Best mobile air compressor unit for Overland travel?

• HTML tutorial

yeos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moses Lake
First Name
Torn
Last Name
Saelee
Member #

I just got a 400P Auto as well, did you ever find a good container for it? just curious as I'm not a huge fan of the Meltable Nylon bag either, I'd rather be able to put it away quickly after use.
I have not found a better container yet. I don't mind a soft bag, but would prefer one less flimsy and more durable.

D

danbrown

I have a Smitybilt 2781 5.65cfm compressor. It’s not bad, just takes a bit of time to fill up my 37s.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is that it runs continuously vs an ARB that switches off when air is not flowing.

I fixed the problem by adding a pressure switch and wiring it in series with the on/off switch. Oh, and I also changed from the Japanese air coupler to a standard npt type.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've been using a simple, portable Ryobi p731, 18 volt, LiIon battery operated hi and low pressure inflator deflator. Small, portable, convenient, not too expensive, and runs on the same batteries that the Ryobi portable power tools like circ saw and drill run off. Tops put at 150 psi. 3 year warranty.

Cost about $45 or $50. I used it for 3 years and the air pressure guage would no longer zero out.. started reading 113.5 just standing there. oi can trick it into filling a tire with 35 psi by setting it to 150, but that's about it. Mine was just out of warranty so I had to buy the new p747. The Ryobi rep was there and threw in a double capacity battery and a quick charger.

Maybe someday I'll get a Vaiair, but I dont like needing to connect to the truck battery. I never have to open the hood to use this

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I have a Smitybilt 2781 5.65cfm compressor. It’s not bad, just takes a bit of time to fill up my 37s.

The one thing I didn’t like about it is that it runs continuously vs an ARB that switches off when air is not flowing.

I fixed the problem by adding a pressure switch and wiring it in series with the on/off switch. Oh, and I also changed from the Japanese air coupler to a standard npt type.
Could you share what parts and a brief "How To"?

Reactions: danbrown

D4R4x4

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Sumner County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Timmons
Member #

I have that same model and have been wanting to do that mod. If you could share more details, that would be much appreciated.

D

danbrown

Could you share what parts and a brief "How To"?
Yes! Let me find the parts I used (somewhere in my Amazon history), draw up a diagram and post it in the DIY section. I’ll post back here when I do.

• Love
Reactions: Jim SoG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I have the Smittybuilt also, and use a 2.5 gallon air tank for additional air. Works well and cheap.
tank5.JPG
This is the cutoff switch I use on my tank. There are many others out there as well. When the tank reaches 100psi the compressor shuts off. This prevents the comp from running too much and overheating.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I've been using a simple, portable Ryobi p731, 18 volt, LiIon battery operated hi and low pressure inflator deflator. Small, portable, convenient, not too expensive, and runs on the same batteries that the Ryobi portable power tools like circ saw and drill run off. Tops put at 150 psi. 3 year warranty.

Cost about $45 or $50. I used it for 3 years and the air pressure guage would no longer zero out.. started reading 113.5 just standing there. oi can trick it into filling a tire with 35 psi by setting it to 150, but that's about it. Mine was just out of warranty so I had to buy the new p747. The Ryobi rep was there and threw in a double capacity battery and a quick charger.

Maybe someday I'll get a Vaiair, but I dont like needing to connect to the truck battery. I never have to open the hood to use this
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice deal with the 'REP' throwing in the big battery and charger. That made it a great deal. I have had good luck with my Ryobi 18 Volt tools, and actually considered their air pump, but got the Viair 88P on sale instead. Would reconsider that option (P747) if I needed a back-up to my primary. I have 285x75x16 tires, so it would be capable for a 33" tire.

PS: A 3 year warrenty is a excellant addition, given that most items have a 90 day or 1 year coverage limitation, and as has been discussed in numerous threads, air compressor units live a hard life, and see extreme duty cycles, leading to high mortality rates. Probably something those who do not air down all the time would find useful and more or less, least expensive as an addition to their kit.

Last edited:

franklinrc

Rank II

Contributor III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Franklin
Member #

You can’t really go wrong with most brands. The thing to keep in mind is the operating time (work/rest cycle) and your tire size. The ARB twin is great but you have to factor in the mounting l, which can get expensive. Moreover, they are usually mounted in the engine bay which get dirty and can limit the life of the compressor.

I have the Viair 480p and use the Desert Does It under-seat mount. Keeps the compressor in the cab away from dirt and water.

Runtble

Rank II

Member I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Member #

I previously used a co2 tank, and swapped the Milwaukee m12 inflator. Now that the Milwaukee m18 inflator is out, I have upgraded to the m18 version. I love the lack of cords and pressure settings with memory.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I've previously had the Viair 450c onboard, while not portable the brand did not let me down (They even have new Expedition Line of kits). So much so, Ive got a 480c in a box in the garage that I've not installed yet. I'm actually trying to decide if I make it a portable with some custom bracket/box, or bite the bullet and hardmount it. I do have the ARB twin in my wishlist, just always looking at that price.

Reactions: Desert Runner

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
has anyone used a Sherpa brand compressor? i saw this and it is a bit spendy, but has a max amp draw of 45 amps. thats a pretty substantial motor to take that kind of current. all of the ones i've used were generally around 15 amp

Reactions: Desert Runner

BikeManDan

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Beckler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DGB
If you're looking for a heavy duty air compressor and don't mind paying a premium, check out Extreme Outback Products. I have their ExtremeAire High Output (in the kit form) and it's a beast. Some specs:
– 3/4 horsepower motor
– 49 amp draw @ 100 psi
– 1.5 cfm @ 100 psi
– Continuous duty up to 150 psi, Max pressure 200 psi.

Reactions: grubworm

Alan S

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

windsor ca
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Air armor here, had it for several years now and works fine for inflating my 32" tires. just let it cool down before inflating your buddy's tires too

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
So I'm on my second install for the Smittybuilt. I took the air tank out of this install for lack of room until I get a topper for this truck. Still preforms well and does what it should.
Zim
IMG-0128.jpg

IMG-0127.jpg

Reactions: MMc

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I use a harbor freight 150psi it works fine for what it is, it takes me around 3 minutes to fill one 33" e rated tire from 0 to 80 psi. Im sure there is better and worse out there but this is the only portable 12v air compressor ive ever used so idk. If i had to buy another one not harbor freight id get one of those 200psi dual head compressors off amazon.
80 Lbs? What are you hauling? An 18wheeler uses 90lbs in the steer tires to support 12,000 lbs +/- , just curious