Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Going to do this in story format as t is cathartic for me and maybe someone out there is going through a similar dilemma.

So I was having some issues with my 2015 Ram 1500 Rebel that I think were self inflicted. The AEV lift that I had installed never really seemed right. The brake line rubbed on tire and actually broke (thank goodness I was in a parking lot when the brakes gave out), the sway bar came disconnected while just on some washboard and popped one of the air bags in the back and it just never really drove right. This coupled with a fuel sensor going out which apparently is way to common on the Rams just had me itching for a new rig. The lift was literally the only thing I didn't do myself (with friends) on the Rebel so there was a ton of heart and soul poured into that thing and it was hard to say goodbye.

Picture of outgoing rig:
ROD_4153.JPG

Enter the beast...

2020 Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Why?

So this was a hard decision for me. I knew I wanted to stick with Ram. I love the interior and they have been overall good trucks. That fuel sensor mentioned above is probably the only major work other than mods or mod related I have done on mine and I have owned 2 over the past 10 years or so so I was happy with the reliability and just overall they function. Why the power wagon? Well as you can see from the picture above I had a pretty capable truck and I didn't really want to take a step backwards right off the bat. I also wanted something that I didn't have to modify as much to avoid the problems that I had with the lift. I kicked around a new Ram 2500 with the diesel and just building it out but I ultimately decided not too due to the added expense of getting it to where I wanted it with the lift, winch, bumpers, tires etc. So I felt like the power wagon was the only thing that would be a step forward not a huge step back initially.

I went with the 2500 for a couple of reasons. I recently moved to Texas and if there was ever a place where you can drive around a heavy duty truck and fit in it's totally Texas. I am also a huge ogre at 6'6" and I couldn't go smaller than the 1500 so... 2500 it is!

Build Plans (Updated 7/28/2021)
- (COMPLETED) 35" Tires - I am as shocked as everyone that these power wagons come with 33s.
- (Scrapped - Went with AMP Research Steps) Rock Rails - I will probably go with the White Knuckle Off road ones eventually but I figured I'd break the stock ones first.
- (COMPLETED) RSI Smart Cap w/ Platform Rack - Going to get two full bins to take the place of the ram boxes. I really loved the ram boxes but want to try a topper this time around to keep things more dry and less dusty in the back. The bins seem like a great option and I am excited to get this installed.
- (COMPLETED) Second Battery - Installed with the help of the NHOverland Battery mount. Ran 200AMP capacity to the SmartCap in the back! Loads of options now for accessories and super excited about that project.
- (COMPLETED) Airlift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus - Airbags to keep the damn thing from rocking like a boat down the freeway when fully loaded.
- (COMPLETED) Thuren Track Bar - Also to help with the rocking
- (COMPLETED) Garmin Power Switch - No need to run wires into the cab! Connects to my Garmin overlander and my phone for wireless switch needs. Love this thing and works great
- (COMPLETED) SDHQ A-Piller mounts & Baja Design XL 80 Combo lights

PXL_20201031_211509291.MP.jpg ROD_4400 (1).jpg

ROD_5060.jpeg

ROD_5104.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Thanks me too! I will follow along with yours. I would love to see what you have to go through first to get the 40s on there :)

SGpdx

Rank III

Contributor III

Oregon
Thanks me too! I will follow along with yours. I would love to see what you have to go through first to get the 40s on there :)
Just waiting on AEV bits to land, then she goes under the knife and saw. Sad part is I’ll be playing in Montana snow when the parts land, I was hoping to be built before this trip.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Ahh bummer. Same with my RSI SmartCap I was hoping it got released and then I could put the RTT on the top for a trip to South Padre Island but alas not going to make it in time.

Wagonlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Daymon
Last Name
Keeton
Member #

Nice Power Wagon! I've started my build as well. I'm curious to know which bracket your purchases for the dual battery set-up? I"ve looked and looked and haven't found what I THINK I need to make this happen. Seems like there maybe enough room next to the existing battery, but one or both would have to be turned perpendicular to the fender to make it work. Thats if, what I'm thinking is correct. Would love to know more if you could explain? Thanks and love your choice of color.

Reactions: WilC

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Nice Power Wagon! I've started my build as well. I'm curious to know which bracket your purchases for the dual battery set-up? I"ve looked and looked and haven't found what I THINK I need to make this happen. Seems like there maybe enough room next to the existing battery, but one or both would have to be turned perpendicular to the fender to make it work. Thats if, what I'm thinking is correct. Would love to know more if you could explain? Thanks and love your choice of color.
So... I think I remember from some other thread a long time ago that you can order this: 2020 Ram 2500 Parts - Battery tray - 68350658AC and it comes with both trays. The one on the right and the one on the left. I will take pictures when I install it whenever it gets here and let you know!

Wagonlander

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

North Carolina
First Name
Daymon
Last Name
Keeton
Member #

So... I think I remember from some other thread a long time ago that you can order this: 2020 Ram 2500 Parts - Battery tray - 68350658AC and it comes with both trays. The one on the right and the one on the left. I will take pictures when I install it whenever it gets here and let you know!
Thanks, that would be appreciated. I've looked on the other side and I'm pretty sure I have absolutely no room because of my air box. Maybe since your PW is newer, it's designed differently and the tray will fit on the passenger side. The washer fluid resevoir comes off the fire wall a bit on that side on mine. Which decreases the space I have.
Off topic to another question. I've bought the ARB dual compressor. Been under, on top and all over the truck trying to locate a good mounting area. I'm leaning towards taking the drivers side fender off. Then mounting it where there seems to be enough space. Hopefully it will work. I like having it right next to the battery. Will you be adding a compressor for tire deflate/inflate? Just currious and wanted to hear your idea, if you had one. Thanks again for the response. Looking to forward to sseing your dual battery build.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I scrolled for DAYS to find you this picture :)

MVIMG_20190910_173649.jpg

That is where I ended up putting mine in my Ram 1500. I had to put a right angle fitting on the output then ran it to a tube with a quick disconnect. This allowed me to run the tube out and still keep the quick disconnect. The downside of putting it here is that if you fold the back seats flat and then stack stuff on top it's kind of a pain to get to. Or if you have kids like me to get them to move their feet :). You simply drill through the bottom of the plastic insert and run the cable to the engine bay from there. I would do that again in the 2500 with the exception that I just bought this:

PXL_20201108_165751704.MP.jpg

The reason I went that route is I like the idea of the tank and being able to run power tools. The REAL reason is I am super lazy and my wife has a Lexus GX and I didn't want to install two air compressors :)

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I am planning on putting the battery where that silver thing with the red thingamajigs are but I have no idea what the silver thing and the red thingamajigs are :). Guessing that's the ECU but don't really know my way around this truck yet.

PXL_20201110_020614114.jpg

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'm watching you very nice truck

I ordered mine about 25 minutes ago, but I ordered the clandestine, poor man's version, I ordered a Tradesman and added the PW package to it. Looks like about 6 weeks to get it.

Reactions: Uberland and Roloc

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I'm watching you very nice truck

I ordered mine about 25 minutes ago, but I ordered the clandestine, poor man's version, I ordered a Tradesman and added the PW package to it. Looks like about 6 weeks to get it.
Thanks! No problem with that route at all!

I just moved to Texas from Colorado so this build is going to mirror the hours and hours I have to spend on road to get off road :). I am sure you could go all rock crawler with these but I need to drive 8 hours then crawl some rocks :)

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

In keeping with the modular and non destructive theme I built a platform to mount the fridge to as opposed to drilling in the truck bed as I have done before. It’s basically just some 3/4” plywood wrapped in speaker box carpet. While the ARB elements fridge I had from my last truck is totally water/weather proof this is surely not but while I’m waiting for the cap I had to do something to keep busy :)

2E17FB4C-F499-4742-8167-B51C2A8024E2.jpeg
499F943C-7E57-4B9C-8503-1637EDF14BBF.jpeg

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I’m still waiting for my truck. Already have a SnugTop Rebel on order. Like the portability of that ARB compressor in a case. Did you consider CO2?
What's the ETA on the truck? Can't wait to see it.

I am going to get the RSI Smart Cap with the bins on the side. Been pretty frustrated with their distribution here I have had like $3k deposit down for nearly two months and no one can tell me when the local dealer is actually going to get it in stock and I have a trip coming up next weekend. So it's been pretty frustrating that they said they would have it in November and then just nothing from them. So not off to a great start with RSI but hopefully the product is better than the customer service thus far.

I have considered CO2 but not a lot. I know this is unfair and people are probably going to disagree with me but I don't really like being dependent on places to fill up a tank. This ARB seems to be the best of both worlds and has it's own tank but you can fill it up by using your battery / and gas. This way if I am ever stuck it's because I ran out of gas or my truck just doesn't work :)

John21powerwagon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Miller
Member #

With covid, the dealer says transportation to SoCal is outrageously long. They said it should ship in the next week or so.

Well I’m leaning towards the ARB, even though my best friend swears by his CO2 system. How about extra fuel? I guess the options are on the roof orsome of the very pricey bumper options I’ve seen out there.