Best Bang for Buck Overland Rig

• HTML tutorial

What is the Best Budget Overland Rig? (Feel free to suggest others for addition to the poll)

• Jeep Cherokee

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Toyota Land Cruiser

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Land Rover Disco

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Isuzu Trooper

• Suzuki Samurai

• Toyota 4Runner

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Toyota Tacoma

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

As much as I appreciate the xj... I'm gonna throw another one into the mix... A 2nd gen mitsubishi montero. They are inexpemsive, can be had with diff lock, and reliable.. My in-laws have a 1994 monetero they bought in 1996 that they use for their winter vehicle, and I keep telling them to sell it to me.

Attachments

Reactions: Zydeco blue

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So, I'm wanting to restart my overland rig build. I'm trying to offload the Willys truck, not because I don't like it, but because I want to share this with my wife and kids. So, I'm idea hunting. I've got a couple must have's, shoot me some ideas to do some digging!

Must haves:
--Seats 4 or more
--Prefer '80 or older, would go as late as a '90 model
--$5000 or under to start (hopefully can be bought in running condition for the price)

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Jeepster Commando. You can get one pretty cheap, but they're older and smaller than a lot of rides on here.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
It's taking quite a while for the used prices to drop on the FJ60's... lowest I've ever seen (and I'm always watching) was around $12k and that was an oddity. Typical is 15-20k for a very high mileage one.
I don't think they're dropping anymore, they seem to be on an upward trend. They're becoming very "collectible".
About 6 years ago I bought a good running fj62 for $1800, fixed most of its problems, and they're were many, and sold it for $7000 18 months later.

I'm a capitalist, don't judge me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using OB Talk mobile app

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

The FJ60's and 55's definitely caught my eyes. I have found a few 40's around Ohio in that $5-7K range. But there again, very few and far between and going to be smaller than the others. I've got a beat on a nice CJ6, but if I go that route I'm almost garuanteed to have to have a trailer down the road. What about IH Travelall's? Might be a little bigger but would probably still make a great OV rig.

I agree the Wagoneer's and FJ60/62's seem to be commanding higher dollars these days. I'm afraid I'm asking too much of the market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fernando Silva

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

The pre-80 game might make it tough to find a good solid rig under 5K. Here's a thread with some ideas though: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/best-bang-for-buck-overland-rig.3194/

If I was in your boat, I'd be sourcing a used Cherokee for around 2-3k, throw some tires and suspension at it and you're all set.

If vintage is a must... then I do see some wagoneers for sale in the southwest for under 5k from time to time.

Lane Boatright

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

B
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Boat
Member #

The pre-80 game might make it tough to find a good solid rig under 5K. Here's a thread with some ideas though: https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/best-bang-for-buck-overland-rig.3194/

If I was in your boat, I'd be sourcing a used Cherokee for around 2-3k, throw some tires and suspension at it and you're all set.

If vintage is a must... then I do see some wagoneers for sale in the southwest for under 5k from time to time.
You wouldn't believe what a guy I'm my town has, 79 Cherokee super chief with a iroc camaro under the hood. Wants $2200

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Me being the toyota fan that I am I would get an old 4runner. The logic behind that is that there is aftermarket support and the oem parts are typically good quality too.

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

First Gen Isuzu Trooper or Mitsubishi Monterro. always loved those.