Who here is also exploring in a small Jeep? Cherokee, Compass, Renegade? Post photos, lets see them.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
This is awesome! She's beautiful. This is giving me some ideas. I will say I've noticed the cargo space is pretty limited but the basket may be the way to go. The only annoying this is I also kayak. So changing that out won't be fun.

Thanks for sharing. I'm stoked to start building.
Get a half basket and the kayak rack. Best of both worlds. There are ways to configure the little rigs for everything. We are adding two narrow “space boxes” on the roof of our patriot for a trip we are taking next year. We are connecting the sylvansport with all their goodies, hitting the road for 2 weeks going to Nova Scotia and maybe PEI if we feel like it. But the two boxes, instead of one will make it easier for us to access as neither of us, Besides “little man” are not tall enough to get to the center of any box. Ha ha.

Reactions: joxhua

joxhua

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bowlby
This is awesome! She's beautiful. This is giving me some ideas. I will say I've noticed the cargo space is pretty limited but the basket may be the way to go. The only annoying this is I also kayak. So changing that out won't be fun.

Get a half basket and the kayak rack. Best of both worlds. There are ways to configure the little rigs for everything. We are adding two narrow “space boxes” on the roof of our patriot for a trip we are taking next year. We are connecting the sylvansport with all their goodies, hitting the road for 2 weeks going to Nova Scotia and maybe PEI if we feel like it. But the two boxes, instead of one will make it easier for us to access as neither of us, Besides “little man” are not tall enough to get to the center of any box. Ha ha.
This is a stellar idea. Honestly didn't realize there was a half basket option. But that makes sense. I'll probably go that route. I'm also not that tall so actually taking advantage of the middle wouldn't be possible.

Thanks for the insight and I hope that trip goes really well. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I used to throw my fishing kayak up on top of the basket as long as I didn't have anything else really up there. Downside to that was my kayak was heavy and getting it up and down was a pain.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
This is a stellar idea. Honestly didn't realize there was a half basket option. But that makes sense. I'll probably go that route. I'm also not that tall so actually taking advantage of the middle wouldn't be possible.

Thanks for the insight and I hope that trip goes really well. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Thanks, I subscribe to front runners emails. I may go that route as well. Get the front runner rack, and 4 of their boxes for the roof.

Either way, we will have lots of storage for our gear.

Check out amazon for the half racks, that is where I saw them.

Latitude_Overland

Rank II

Contributor III

Gillette, WY, USA
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

I think you can't go wrong with anything from MFC. Do NOT buy rough country's lifts. It was junk on our patriot.
I was planning on the 3in because I can option HD. I have a roof top tent so the HD springs will help with the load and the camping gear I would though in the jeep.

joxhua

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bowlby
Howdy, I drive a 2022 Jeep Compass and am looking for some reasonable off-road tires. When it comes to tires I have no idea what I am looking at. I do drive this car as a daily driver and sometimes long distances so I also need something that will not totally kill my mileage and be ok with driving on flat roads for a good distance.

(Also if this isn't the right place to ask, please let me know)

Latitude_Overland

Rank II

Contributor III

Gillette, WY, USA
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

Howdy, I drive a 2022 Jeep Compass and am looking for some reasonable off-road tires. When it comes to tires I have no idea what I am looking at. I do drive this car as a daily driver and sometimes long distances so I also need something that will not totally kill my mileage and be ok with driving on flat roads for a good distance.

I am personally getting General Grabber ATX’s for my 2019 jeep Cherokee. My dad had them on his Nissan Titan for 50k miles and they still have excellent tread. They also are not very loud and maybe will take away 1-3 MPG depending on speed.

joxhua

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bowlby
I am personally getting General Grabber ATX’s for my 2019 jeep Cherokee. My dad had them on his Nissan Titan for 50k miles and they still have excellent tread. They also are not very loud and maybe will take away 1-3 MPG depending on speed.
Awesome Ill take a look at those, thank you for the recommendation. :)

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS

Can't go wrong with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. Great on and off road. They balance very well and are quiet on the pavement.

Latitude_Overland

Rank II

Contributor III

Gillette, WY, USA
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

Can't go wrong with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. Great on and off road. They balance very well and are quiet on the pavement.
KO2’s are also an option I had. A good friend of mine has them in his truck and Suburban. They work well for his climate. I get a lot of snow here in the Midwest to General Grabber are the way I’m going.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

Falken AT3W. We have had these on our Patriot for almost 2 years and they are awesome. Quiet, lots of off road grip, great in snow, good wear after almost 2 years we have approx. 50 percent of tread left. For a lightweight rig like the compass, Do not get LT rated tires. They are way to heavy and provide no benefit. we are not rawk krawling in our little rigs so massive rock cut resistance is not a huge issue. I have had our Falkens on all sorts of terrain and no issues. Go look at our build thread here and check out our rigs ups and downs ha ha.

joxhua

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bowlby
Falken AT3W. We have had these on our Patriot for almost 2 years and they are awesome. Quiet, lots of off road grip, great in snow, good wear after almost 2 years we have approx. 50 percent of tread left. For a lightweight rig like the compass, Do not get LT rated tires. They are way to heavy and provide no benefit. we are not rawk krawling in our little rigs so massive rock cut resistance is not a huge issue. I have had our Falkens on all sorts of terrain and no issues. Go look at our build thread here and check out our rigs ups and downs ha ha.

Yall are a wealth of information, I appreciate it. Ill take a look and see what I can find. I appreciate the comment about the LT rated tires. I had seen some on a deal but also seemed a little much. Appreciate your wisdom!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Yall are a wealth of information, I appreciate it. Ill take a look and see what I can find. I appreciate the comment about the LT rated tires. I had seen some on a deal but also seemed a little much. Appreciate your wisdom!
No problem. I even felt that E load LT tires were too much for my 2 wrangler unlimited we had. At the end I was searching for C load 33s or 35s. But it's much less of an issue in a lightweight rig. Just run a good quality P tire and you get better gas milage because of weight, and better ride because it's not 8 or 10 ply tire on a rig that weighs less than the load rating of one tire in an E load series.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

It doesn't get much more micro than this. We'll have it "overland ready" by spring! You can follow the build on our YouTube channel if you'd like.

View attachment 268696
Love it! A few days ago I posted some pics on a Facebook group of various cars I raced with 50 years ago (Canadian Off Road Racing Association seasons 1973 & 74). I was in the single seater class but several were of bugs. Yours reminds me of one of them.

30 7 1 - Lloyd Boyd.jpg