Why are there so few Silverado overland rigs?

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

To be fair the old-school you posted is lifted, not stock (and it's gorgeous!).

-TJ
True, its lifted. But even seeing old advertisements for those things, you could see they were well up off the ground stock. Today's have a veritable cow catcher on them. A little snow plow without a snow plow, for the 1 or two inches of snow that's annoying yet barely enough to shovel. They scrape parking lot curb ends. I just dont understand.

I'm not sure, but I feel as though the Trail Boss is what a simple z71 used to be in the 1990's.

Anyway, I'm doing some mild adjustments to mine like the Bilstein 5100's, topsetting, looking for mild to medium AT tires, no MT's for me. And the removal of the front bumper chin strap. That's truckish enough for me to start with

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It started downhill when buyers started turning functional trucks into carpeted, leather wrapped, infotainment packed grocery getters.

this is why I love my twin PPVs. The U is large in utility.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

It started downhill when buyers started turning functional trucks into carpeted, leather wrapped, infotainment packed grocery getters.

this is why I love my twin PPVs. The U is large in utility.
Now, I dont mind a nice leather-wrapped steering wheel. Hell, I still seek out and install those perforated fake leather DIY wrap and thread steering wheel covers that came out in the 70's on everything I drive. Saves wear and tear on the steering wheel anyway.

I dont even mind carpeted. That's good as sound deadened at least, and doesnt necessarily look bad.

Where I draw the line is a 4x4 leaning down in front like an old 2 wheel drive, with the air dam twice as long as it was in the 90's. I guess that's helpful if you are towing on highways all the time, or if you load up the back with sand, gravel, chopped wood or whatever and it all evens out.

Maybe my thoughts of trucks really is just old-fashioned.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a better year this year with more time outside. My nephews October 2020 wedding in Montana has been moved to May, so I'm gearing up to take my 2 weeks then, and take a nice road/ offroad trip out there and back, with the wedding right in the middle

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Now, I dont mind a nice leather-wrapped steering wheel. Hell, I still seek out and install those perforated fake leather DIY wrap and thread steering wheel covers that came out in the 70's on everything I drive. Saves wear and tear on the steering wheel anyway.

I dont even mind carpeted. That's good as sound deadened at least, and doesnt necessarily look bad.

Where I draw the line is a 4x4 leaning down in front like an old 2 wheel drive, with the air dam twice as long as it was in the 90's. I guess that's helpful if you are towing on highways all the time, or if you load up the back with sand, gravel, chopped wood or whatever and it all evens out.

Maybe my thoughts of trucks really is just old-fashioned.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a better year this year with more time outside. My nephews October 2020 wedding in Montana has been moved to May, so I'm gearing up to take my 2 weeks then, and take a nice road/ offroad trip out there and back, with the wedding right in the middle
I have one of those wheel wraps! LOL. And cloth seats, and rubber floors. I don't worry if some mud clings to my feet getting in.

Montana ought to be fun, I've never been. I have been to Wyoming several times, the last with thecopcar.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Speaking of the wussification of modern GM SUVs, check out this video of the 2021 Tahoe Z71 getting stuck (at 7:00) in front of a Prius (the Prius is seen about a minute earlier):

7:00 pretty pathetic!
GM can't be bothered to put the good 'ol G80 into their new mall crawlers

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I cant argue, I got a fully wrapped interior but i have to say the long pavement trips to get to our next trail is fairly nice and i cant complain and it still gets over the rocks in the road.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Speaking of the wussification of modern GM SUVs, check out this video of the 2021 Tahoe Z71 getting stuck (at 7:00) in front of a Prius (the Prius is seen about a minute earlier):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The G-80 feature should be automatically included in a Z-71 trim level. I did like the metal undercarriage skid protection, shown in the video. That also should be a definate included upgrade for any off-road trim vehicle. Something my 2003 Silverado lacks, and the plastic fuel tank should have, but was never offered. My era of the Silverado has a oil pan/transfer case skid, and GM in their infinite wisdom called that good. NOPE.....the 2 areas that are lacking is the area behind the front bumper (inter cooler area-see pic) where they have a plastic splash shield that if hit by a rock, will shatter, and also the transmission area which has no shielding at all. The external filter (Allison) is just waiting to be hit by a rock. Seen it happen on a military hummer no less. What a mess, and clean-up on the trail (BLM) .

Attachments

Reactions: SquishBang

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB

The IRS on the 21+ has turned me off the new ones. The solid rear axle tahoes/burbs still work well with some work, but GM fullsize IRS isn't great, It looses a LOT of ground clearance, same with the Fords. In comparason the IRS on the full size Toyotas and Nissans at least works off road.

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The G-80 feature should be automatically included in a Z-71 trim level. I did like the metal undercarriage skid protection, shown in the video. That also should be a definate included upgrade for any off-road trim vehicle. Something my 2003 Silverado lacks, and the plastic fuel tank should have, but was never offered. My era of the Silverado has a oil pan/transfer case skid, and GM in their infinite wisdom called that good. NOPE.....the 2 areas that are lacking is the area behind the front bumper (inter cooler area-see pic) where they have a plastic splash shield that if hit by a rock, will shatter, and also the transmission area which has no shielding at all. The external filter (Allison) is just waiting to be hit by a rock. Seen it happen on a military hummer no less. What a mess, and clean-up on the trail (BLM) .
We've been making skidplates for our 03 Sierra, one of the first trips in ours caused the death of the front plastic splash shield. Oil pan and transmission skids are next, at least based on what we've hit in the truck so far. Its been good welding practice to say the least!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
We've been making skidplates for our 03 Sierra, one of the first trips in ours caused the death of the front plastic splash shield. Oil pan and transmission skids are next, at least based on what we've hit in the truck so far. Its been good welding practice to say the least!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, I'm intrigued, and on the hook. The only splash shield metal replacements I ever found were offered by lift companies with propitiatory replacements that only fit their designed suspension lifts. The inter-cooler area is a major concern if you run in heavy brush areas, and poking a stick in that unprotected area, will cause some serious grief. I have seen a few homemade transmission shields which addressed the external fluid filter, but no real attachment points used for mounting to the frame. AKA, incomplete modification build logs. I once saw a company in Canada, that offered complete undercarriage upgrades in GM vehicles that were fleet or oil field industry aligned, but lost their info in a computer crash years ago. They had skid plate upgrades that rivaled RAM power wagon protection.

If you have some picture's of your work, it would be appreciated by many here who have lamented exactly the lack of love GM has shown, when compared to some of their rivals. During my trucks era, a Z-71 on a HD was not available,.....now they are. During that era, a Z-71 basically had 3 things that were upgraded. They were the 'Jounce Bumper's' (torsion stops), the shocks, and a rear locker. When I had my new 1997 Z-71, these were what was offered as a standard upgrade. In 1999, my new Z-71 (trade up) had the jounce bumpers (poly vs a hard foam bump stop, and the locker. The shocks were no longer Bilstien's (YELLOW), but a lower grade unit (BLUE) offered as standard equipment with that trim level.

On my truck, I did the bump-stop and Bilstien 4800 shock upgrade(Z-71 SPEC). The shocks were a big improvement on hwy driving, and the jounce bumpers helped with slow speed compression of the suspension by not allowing full bottoming out (Duramax engine wt.) , when the foam bumper stops fully compressed. I have been happy with the G-80, and only wished there was a front L/S, or better yet a locker that didn't put such a big question mark on the designed front drive-train durability if installed.

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, I'm intrigued, and on the hook. The only splash shield metal replacements I ever found were offered by lift companies with propitiatory replacements that only fit their designed suspension lifts. The inter-cooler area is a major concern if you run in heavy brush areas, and poking a stick in that unprotected area, will cause some serious grief. I have seen a few homemade transmission shields which addressed the external fluid filter, but no real attachment points used for mounting to the frame. AKA, incomplete modification build logs. I once saw a company in Canada, that offered complete undercarriage upgrades in GM vehicles that were fleet or oil field industry aligned, but lost their info in a computer crash years ago. They had skid plate upgrades that rivaled RAM power wagon protection.

If you have some picture's of your work, it would be appreciated by many here who have lamented exactly the lack of love GM has shown, when compared to some of their rivals. During my trucks era, a Z-71 on a HD was not available,.....now they are. During that era, a Z-71 basically had 3 things that were upgraded. They were the 'Jounce Bumper's' (torsion stops), the shocks, and a rear locker. When I had my new 1997 Z-71, these were what was offered as a standard upgrade. In 1999, my new Z-71 (trade up) had the jounce bumpers (poly vs a hard foam bump stop, and the locker. The shocks were no longer Bilstien's (YELLOW), but a lower grade unit (BLUE) offered as standard equipment with that trim level.

On my truck, I did the bump-stop and Bilstien 4800 shock upgrade(Z-71 SPEC). The shocks were a big improvement on hwy driving, and the jounce bumpers helped with slow speed compression of the suspension by not allowing full bottoming out (Duramax engine wt.) , when the foam bumper stops fully compressed. I have been happy with the G-80, and only wished there was a front L/S, or better yet a locker that didn't put such a big question mark on the designed front drive-train durability if installed.
I feel ya on some of the lacking standard equipment on our trucks for anything more than mild off road use. Our truck has a G80 and while it has worked well for us so far, its still a big question mark for durability. Ours is only a 2wd, half-ton truck, but I've had some friends blow up G80's and my partner has a heavy foot so its on the list to get replaced with a truetrac or a Detroit locker sooner rather than later. The front suspension on ours has been a saga to say the least... its in a bit better place now with lift spindles/UCA's/limit straps/extended travel shocks/taller coil springs but the bump stops are still a problem on ours and I'd really like to just plunk a bunch of cash down on a long travel kit for it + hydro bumps. The other side of this... is that the front works well enough right that now the rear suspension is the limiting factor. We're going to leave the front alone until the shocks in it die...
We don't tow or haul with it so our plans are more desert truck/pre-runner than heavily loaded overland rig/general use pickup

I'll snag some pic's of the front shield/skid on ours. It started as a temporary replacement so I'm not happy with my workmanship on it, and its on the list to be re-worked once I get a tube notcher (+ more welding experience) and can build something a bit more sturdy. The engine/trans/ABS skids are in the planning stages still, but they'll be more in-line with our use of the truck and not ULTRA heavy duty, lets-go-drag-it-through-the-rocks, skids like I have on my Jeep.

Last edited:

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA

That video was painful to watch. Welcome to the wussification of America. They could've removed 99% of the tech gadgets and given it lockers, and upgraded the suspension. What's with the air shocks anyway?? But it would be a perfect vehicle to crawl the mall and take the kids to soccer!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I feel ya on some of the lacking standard equipment on our trucks for anything more than mild off road use. Our truck has a G80 and while it has worked well for us so far, its still a big question mark for durability. Ours is only a 2wd, half-ton truck, but I've had some friends blow up G80's and my partner has a heavy foot so its on the list to get replaced with a truetrac or a Detroit locker sooner rather than later. The front suspension on ours has been a saga to say the least... its in a bit better place now with lift spindles/UCA's/limit straps/extended travel shocks/taller coil springs but the bump stops are still a problem on ours and I'd really like to just plunk a bunch of cash down on a long travel kit for it + hydro bumps. The other side of this... is that the front works well enough right that now the rear suspension is the limiting factor. We're going to leave the front alone until the shocks in it die...
We don't tow or haul with it so our plans are more desert truck/pre-runner than heavily loaded overland rig/general use pickup

I'll snag some pic's of the front shield/skid on ours. It started as a temporary replacement so I'm not happy with my workmanship on it, and its on the list to be re-worked once I get a tube notcher (+ more welding experience) and can build something a bit more sturdy. The engine/trans/ABS skids are in the planning stages still, but they'll be more in-line with our use of the truck and not ULTRA heavy duty, lets-go-drag-it-through-the-rocks, skids like I have on my Jeep.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did a true trac front diff, and then sold it before getting to evaluate it........sad. It was the upgrade I really wanted. It was put on a 1985 Manuel 6 cyl., F-150. I had already put a lunch box locker in the 8.8 inch rear. Being a low power unit, I was not worried for durability. How-ever,..for the GM/RAM design..................those few that put them in a H/D (RAM/H/D-diesels) said that the ring gear? bolt backed out and trashed the diff. A problem that was rectified by redesigning the thread pitch....fine to coarse or coarse to fine. Followed by a tear down, thread/bolt cleaning, and retorging/ to spec/blue thread locker to fix issues.

The little I found on the locker front, was to use it very lightly/carefully, and the ARB was considered the best. But it's expensive up front, needs a expert installer, then an expensive compressor.

Reactions: rho

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I cant argue, I got a fully wrapped interior but i have to say the long pavement trips to get to our next trail is fairly nice and i cant complain and it still gets over the rocks in the road.
Nothing wrong with fully leather wrapped as long as it's still a capable truck.

My 14 Sierra z71 started out as an SLE but the original owner knew how to maximize the options and packages, so it's more like an SLT or Denali on the inside with SLE exterior. I added the Bilstein 5100's, 17 inch steel 7-spoked wheels, Cooper Discoverer M & S tires, Leer cap and roof rack

Reactions: BCMoto

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Yea my LTZ is pretty much optioned out and its a high country without the badge and price hahaha I did downsize the 22's to 18s

Reactions: Desert Runner

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

To be honest I'm kind of bummed we can't buy a 2 door, regular cab truck anymore. If we could have I'm pretty sure we'd have a 2020, 4x4 in our driveway right now...
You can still get single cabs you just have to hunt for them

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Ohio plow trucks.

F250/350 Fx4, XL regular cabs will be on sale in a few months when the snow clears. They'll have rebates by Thanksgiving. Damn near perfect overlanders once you slap some Cooper Stt Pro's on. Rubber floor, e locker, Dana 60 front with free spin hubs. $39,000 out the door is my guess. Maybe less if my collapsing economy prediction, rings true.

Good news, the plow trucks are nearly leveled, 36" tires fit easy. To get the absolutely necessary plow heated mirrors, you usually have to order the entire XL+ option pack. Power mirrors, AC, etc. So they're never strippers. Plow guys love their tunes and Fx4's.

Bad news, they almost all have 3.73 gears. Which are Ok up to 35's. 37's are best with at least 4.56, 4.88 for performance. Fortran software is a hardcore Russian pita. You'll need it to turn off the moronic Obama sensors and voodoo the 37''tires and gear calibration. Dealers can't do it.

Pretty sure that my F250 was a crew cab version of plow truck overstock. But we also had a gas pipeline being installed nearby. And pipeline guys love XL+ Fx4's to. Lucky for me, only in black or silver, not white. OEM tires sucked. Michelin LTX AT2.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

You can still get single cabs you just have to hunt for them
Single cab, maybe. But no single cab short bed in the current generation, unless you live in Dubai. How's that strike you? Here in the US, we have fewer options on our Chevy trucks than buyers in the middle east. And some of those options used to be considered lesser