Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I had a 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71. I absolutely loved it. I have a jeep now and I would hate to think that I would have to take that large truck out on some of the trails that I do. My Jeep can get into much tighter locations. I can go very remote which is the way I like it
This is why I love taking my full size rig out there! Everyone says dont do it, so of course I love taking my truck out on trails

Reactions: ASRussell

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
This is the setup I want on my 2011 Silverado. What topper is that ? Which Yakima rack it that ? It looks comfy and cozy in there !

ARE Z Series I think....I'll double check that.

The mattress I made custom (I've done it for a few others too) but basically it is 4" memory foam inside a giant envelope made from 90D ripstop nylon that is breathable but treated for water and dirt resistance - I got the fabric from www.ripstopbytheroll.com

It is Yakima rails (Aeros) and a Rolle basket on top...so far I like both but I'd recommend the ARE rack system after all my experience....it installs directly on the rails and is lower overall height.

With the Decked System, I can put stuff I need at night in the cubby holes at the corners, plus hang stuff if I need it. I am currently playing with velcro-backed organizers but I have some work to do on that.

And it is very cozy...now keep in mind that is a shortbed. I am 5 9 so it's not an issue, but just barely. Keeping the side windows open has been enough to keep it cool in 95 degree Houston weather. Snow is not something I have to worry about.

One other issue is spare tire management. I am playing with a DYI drop-down spare carrier right now, just need to find a place that will run a quick weld for me here in Houston. I'll publish the details on it, but basically it takes two different e-trailer parts. A little cutting and two welds and you have a rear-hitch mounted spare carrier that folds down. Cheap too. Pics to come soon.

Happy to answer any other questions...

Last edited:

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

I refuse to let this thread go gently into the good night, lol.

Anyone running AFM/DFM disablers on their Silverados? I'm curious as to what the consensus is amongst the Overland community.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Yup. I'm running the Diablo AFM delete, along with the reprogramming for the 35" tires. Thus far, it's been flawless.

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

I have super chips tun with that deactivated, 91 octane tune for 33s. I love it. Much better fuel economy heres a recent pic of my rig

Attachments

Reactions: Nivar3

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

That's a legit setup! Just got my first RTT from roofnest; got damaged in the shipping, unfortunately, but it was just the bottom side.

Anywho - I've been looking at the Range DFM disabler for my 2019 Silverado. It already has 30,000+ miles on it - was just wondering if it would be worth the buy.

Was it hard doing the reprograming yourself?

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

The programming is quite easy. But, as with most programmers, it is married to the vehicle. So, if you buy a used one you need to ensure the previous owner knows what they are doing and knows how to divorce the tuner from the previous vehicle. Then, you have to also purchase a GM connect (or something like that, to get the Diablo connected to the computer) in order to program the truck. I was fortunate in that I was able to get my used for a good deal, and then I got it programmed with no issues.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I refuse to let this thread go gently into the good night, lol.

Anyone running AFM/DFM disablers on their Silverados? I'm curious as to what the consensus is amongst the Overland community.
I’ve got a Range AFM disabler. It works very nice. I may get another for the other twin.

Reactions: RoarinRow

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I can turn off the AFM with my hypertech tuner

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

Does anyone have a roof top tent on the top of there cab? I have no roof rails and the cross bars im finding are only rated for about 165lbs. So im thinking of going with this bracket kit. (Link below) and welding up my own rail box to attach the tent to. These brackets are rated at about 350lbs. But with my bar box and some extra bracing inside the roof i think it will be enough for my tent and two people.

If any of you have experience with a tent mounted to a bare roof truck let me know what you did and pictures help to thanks guys

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Does anyone have a roof top tent on the top of there cab? I have no roof rails and the cross bars im finding are only rated for about 165lbs. So im thinking of going with this bracket kit. (Link below) and welding up my own rail box to attach the tent to. These brackets are rated at about 350lbs. But with my bar box and some extra bracing inside the roof i think it will be enough for my tent and two people.

If any of you have experience with a tent mounted to a bare roof truck let me know what you did and pictures help to thanks guys

I haven't put a RTT over my cab, but I did installed a Yakima roof rack system that did not require drilling. It clamps to the roof over the doors.

AC8924CE-2771-4F2A-8686-2A3FE19818C0.jpeg

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

I haven't put a RTT over my cab, but I did installed a Yakima roof rack system that did not require drilling. It clamps to the roof over the doors.

View attachment 177015

I cant find any like that that hold more than 165lbs between the two bars. The tent is 118lbs alone

Nivar3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Nivardo
Last Name
Beaton
Member #

Awesome truck!!!

I joined this forum specifically in search for more information on outfitting my 2017 Silverado Z71. It is definitely slim pickings when researching Silverado and Overlanding in the same sentence. There is a lot of aftermarket support for other aspects of offroading with the Silverado...but not for overlanding.

I get that full size rigs are harder to get through certain trails...but to your point, that applies to all full size rigs...not just the Silverado.

Can‘t wait to move forward with the next steps in building my rig...here’s a current pic with very ltitle in the way of mods...
B2C5D77A-C2C8-43BE-A6DA-7C34A082D2A8.jpegE9CAC93A-8178-428A-BF88-D8CB1A6E66FF.jpeg

ragnar71

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fremont, Nebraska, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD and a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500. Prepping the Avalanche now and it has been a lot of work. Main issue is general repairs due to age (to make dependable for backroads travel) and a lack of affordable aftermarket parts. Doing my own fab work and wrenching. Getting ideas for the Silverado, will pull off the box and add a flatbed with removable canopy. Planning for overlanding, not hardcore 4wd trails so both should work fine. Grew up with 4wds around farming, overlanding is a different animal.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

View attachment 177015
I have to say, I'm a big fan of a nice rack, Roarin'. I have an old Trac Rack Cap Rac on my Leer truck cap and I like it a lot. Doesnt really make any noise either. Trac Rac was previously a Massachusetts company but was bought out by Thule a few years back. But I would like to know what model Yakima rack you have over your cab doors. That sounds like a great addition if theres no drilling

cary holt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Holt
Member #

Here's a few more of my rig on my 10 day trip. Everything overland related I've custom built my self. Full slide out kitchen and roof rack set up that can be tilted to tuck an atv underneath when the softopper is down.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have to say, I'm a big fan of a nice rack, Roarin'. I have an old Trac Rack Cap Rac on my Leer truck cap and I like it a lot. Doesnt really make any noise either. Trac Rac was previously a Massachusetts company but was bought out by Thule a few years back. But I would like to know what model Yakima rack you have over your cab doors. That sounds like a great addition if theres no drilling
Thanks Andrew! I haven't heard of Trac Rack before. There've been a lot of manufactures out there since I first had my Yakima racks on different vehicles. I am using the Yakima Q Towers rack system on my rig. The style / model of Q components will depend on make and model. For my 02 it required the Q-109 clips, on Q-Towers with 58" round cross bars, most of which I got from Amazon, other accessories I got locally.

ragnar71

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Fremont, Nebraska, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Here is the Avalanche. Taking advantage of a rusty front fender to add a snorkel. Other rust repair in the works. The salt on the winter roads in Nebraska is terrible so did not feel a winch would survive long without lots of maintenance. Added receivers front and rear for a removable winch.

Attachments