Who here is also exploring in a small Jeep? Cherokee, Compass, Renegade? Post photos, lets see them.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I also have a 1988 Comanche Eliminator that I've started to use a bit more for camping. It's pretty much stock but I'll be putting a 2" lift on it this winter and increasing the tires to 31x10.5x15 (same as the XJ). It's currently a 2WD so it will have limited use but should be fine for some of the trips I do. A 4WD conversion may be in the works.

View attachment 246203View attachment 246204
Love the Commanche! I always thought about getting really silly about it and making one a full 4 door with the full length bed. That would be an awesome rig for us.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Love the Commanche! I always thought about getting really silly about it and making one a full 4 door with the full length bed. That would be an awesome rig for us.
It's been done by quite a few guys. The 7' bed makes them very long overall. The 6' bed (like mine) is good when made into a 4 dr.. Some cut the bed down to about 5' which makes them visually good but has its drawbacks. Here is a good build that shows the steps ... and there's a LOT of them!

(789) Jeep Comanche Crew Cab Full Build - YouTube

The one I like is a lengthened cab to use the doors off of a 2 dr. Cherokee (10" longer). I think what this guy did was replaced a 7' bed with a 6' bed and lengthened the cab. That's not as easy as I made it sound as I'm sure there was a lot of sectioning of the body and altering of the roof lines. He probably had to move the wheel well too. Not to criticize but if he added the vents to the B pilar behind the door glass it would have helped to identify it as a Comanche.

00F0F_heXrx6apeYa_1200x900.thumb.jpg.26ae8f319d8ad991f2f4fabbf124b492.jpg

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

If you can find a clean XJ they are great! Ours is our family toy!
It looks like you sleep in your XJ. I do too when I go without a trailer and find it to be very comfortable. I've never done it in the winter though. You've got me thinking! For warmer weather I made screens for the windows to help with ventilation and they they do a good job.

20210811_195454.jpg20210811_190257.jpg

Tyhaines421

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Reese,Michigan
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Haines
Member #

If you can find a clean XJ they are great! Ours is our family toy!
It looks like you sleep in your XJ. I do too when I go without a trailer and find it to be very comfortable. I've never done it in the winter though. You've got me thinking! For warmer weather I made screens for the windows to help with ventilation and they they do a good job.

View attachment 255934View attachment 255935
The screens are a great idea!!!! No we haven’t slept in it yet, maybe later. That little platform is just a cool little divider. Camp comfort stored on the passenger side and the driver side has recovery gear. Keeps things clear so the dogs can ride back there

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Yes, it’s a Wrangler, but it’s a 2 door.
Carnage is a 1995 Jeep YJ with the rear seat removed for more storage. We have a lift, 31” tires, sway bar disconnects. I’ve installed an air compressor and additional power for our Rough Country fridge.
This Jeep is a rough ride with leaf springs; slow to get to the trail head with a 2.5 4-cylinder 5-speed; and a ton of fun on the trail.

Attachments

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This is my '91 Sport. Started life as a 2wd. Just converted it to 4wd. This is a 5sp also. When I added the front axle I also replaced the rear axle with axles out of a automatic. changed the gearing from 3.07 to 3.54. This lowered the gearing enough to be able to add 31" tires without changing the speedometer. Also added a 3" lift during the conversion.

I built the trailer a few years ago. It is what is called a foamie. Nothing but 2" pink insulation foam from the floor up, covered in canvas also known as PMF. Weighs about 550lbs empty, 800-850 ready to roll.
20230528_123247.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

This is my '91 Sport. Started life as a 2wd. Just converted it to 4wd. This is a 5sp also. When I added the front axle I also replaced the rear axle with axles out of a automatic. changed the gearing from 3.07 to 3.54. This lowered the gearing enough to be able to add 31" tires without changing the speedometer. Also added a 3" lift during the conversion.

I built the trailer a few years ago. It is what is called a foamie. Nothing but 2" pink insulation foam from the floor up, covered in canvas also known as PMF. Weighs about 550lbs empty, 800-850 ready to roll.
View attachment 265517
Love the 2 drs. ... especially in white. :smile:

312595722_10166508116645702_1276913585997463263_n.jpg

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Love the 2 drs. ... especially in white. :smile:

View attachment 265518
Me too. I have owned two 4 doors, but found them to be difficult to get in and out. Always wanted to try the 2dr, thought they looked better too. Took a long time, but I found this one for a price I could not pass up. Plus being a 2wd I knew it did not see any rough trail use. Pretty tight unit for its age. Oh, and yes white or forest service green are my number 1 colors too.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Me too. I have owned two 4 doors, but found them to be difficult to get in and out. Always wanted to try the 2dr, thought they looked better too. Took a long time, but I found this one for a price I could not pass up. Plus being a 2wd I knew it did not see any rough trail use. Pretty tight unit for its age. Oh, and yes white or forest service green are my number 1 colors too.
I'm on my 3rd XJ too, one 4 dr. and two 2 drs. I agree that the 4 drs. are a bit harder to get into, especially for passengers getting into the rear. I wasn't sure I'd want a 2 dr. for camping. I though having rear doors for accessing equipment would be the way to go but it's been fine. I ocassionally sleep in the cargo area and getting in via the longer door is quite easy. I just move the passenger's seat forward and go in head first.

If you ever wondered ... this pic (not mine) of a front door of a 4 dr. mounted on 2 dr. body shows the difference in the length of the doors. It's almost 10 inches!

IMG00017.jpg

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I'm on my 3rd XJ too, one 4 dr. and two 2 drs. I agree that the 4 drs. are a bit harder to get into, especially for passengers getting into the rear. I wasn't sure I'd want a 2 dr. for camping. I though having rear doors for accessing equipment would be the way to go but it's been fine. I ocassionally sleep in the cargo area and getting in via the longer door is quite easy. I just move the passenger's seat forward and go in head first.

If you ever wondered ... this pic (not mine) of a front door of a 4 dr. mounted on 2 dr. body shows the difference in the length of the doors. It's almost 10 inches!
Big difference for sure. I though having only two doors it would be difficult to get people into the back seat. Having that extra width made a huge difference. I almost think it is easier to get in and out of the back seat with the two door than it is with the 4 doors.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Just picked up a 2022 Jeep Compass Lattitude to start Overlanding in. If anyone has any experience using one or suggestions on what I should do to it I'm open!
They are surprisingly capable out of the box. I have a 2019 compass trailhawk that I use as a daily driver/weekend warrior. The only real downside to the compass in my eyes is they lack power, and I'm used to an older vehicle so the computer driving the wheels takes a bit of getting used to offroad.
My compass has been through many changes and it is still constantly changing. I used to fold the back seat downtown fit all the camping gear for a trip, but then I added car seats for the kids and needed more space, so I added the roof basket which is fine as long as it doesn't rain.... I ended up designing a trailer and starting a build but ran outta time and money (at least for now) so I modified an exciting trailer to fit most of my needs short term.
The roof of the compass I now use a hard cargo carrier.
I did add a 2" rough country lift to mine because I have a habit or forgetting I'm not in my TJ and did some damage to the passenger rocker panel on a trail when it fell off its line into a rock. It also has 1" wheel spacers, rtx replica wheels and 235/65r17 tires.

Attachments

joxhua

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bowlby
Just picked up a 2022 Jeep Compass Lattitude to start Overlanding in. If anyone has any experience using one or suggestions on what I should do to it I'm open!
They are surprisingly capable out of the box. I have a 2019 compass trailhawk that I use as a daily driver/weekend warrior. The only real downside to the compass in my eyes is they lack power, and I'm used to an older vehicle so the computer driving the wheels takes a bit of getting used to offroad.
My compass has been through many changes and it is still constantly changing. I used to fold the back seat downtown fit all the camping gear for a trip, but then I added car seats for the kids and needed more space, so I added the roof basket which is fine as long as it doesn't rain.... I ended up designing a trailer and starting a build but ran outta time and money (at least for now) so I modified an exciting trailer to fit most of my needs short term.
The roof of the compass I now use a hard cargo carrier.
I did add a 2" rough country lift to mine because I have a habit or forgetting I'm not in my TJ and did some damage to the passenger rocker panel on a trail when it fell off its line into a rock. It also has 1" wheel spacers, rtx replica wheels and 235/65r17 tires.
This is awesome! She's beautiful. This is giving me some ideas. I will say I've noticed the cargo space is pretty limited but the basket may be the way to go. The only annoying this is I also kayak. So changing that out won't be fun.

Thanks for sharing. I'm stoked to start building.