Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
OK, have a few questions folks:

First, my usage is down here in Texas, at least for now. Wide open, sand, lots of on-beach driving and desert trips. Not a lot of rocks.
This is also my daily driver and other than the add-a-leaf, I've done nothing to the suspension or front/rear bumpers.

First question, I'd like to do a small lift...SMALL, not 10" so don't go there. Also see no reason to consider these cheap body lifts that simply use spacers.
Is there a small lift that could help me a little with my angles and is it worth doing?

Second question, bumpers. I'd really rather not replace them yet...it's a 2018! But I do a lot of solo travel and would prefer to have a winch on board. Also, the departure and recovery angles are not the best....how much better can new bumpers make it?
I'm also concerned about weight....I have a 5.3L V8 that's chipped but with the ARE cap and the decked system and gear, I'd rather not throw another 500 pounds of front/rear bumper in there.

I'll post some rig pics very soon, getting the camera out now!
Pics would be nice. Wish I could help with ideas but mine is a 2002.

Mr.RoadWarrior

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Houston, Texas
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Rosner
OK, finally, pics of my rig. Sorry, didn't have time for a picturesque background.

2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crewcab Shortbed, 4WD, 5.3L v8 w/ G80 locker, stock coilovers in the front.
Add-a-leaf
Onboard Viair 455C
Battery isolator and second battery
Chipped by Black Bear Performance
Rigids on pods up front, lowpros in the back
Decked Drawer system and LED inside the ARE cap w/ 12v in the back, sliding screened windows
Check out my custom bed of 4" memory foam
Back seat under seat safe
Cheap 12v cooler usually goes in the back

Current projects:
Custom fold-down full size spare carrier (ugh, I don't have a welder)
Considering a roof rack for simple light stuff like my MaxxTraxx
Considering a small lift.

No, I probably won't ditch the 20's for now...I upgraded to tires to a higher profile and better AT capability.

20200728_132633.jpg20200728_132643.jpg20200728_132657 (2).jpg20200728_132816.jpg20200728_132825.jpg20200728_133357.jpg20200728_134017.jpg20200728_134113.jpg20200728_134214.jpg

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

Sold my '98 Silverado last January, but I've never lost my fondness for them. Should have fixed it up and kept it as my overland rig, but I got worried about the age and what might go wrong next...
Now I have a '08 Wrangler for overlanding, and a 2017 Tacoma (2wd) for daily use and hauling stuff around. Sure miss that 5.2l, V8!

Zaya2312

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Isaiah
Last Name
Herrera
Member #

Hey everyone been looking through the site for fullsize/Silverado forums and this seems to be a good thread, I drive a 2018 silverado with a 2.5 in lift in the front and some 33s. I have yet to let down or felt handicapped by driving a full size rig, the only thing that hurts is as everyone has already said, aftermarket support. Was wondering if anyone on here has found decent rock slider options or is everyone just fabricating their own stuff?20200808_123513.jpg

flkeysmock

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Joshua Tree, Ca.
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Mock
Member #

I've got a 2018, 2500HD and I know what you mean. Finding offroad/overlanding parts and accessories is a challenge. If you find a supplier send the info. my way.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
OK, finally, pics of my rig. Sorry, didn't have time for a picturesque background.

2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crewcab Shortbed, 4WD, 5.3L v8 w/ G80 locker, stock coilovers in the front.
Add-a-leaf
Onboard Viair 455C
Battery isolator and second battery
Chipped by Black Bear Performance
Rigids on pods up front, lowpros in the back
Decked Drawer system and LED inside the ARE cap w/ 12v in the back, sliding screened windows
Check out my custom bed of 4" memory foam
Back seat under seat safe
Cheap 12v cooler usually goes in the back

Current projects:
Custom fold-down full size spare carrier (ugh, I don't have a welder)
Considering a roof rack for simple light stuff like my MaxxTraxx
Considering a small lift.

No, I probably won't ditch the 20's for now...I upgraded to tires to a higher profile and better AT capability.

View attachment 164809View attachment 164810View attachment 164811View attachment 164812View attachment 164813View attachment 164814View attachment 164815View attachment 164816View attachment 164817
She's looking good and good mods!

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

The biggest problem I’ve had with my Full-size when they do get stuck its not like pulling out a Toyota or a Jeep
As far as bumpers and such built my own Sliders are on the list to build

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I don't know. Probably, if I pay somebody to really spend a LOT of time with the buffing wheel.....mehh.... battle scars.... maybe I should buff it...

You could probably get most of it out my hand? Those stripes towards the back looks like it will need more TLC.

romeroad

Rank I

Contributor III

Austin, TX
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Romero
Another Silverado owner here. Some great ideas on this post, the internet has been little value on aftermarket parts. I’m just starting to upgrade, it will be a slow process and nothing extreme. Keep the ideas coming. View attachment 156548View attachment 156550View attachment 156555
Hey I just stumbled onto this thread. Saw your truck and remembered this video I saw on YT. Pretty dope simple mods. Maybe down your alley of what you want to do. I've got a 2018 Z71 but so hard to find good aftermarket overlanding stuff for. But I see 2019 - up may have a better chance.

Reactions: dp454so

DawnChere

Rank I

Contributor III

Vernonia Oregon
First Name
DawnChere
Last Name
Moss
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7HHI
Hi guys.

Random thought...but as I consider more overlanding equipement investments into my 2016 Silverado...I wonder why the universe of Silverado's being used in this capacity is so small? I've had a few trips in mine now and there are a few things that come to mind, in terms of limitations:

1. Size. Pretty sure only the Power Wagon or other larger 3/4 ton trucks are larger than my rig. Pretty sure there's alot of trails I'll never be able to do simply because I can't fit. But...this is a full size overland vehicle issue and not just a Silverado problem.
2. Turning radius. Sorta hand in hand with the first point...my ability to turn, say on a switchback, seems pretty limited.
3. 4X4 performance. Not sure this is much of an issue...my rig has never had an issue, but I lack front lockers or even the ability to lock my rear diff on command. The G80 is fine if you understand how it works, but I'd think that e-lockers will always be preferred. But...I haven't found anything my truck can't go through, so perhaps this is another issue that's more theoretical than reality. I did learn how much it sucks to not have a disconnecting sway bar since I broke mine on a recent trip to Big Bend. +1 Power Wagon.
4. Chevy reliability. The 5.3L V8 that's in mine will probably outlast us all. The rest of the truck? Well...it's not Toyota.
5. Approach/Departure angles. No issue so far...was able to do anything I needed to in Big Bend including the 'Shelf' section on Black Gap Road in the NP. But...that's one trail. Not sure how I'd fare in more boulder-ridden trails out west.
6. Lack of aftermarket support. It's no Toyota...but I think I've been able to get most everything I need or want.
7. The wheel wells. They're square. Tires are round. Thus...to properly fit my 35" KO2's I have to have a truck on a 6" lift. Impacts both visibility AND mpg.
8. Perception. This could be the main thing...there's not kick ass Overlanding series where the guys tool around in Chevy's...pretty much every single one is one giant Toyota commercial (effective ones at that). So perhaps this is more my perception than reality.

OK...so that's alot but what I've considered. I'm curious what the community thinks. Honestly thinks...so have at it and don't worry about hurting feelings. I am really hoping to make an educated decision on how to proceed and getting some brutally honest, outside perspective will be a huge help! Here's a photo of 'Black Betty' on her lastest adventure, to Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas.

We have the same problem with our diesel Dodge Ram we took it to a rally a few years back and it did really well in their obstacle course. Learned even more about our truck. But it seems like everyone else has a Toyota or a Jeep. My husband wants to do some over landing trips but we are older and feel like we haven’t much in common with everyone around here.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

The biggest problem I’ve had with my Full-size when they do get stuck its not like pulling out a Toyota or a Jeep
As far as bumpers and such built my own Sliders are on the list to build
Bumpers ive only found a few i like but sliders are a build item, i too have plans in the future to build some. I found out today that rough country makes a hidden winch mount for my truck and thats next on my list!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
We have the same problem with our diesel Dodge Ram we took it to a rally a few years back and it did really well in their obstacle course. Learned even more about our truck. But it seems like everyone else has a Toyota or a Jeep. My husband wants to do some over landing trips but we are older and feel like we haven’t much in common with everyone around here.
@M Rose is in your neck of the woods. He has an old school bronco.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose is in your neck of the woods. He has an old school bronco.
I actually also have a 2000 Ram with the 5.9 gas engine that I overlanded a crossed the us for nearly a decade before getting the Bronco... I know several guys in my neck of the woods have Rams on the trails all the time as well... @PNW EXPLR and @MrWilsonWJ are two right off my head that do.... although Mike’s is his primary and Dustin’s is his secondary.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You would also find that you have a lot more in common with a lot of us than you think... In OB land it’s the adventure, not the ride.
I see so many people get in here with gear envy... I started out in 1995 with a 1981 Ford Courier 2wd lowered mini truck... I went 80% of the places Jeeps would go, and about 85% of the places I currently run in my Bronco. I run the same trails in my Bronco that I did with my Ram.
Bottom line, drive what you have, use the gear you already own, and get out there and explore...

Tomorrow I’m heading to Snoqualmie for a 3 day trip mostly solo in my Wife’s stock 4Runner. Yes it’s a Toyota, and I really would weather be taking a full-size... but it needs a couple more shake down runs so @KRose knows what she want to do to make it hers... not gear envy, but to actually put her personal touches for her style of driving. Each person is different.

Last edited: