Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I just like finding people with the same questions that I have about anything and be able to give a little advice whenever it is in my realm of expertise as well as learn from people more experienced than me.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Getting out from under the...RAT RACE...., camping, exploring, getting to see new places or going to see areas you always wqnted to see. Trying new gear, companionship with those who share your passion also, makes for rich and memorable memories. So getting out of town is always a goal, when you can. I'm sure everyone has a memory of a place where they felt totally at peace, and wanted to hold it forever. As you get older, these become more appreciated in your life.

One of my important ones, was with my father, before dawn, waiting in the foothills of the Ruby Mountains (Nevada) on the Eastern slopes watching the dawn approach. Below in the dark, you could hear the cattle on the ranch, the coyotes howling, and the ranch houses getting ready for another day.
Just a few years before he was no longer capable of such trips.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Because i don't want to create an account over at ExpeditionPortal and i'm already too deep here? LOL

In all seriousness, i enjoy the community and comradere here. It's way more enoyable that everyone here is encouraging of others. Even if its not a Toyota, Jeep Land Rover etc. Seems like more "normal" folks too.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

I like it because the people are nice. Let's be honest, the vast majority of us are weekend warriors who like gadgets, and like tinkering with our rigs because that gets us more stoked for the next family trip. Most of us aren't going on 3 month long expeditions or around the world travel. And that's ok. I like the atmosphere on this forum that whatever you want to do is 'ok'.

I tried Expedition Portal a few years back and I found that environment simply toxic. So unpleasant to try and have any sort of discourse there.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I came here because @Jeepsies were members and when I started down the road of fulltiming in an RV, they were already doing it (RVWanderlust on Wordpress) when they got their Jeep and started their travels and talking about Overland Bound, I started looking here for ideas and inspiration. When I finally became a forum user, @Jedi the previous Director for the northwest gave me a warm welcome and encouraged me to to share my previous builds and knowledge. My posts were received better than anticipated. I learned a lot, and realized I had lots to share.

I took a leadership role to help those with less experience get the same kind of guidance I did when I was starting out nearly 22 years a go.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
It's the general lack of pretension. That may seem like such a small thing, but its getting difficult to find. Equal parts encouragement and straight up information. What's not to appreciate?
I like it because the people are nice. Let's be honest, the vast majority of us are weekend warriors who like gadgets, and like tinkering with our rigs because that gets us more stoked for the next family trip. Most of us aren't going on 3 month long expeditions or around the world travel. And that's ok. I like the atmosphere on this forum that whatever you want to do is 'ok'.

I tried Expedition Portal a few years back and I found that environment simply toxic. So unpleasant to try and have any sort of discourse there.
Same, this is a pretty chill group and people generally are less "uptight" over how one camps, cooks, navigates, drives, builds their car or truck. Nice chill vibe. :D

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
More weekend warrior over here which is good.

The other forum is: " We just retired from selling chinese girls into slavery in the US, and now we're going to travel around the whole world in a $400,000 custom rig. Like and subscribe to our youtube vids please.''

Reactions: Maverick9110E

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
To get ideas on places to go and explore. To further enhance those ideas with gadgets, technologies, and DIYs and ways to make my rig more capable, whether it can make it or not lol. Plus my rig build was leaning towards OB anyway, at least in my head.

Reactions: JimG92

Contributor I

Rockhampton QLD, Australia
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Macca
Member #

I like seeing other peoples overlanding vehicles, camp spots (man, you americans have some sweet camping places) and its a way to escape my reality when I cant get away due to work.

Although I'm only new, I feel the vibes here are really friendly and I haven't seen anyone putdown anyone else and it feels like a 'family style' atmosphere :blush:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Although I'm only new, I feel the vibes here are really friendly and I haven't seen anyone putdown anyone else and it feels like a 'family style' atmosphere :blush:
Welcome to OB.
We strive to live toward the founding principles, and keep the place family friendly. I just took my 15 year old daughter in her first OB trip (not first Overlanding trip) last weekend. Her thoughts on the trip home was “Dad! Your FRIENDS are Cool!”. And that is the way we strive to keep this community both on the forums and out on the trails.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Mostly I like how few categories there are. Most forums get way to specific and you surf forever to find new ideas or places to go. And activities seem more important than gear. Love the cooking threads. Navigation, AND LAND USE, likrly the most inportant overlanding topic.

Much prefer the vehicle threads BIG rigs, Trailers, Builds and 2WD. Over a forum for Wranglers, another for Broncos, one specifically for Tacos, another for FourRunners. There are full dedicated forums if all you want to talk about are Samuris. I'm glad this forum is focusing on the actual activity of overlanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimG92

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I found OB while researching for places to go locally. I hadn’t been on forums in over 10 years due to the childish behavior you typically see in them. I stalked around for awhile, then joined the forum, asked my question, and got honest, polite answers. After that, I decided it was a place worth staying around. I became an actual OB member not long after, as I feel it’s the least I can do to support this great community.

I also really like that it’s not vehicle specific. We all talk trash here and there, but it’s one thing to give your buddy a hard time. It’s another to truly talk down on someone for vehicle choice. We all have our own preferences, and budgets.

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner