First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Yea I really didnt want to hack up the truck haha. I went with SPC
I hear you on hacking up the truck haha. Okay then I'll probably look to do the same when I do upgrade my tires. I plan on doing a differential regearing prior to going up to 285s. Plus I have about 30k+ left on the current Wildpeaks. Thanks for the Info!

tsrhines

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, AR, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rhines
Member #

I had planned on doing gears as well, I honestly dont know that it is necessary. It could just be because im used to how it drives but ive been thousands of miles with these 285s and its not a dramatic difference. Sure i get 15 mpg but i had someone OV tune the truck for $200 and i think thats good enough for now.

tsrhines

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, AR, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rhines
Member #

I had planned on doing gears as well, I honestly dont know that it is necessary. It could just be because im used to how it drives but ive been thousands of miles with these 285s and its not a dramatic difference. Sure i get 15 mpg but i had someone OV tune the truck for $200 and i think thats good enough for now.
I would say before you shell out the cash, drive around first on the tires just to assess

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I would say before you shell out the cash, drive around first on the tires just to assess
okay then I may do that. It would save me a lot of money that can be used elsewhere.

tsrhines

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, AR, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rhines
Member #

okay then I may do that. It would save me a lot of money that can be used elsewhere.
Agreed!

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Added a semi-permanent solar panel to my roof rack. Plugs into my 500 Wh Solar Gen unit. Runs my fridge, drone, tablet and whatever else I am running on that particular trip.

Attachments

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I have a 19 Tacoma . Running an one 2.5/3 lift and 285/75/16s. It's harder to stuff big tires in these than say a Jeep. With control arms and a body mount chop you'll be fine.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Slight change in plans but I think for the better! Going the coil over route now with Icon then adding a leaf in the rear. Then decided to add airbags in the rear (with cradles) so I can level out the truck or help with sag on heavier loads. Then going skinny Falken M/Ts

Attachments

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Two part update.

Lift Update. Thanks to @HoosierT and @MattsTrac for helping me get it done.

Icon Stage 1 kit, Icon AAL & Firestone RideRite Airsprings were all installed.

IMG_0562 (Edited).DNG.jpg
IMG_0564 (Edited).DNG.jpg
IMG_0565 (Edited).DNG.jpgIMG_0566 (Edited).DNG.jpg

Tire Update:
Falken Wildpeak MTs (LT255/85R16)
63267634992__24AD0BDC-7EE8-49D1-BE29-07E77AE16994.fullsizerender.jpeg

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
On-board air with control module has been added. Functional but I need to clean up the hoses and fully mount the quick connect port. Annex room and Awning room has been purchased and tested as well! Fully set for long stays now.

63926792110__9F0FB068-F21F-4EF1-99C3-9E9499954007.fullsizerender.JPEGRenderedImage.JPEG

Reactions: Calicruiser88

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Ahh well not much has happened since this update, but there are plans after this short update! I did put in some more insulation on the bottom of the cab while I was cleaning and drying my carpets.

This was mid installation:
64460941241__5970E5D1-FBB4-429C-8EC0-94BA6D9F9379.fullsizerender.jpeg
At this point I've got Diode Dynamics LED Pod Kit on Order. Will likely install that in the next few weeks. Beyond that a few things that I'm lining up

Next up (Not necessarily in order)
Pod lights and Controller
- 2 Ditch lights - SS3 Combo Amber
- 5 Spot Lights up top - SS3 Spot White (Still cheaper and less wattage than a light bar)
- 2 Chase/Backup on bed rack - SS2 Flood White w/Amber Backlight
- 2-4 Camp lights off the side of the truck (Haven't decided on 1 or 2 per side.)
- Trigger 6 shooter Controller

SPC Upper Control Arm

Ham Mobile (Likely Yaseu FTM-400XDR)

After this (Also not in order - Will come down to when I need to replace my WildPeaks)

New Tires & Wheels (295/70R17) - More Options in this size unfortunately otherwise I'd stick with Skinny Size at 33"
at same time CMC if needed (most likely will need it)

Hybrid Bumper & Winch

Sliders

Last edited:

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Update

I've pushed back the HAM install as I won't be in any trips needing it for some time. So instead I'm moving the electrical project part 1 up in the timeline.

Targeting the 31st for all of the following.

• Genesis Offroad Dual Battery system install - Odyssey Group 34 AGM Extreme x 2
  • Trigger Six Shooter Controller
  • Always hot interior 12 v plug for Fridge in the rear of cab
  • Diode SS3 Amber Combo Ditch Lights (Assuming they make in on time)
  • PWM Charge Controller wired only to Aux Battery (This will be an as needed use, I'll have quick disconnects to the solar panel so i can just plug it in when I know I'll be stopped for more than a day. This is why i went with a PWM vs a MPPT controller. Otherwise the engine will be charging the Aux battery when moving)
  • Bed dual 12v plugs always hot (One 12v standard and one Dual USB (USB-C PD & USB QC 3.0))
Mid August will bring some more lights
  • 2x Diode Dynamics SS2 Flood lights with Amber Backlight for camp use
Part 2 will be the following (ETA TBD)
  • 2x Diode Dynamics SS2 Flood lights with Amber Backlight for Chase and Backup lights (Doubles as rear camp lights)
  • 2x more camp lights possibly if needed (probably not lol)
  • Custom Light Bar with 6 Diode SS3 White Spot lenses (Potentially will swtich to driving if beam is not wide enough)
  • FTM-400 XDR (ETA: Before December but priority will depend on when needed)

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Dual Batteries have been installed on what seems like the hottest day I could have picked for SW Ohio :tearsofjoy:

Drilled and inserted Well Nuts then installed new Tray

IMG_1055.jpg

Shimmied the Group 34 Odyssey batteries in

IMG_1056.jpg

And installed the smart solenoid harness

IMG_1057.jpg

Did a quick trip to the store for refreshments to test everything. Success!

I also was able to tune the ECU to Allow more voltage to the AGM batteries. At an ambient air temp of 85-90F/29-32C sitting at 14.2v out of the alternator.

So what's next? Well I do have my Trigger controller that arrived but no lights to connect to it so here's hoping those ship this week. I did get the PWM controller early as well as all the wiring and connectors I will need for them. I just need to pick up an anderson crimper. Then obviously I want to add the 12v plug in the rear of the cab as well still but gonna need an extra hand for running through the firewall. I may drill a new hole as well as the stock grommets are starting to get full. So still plenty to do the next week or so!

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Fridge plug has been wired in the back! I just ran the wire out the rear of the cab then down the frame to the Aux battery.

64945334209__C25F06F7-A713-4AE9-8B36-B54113CBD9F7.fullsizerender.JPEGIMG_1066.JPEGIMG_1068.JPEGIMG_1069.JPEGIMG_1071.JPEG

And Ditch lights have been added. Although currently they are setup as additional down trail lights until I can get the LED pods and Hardware for my DIY Pod Bar.
IMG_1072.JPEG

Reactions: Sockmonkey