Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Finally have some parts coming in! Now I can make use of this quarantine and get ready for the summer. For now just some photos of the new bits and next week ill actually get around to installing them.

First Suspension! no more "20 year old sat in the woods of Washington" shocks. No lift here as I like the height of my truck as is and it should be fine for river crossings and most offroading routes. No plans of hitting the Rubicon anytime soon.
IMG_7053.JPG

And of course the most important piece! :sunglasses:

IMG_7054.JPG

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

There’s a few 2 barrel stand alone EFI kits on the market now that don’t break the bank and are super easy to install and make just a world of difference in drivability on a old I-6.
I like the idea of swapping over to EFI but for now im going to stick with the carb since even the cheap ones are still around the price I paid for the truck haha

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Also as this is a Budget Build I want to be transparent about costs. Before I share that though my goal for this truck. I will keep the drivetrain original. No engine swaps or new transmission or differential. I will be doing this with a drivetrain that can be purchased for $900. That being said outside of that I will do whatever I want but I will keep costs in two columns.
1) necessary - anything I have to do to keep it going and keep it working on and off road
2) unnecessary - anything to make it comfier or more enjoyable that doesn't necessarily help me on or off road

View attachment 147488
Hi Reed. I think what you are doing is great. My rig is a 88 Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 that is pretty much stock. Like yours, no power, original engine and drive train. The only thing I have done is put KO2's on it. Your "do It" spirit is inspiring and I''m looking forward to your updates.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Hi Reed. I think what you are doing is great. My rig is a 88 Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 that is pretty much stock. Like yours, no power, original engine and drive train. The only thing I have done is put KO2's on it. Your "do It" spirit is inspiring and I''m looking forward to your updates.
Thanks BigG I really appreciate it! and thats a sweet truck you've got there! I love hearing about others running stock older rigs makes me feel less crazy because i so often see the tricked out new toyotas on the trails. Thanks for the encouragement!

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

is that a fixed line route ?
It was. It's a Via Ferrata that runs across the cliff face. The section in the photo was the sketchiest section with pieces of bent rebar sticking out for your feet. Quite a fun experience but we definitely went the wrong time of year as we were 10 seconds away from being hit by an avalanche.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I love the truck. I think a budget build is great. They are so freeing and allow you to really build something cool. It is so nice to build something that you don't worry about modifying, drilling a hole, or getting a scratch. I have a 90 Suburban and have done a lot to it and still have well under $6K into it. Most of that was on the truck at $4200. I have been dreaming about a early 90's square body Suburban for 25 years, so I was willing to pay the asking price for the right one.
I really love what you are doing and where you are giong in the build. Keep up the good work.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

I love the truck. I think a budget build is great. They are so freeing and allow you to really build something cool. It is so nice to build something that you don't worry about modifying, drilling a hole, or getting a scratch. I have a 90 Suburban and have done a lot to it and still have well under $6K into it. Most of that was on the truck at $4200. I have been dreaming about a early 90's square body Suburban for 25 years, so I was willing to pay the asking price for the right one.
I really love what you are doing and where you are giong in the build. Keep up the good work.
Thats exactly it I love not worrying about my truck. Any damage done to it just adds more character as far as I'm concerned! and the square body suburbans are great for an offroader too. I appreciate the positive feedback and am looking forward to seeing where this build of mine goes too!

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

New shocks installed all around! Thankfully (despite being 30 years old) everything went pretty smoothly! Tomorrow its a boring job of me trying to fix the gasket that went bad in the steering box :sweat: power steering on a tank like this out on the trail is quite nice so need to get it working again.

IMG_7157.JPG

IMG_7156.JPG

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

An Update...and need some opinions!

I swapped the super old steering box because it was leaking out of the upper and lower seal. Nothing special just got a rebuilt OEM replacement for like $90.

THE ISSUE (and this was also a thing with the old steering box):
The wheel is turned left when going straight. The pitman arm is on correct and straight. The steering column is connected to the steering box and aligned correctly. Lastly, the steering wheel is connected and only fits one way. Can this be alignment and both wheels are off at the same exact spot?

Soon enough it will be small / fun upgrades instead of maintenance...i hope!

IMG_7231.JPG

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It is a simple adjustment of the tie rod. There is turnbuckle on it. Loosen the clamps and turn it to shorten the rod.

Last edited:
Reactions: stark-in-the-wild

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
If I remember correctly, the steering shaft was splined so you could pull the steering wheel and adjust it on the shaft. If yours isn't like this you might have to pull and adjust the steering arm

Reactions: stark-in-the-wild

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Awesome truck. Yes, I'm one of the ones who had spent way too much on my truck. I love it, but then I see what $900 could have got me. I could have a brand new Coyote 5.0 in that truck with some pretty amazing suspension. Lesson learned I guess.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Awesome truck. Yes, I'm one of the ones who had spent way too much on my truck. I love it, but then I see what $900 could have got me. I could have a brand new Coyote 5.0 in that truck with some pretty amazing suspension. Lesson learned I guess.
A Coyote 5.0 would be SSSOOO nice! but the first 5.0 engine I get goes into my '67 Mustang project first as its less of a budget build haha And there is something nice about knowing that I can fix this engine with a 1/2" wrench on the side of the road if i needed to *fingers crossed*

I love the all out, no expense spared trucks! Those are what got me interested in the hobby in the first place!