Best Bang for Buck Overland Rig

• HTML tutorial

What is the Best Budget Overland Rig? (Feel free to suggest others for addition to the poll)

• Jeep Cherokee

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Toyota Land Cruiser

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Land Rover Disco

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Isuzu Trooper

• Suzuki Samurai

• Toyota 4Runner

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Toyota Tacoma

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

What platform would be the most affordable for initial investment and parts availability/cost for mods?

If I had $5000 total for a rig build... I'm thinking I would go for a Jeep Cherokee for the reliability of that inline 4.0, the 80-120k mile units for $2000, and the parts they have available.

Another option may be a FJ80 with under 200k if it already has some mods installed.

What do you think? (I'll add poll choices if people have any unique suggestions.)

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm actually considering a Cherokee for my next beater / DD / Low dollar rig once my current beater car dies. Dead simple vehicle, millions were sold and acceptable runners can be had for cheap. As far as parts availability and price, the Jeeps is probably going to be best of the list. You walk in to any Junk yard in the U.S. and there will be a few Cherokees laying there ready to have parts stripped off.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm a bit biased toward the Trooper cause I have one. The Jeep is a very close second. I picked up my Trooper with 90k on it for 3000 bucks. The space inside is incredible. The space was the winning factor over the jeep for me.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
While I miss my XJ, I'd go with what I can sleep in, in a hasty camp (think late night run and you're knackered). The only mechanical issue I've experienced with my Cherokee was the crankshaft position sensor which was a cheap but pain in the @$$ to replace.

On second thought, I can sleep diagonally in the back so I'd go with the Cherokee. Parts were cheap too, even from the dealership.

That was back in 2001 so YMMV

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Hey! No 4Runner?!?!
- Easy to get parts for.
- Because of that - parts are cheap
- Runs for ever with little TLC.

Sigh.
I guess I could go for a Cherokee.
They're easy to mod and also run forever.
Land Cruiser would be nice, but I know I would dump a ton of money into it.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'm actually considering a Cherokee for my next beater / DD / Low dollar rig once my current beater car dies. Dead simple vehicle, millions were sold and acceptable runners can be had for cheap. As far as parts availability and price, the Jeeps is probably going to be best of the list. You walk in to any Junk yard in the U.S. and there will be a few Cherokees laying there ready to have parts stripped off.

I have a Cherokee for sale ;) lol

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

What platform would be the most affordable for initial investment and parts availability/cost for mods?

If I had $5000 total for a rig build... I'm thinking I would go for a Jeep Cherokee for the reliability of that inline 4.0, the 80-120k mile units for $2000, and the parts they have available.

Another option may be a FJ80 with under 200k if it already has some mods installed.

What do you think? (I'll add poll choices if people have any unique suggestions.)

Can't find a Cherokee here with 80-120k that cheap.. I got a great deal on mine at $4k with 190k miles.

I don't even want to think about how much money I have put into it. Problem is, I am waaaayyy too picky and any noise I HAD to find it and fix it.

In the past 8 months I have done the following:
Front and rear axles have been rebuilt
New control arms
New brakes all around
Completely new suspension and shocks
New power steering pump
New Steering gear box
New U-joint all around
New hub bearins/assembly
LED Headlights
Transfer case drop
JCR Vanguard front bumper
JCR rear bumper
New wheels and BFG KO2 tires
New Battery
Snorkel
New track bar bushings
EBC Drilled and slotted rotors and EBC pads
And that is just the stuff I can rememeber...

If you aren't picky about every little noise then a Cherokee can be a cheap and reliable rig.

14980563_10209842478271698_2010773054505947180_n.jpg

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Quick / Funny Story -
Before I bought my 4Runner I was looking to pick up something on the cheap - so I found this 1998 Cherokee and went to test drive it.
It had a 100K+ miles on it, the body was in great shape - and the dealership only wanted $3000.

So, I took it out for a drive, and was basically set on buying it.. Then as we pulled into the parking lot the water pump blew.
I could tell the salesman was freaking out on the inside but he decides to turn to me and say "so, what do you think - do we have a deal?"
And that's when I offered him $1000 and went into this long diatribe about the heads warping and how they'd need to replace those as well, etc.
Dude wouldn't budge on price and said I was "getting an amazing deal for the price".
I left that day without buying that Jeep and that guy called me for a solid week to see if I was still interested.

Anyway...

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Hey! No 4Runner?!?!
- Easy to get parts for.
- Because of that - parts are cheap
- Runs for ever with little TLC.

Sigh.
I guess I could go for a Cherokee.
They're easy to mod and also run forever.
Land Cruiser would be nice, but I know I would dump a ton of money into it.
Fixed the poll :D

Reactions: RaggedViking

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
No Grand Cherokee? What the hell? ;-)
If you've come across this thread looking to start from scratch with a new (used) rig, this is worth a watch (from 08:00 to 16:00 minutes in)...