Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

I like it because the people are nice. Let's be honest, the vast majority of us are weekend warriors who like gadgets, and like tinkering with our rigs because that gets us more stoked for the next family trip. Most of us aren't going on 3 month long expeditions or around the world travel. And that's ok. I like the atmosphere on this forum that whatever you want to do is 'ok'.

I tried Expedition Portal a few years back and I found that environment simply toxic. So unpleasant to try and have any sort of discourse there.
Couldn't agree more with you - this site is one of the friendliest I've ever seen - we all seem to be in it for the love of our vehicles, the love of travel and exploring (either local or further afield) as well as connecting with like-minded souls. It just doesn't seem to matter what vehicle you have or what gear you have (or don't have) - every time I log on, I get fresh ideas, inspiration and a real sense of camaraderie - I just love it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I found OB while researching for places to go locally. I hadn’t been on forums in over 10 years due to the childish behavior you typically see in them. I stalked around for awhile, then joined the forum, asked my question, and got honest, polite answers. After that, I decided it was a place worth staying around. I became an actual OB member not long after, as I feel it’s the least I can do to support this great community.

I also really like that it’s not vehicle specific. We all talk trash here and there, but it’s one thing to give your buddy a hard time. It’s another to truly talk down on someone for vehicle choice. We all have our own preferences, and budgets.
Vehicle Trash Talk Amongst Friends:
My friends and I drive different breeds of rigs, One guy is die hard Ford guy, another owns several Chevy Trucks, one guy drives a Jeep Wrangler, wile one guy has a pretty nice second gen Ram. We all get a long quite well until Brands get involved. Then it’s one huge trash talk... you should hear us on the air as we convoy through the trails...
Any way last night my budy that drives a Chevy was giving me heck about my Bronco... told me it lived up to its Brand (Found On Road Dead)... The next hour it was a banter between brand loyalties... I have owned most major brands of rigs, and am not loyal to a single brand, although I have owned an equal amount of “Jeep” and Fords... (I quote Jeep because I have owned the Fiat, Delimar/Chrysler, AMC, Willys, Willys/Kaizer, Kaizer, and Ford Jeeps.) I find the banter to be fun because to me it’s nothing personal and each manufacturer has something that I like and they all do the same thing (provide transportation).
So next time some one slams your ride, just remember their ride has vulnerabilities as well and slam their ride back... but do it in fun.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I found OB while researching for places to go locally. I hadn’t been on forums in over 10 years due to the childish behavior you typically see in them. I stalked around for awhile, then joined the forum, asked my question, and got honest, polite answers. After that, I decided it was a place worth staying around. I became an actual OB member not long after, as I feel it’s the least I can do to support this great community.

I also really like that it’s not vehicle specific. We all talk trash here and there, but it’s one thing to give your buddy a hard time. It’s another to truly talk down on someone for vehicle choice. We all have our own preferences, and budgets.
==================================================================================================================

So true. I also was attracted to the OB forum for just the reason you posted. It is very refreshing when this forum is compared to so many others. We have a great monitor group, and group members.....who rarely have to post any reminders of CIVILITY! In the 2 1/2 years I have been here, only 1 person totally seemed to fall in the category we dislike, and I do believe he "self".... quarantined himself:grinning: off this forum afterward, and that was for a person's vehicle choice if I remember correctly (fanboy).

I have used information gleaned from other members, to up-fit gear, that I had neglected to have, and gotten new ideas on other stuff both commercial, AND....FYI-DIY:hearteyes:

PS:
I lurked for months before I joined, just to see if it was something that was interesting and knowledge I could use..
PS-2:
Things like.............comm's, air compressor, tire patch kit, recovery boards, straps-either tow or kinetic, winch choices*, radio antennas, Hi-Lyft jack accessories, tire choices, and why they were preferred over other brands for our rigs(separate from brand loyalties from manufacturers websites etc.

Here's something trivial, but important, and that is, applying a small 'tape' strip around the 12:00 position on your steering wheel. A unobtrusive but important recovery application when your in slick situations and your sawing back and forth trying to get traction, and you lose where your tires are orientated, and if cocked too far in a direction, and traction suddenly happens, oops there goes a front U-Joint or axle part. SOMETHING I LEARNED ON THIS WEB-SIGHT, AND HAD NEVER GIVEN MUCH THOUGHT TOO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakes355

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yeah, i'll have to agree that this site is EXTREMELY civil and pleasant to be on, especially considering the amount of members. first off, there is great leadership on here that has set the stage initially and then a lot of good, like-minded members to continue keeping things going in the right direction. its pretty straight laced on here, but also slack enough for a few political jokes and what not ever so often to keep things fun and open without degrading into total chaos. after seeing a lot of other forums and how they are, its pretty obvious that OB has had a lot of serious work put into it and didn't happen by accident...

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

It's the only forum where I (who currently own and drive a lowered hatchback) still feel just as welcome as the day I joined a few years ago, yes I will buy a 4x4 at some point, but right now I can't afford one due to high gas/diesel prices (fuel is something like $7 a gallon over here in Norway)

Swiss Overlander

Rank II

Enthusiast I

switzerland
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
pozzo
Member #

It's the only forum where I (who currently own and drive a lowered hatchback) still feel just as welcome as the day I joined a few years ago, yes I will buy a 4x4 at some point, but right now I can't afford one due to high gas/diesel prices (fuel is something like $7 a gallon over here in Norway)
Gas prices are really high in Europe and emissions standards are higher too in Europe compared to the US

Reactions: JimG92

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

1. I like the color scheme, layout and format of the forum.
2. I like the fact that they have merchandise for sale.
3. I like the metal emblem they offer (instead of just a sticker).
4. I like the fact that they also make videos and are actively out there not just talkers.
5. And finally I like the member counter, it shows a type of solidarity and belonging.

Reactions: Joey83

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It is a very nice and friendly interaction here. Newcomers are welcomed in a friendly manner. Information, tips and tricks are gladly shared and not held back. I also like the spirit that it just doesn't matter which car you drive, which things you own, etc. It is all about getting out, have nice experiences and share this with other members! That´s why I like to be part of this great community and I am happy to share here my experiences of over twenty years of intensive overlanding as well as learn something new!

Reactions: Joey83

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
For me, it's hands down the people. I found the community helpful, insightful, and just plain nice. I was pretty active on here for a little over a year before getting a membership.

I've made some great friends along the way as well, so that helps.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Gas prices are really high in Europe and emissions standards are higher too in Europe compared to the US
And yet, you would think vehicles from Europe would just slide in under our emissions regulations, we being less stringent. I believe it still takes about 2 years of data for the EPA to approve imports on certain drive-trains. I did many years of prototype vehicle testing......Range Rover gas and diesels, Jaguar gas and diesels, the same for Mercedes, Toyota, KIA, Lexus, and some Infinity cars, along with some military vehicles on durability testing here in Southern Nevada up armored and a Indian export model (right hand drive) thru the BLM (original meaning-'bureau of land mtg') We also tested the early DEF systems, and the early 'start-stop' emission control vehicles. The big change was the size batteries needed. From a small class group size to full size truck size like the 60-70 big blocks used.

Everyday, 2 shifts, with daily downloads, and weekly engineering review on any issue that came up. Some passed with little to no problem, while others had both hardware and software problems. Being out West we did summer heat...Vegas, Death Valley, where as winter testing was up in the Minnesota area.

Sorry for the side track, I already put in my reasons in a earlier post.