fleabay. There substantially cheaper over there. Once it gets here, I plan on firing it up.
Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you, we are looking to get one for our Thanksgiving trip this year.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm going to be using it in a few weeks. The goal is to be able to go out solo during the winter, without the need for a sub zero rated sleeping bag (though I'll have one on hand just in case).

Reactions: Desert Runner

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I'm going to be using it in a few weeks. The goal is to be able to go out solo during the winter, without the need for a sub zero rated sleeping bag (though I'll have one on hand just in case).
Have heard of issues with the screens/glow plugs on the Chinese models, wondering how easy it is to find parts or how universal they are. Seen some good reviews on the maxspeedingrods model on Amazon, did you get an all in one, or a kit to install into a box? How many KW?

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I haven't run one of these myself, however I've heard that running them off of kerosene instead of #2 diesel avoids a lot of problems with soot build-up and pretty much gets rid of the risk of gelling in the cold. The diesel heaters have no problem running kerosene and it burns much cleaner.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Have heard of issues with the screens/glow plugs on the Chinese models, wondering how easy it is to find parts or how universal they are. Seen some good reviews on the maxspeedingrods model on Amazon, did you get an all in one, or a kit to install into a box? How many KW?
I got a vevor 8kw all in one unit. Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. Had to work until 5,then had to go and pick up kitties from the vet, then make dinner, etc, etc. I won't get a chance to fire it up until after my kid goes to bed tonight, at the earliest.

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

@reaver
Are you ground camping, car camping or roof tent?
What's your plan in terms of placement? Outdoor or indoor (with the heater & the exhaust hanging outdoor)?

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
cheap chinese imports combined with flammable liquids...i'm in!

View attachment 243149
lol! :kissingsmiling:

They usually work. Even the good "brands" are mostly made in china.

The question is always: how long do they work. And how to get them working again if they fail.

If I remember how often my webasto water heater in my land cruiser was under repair - probably it is cheaper to use those cheapies :triumph:

trippin

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver
Are you ground camping, car camping or roof tent?
What's your plan in terms of placement? Outdoor or indoor (with the heater & the exhaust hanging outdoor)?
I'm either sleeping inside my Xterra on the sleeping platform, or in my RTT on the trailer. I may try and use this with the Xterra, and fab up a spacer that I can place on the window, but in either case, the heater will be outside, with the air being pumped into my sleeping space.

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Same here. Look at tire table and use that as the flatform for the heater....$50 on Amazon

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

PLEASE! Do a review as there are many looking at these....

Jim

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
PLEASE! Do a review as there are many looking at these....

Jim
I will consider that for sure.

Will definitely be firing it up this weekend and seeing how it works. I was hoping to do it this week, but family obligations have kept me busy all week.

I'm planning on using it over the weekend of 11/11 for two nights to heat the tent. I still need to get a longer flexible duct though.

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Just ordered the 5kw Vevor diesel heater for the Death Valley trip on Nov 2nd. Planning to place the heater on the jerry can holder on the rear swing out while I bunk in my vechicle.
Screenshot_20221024-230215(1).png