Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I too disagree. You can’t virtue signal when you’re not being virtuous because you don’t have a choice. If one were to be attacked by multiple bad guys (common in Houston) having an AR in hand will change the dynamic of the confrontation. More likely in the victims favor.
Not common in Canada ... yet anyway.
I don’t want to go too far off topic.

I will be headed to magnolia beach Texas late this month (Texans are pretty armed up) with a Facebook Texas senior camping group. Park the trailer on the beach and listen to the waves with Seth, My 12year old dog bestie. Sure will be nice enjoying the cool, since Texas is 50% closer to the sun in the summer than y’all. I’m 71, and will be alone with my 12 year old dog. Wife will come up on weekends. Through it all, my neighbors will see a nice and friendly old man cooking on his Blackstone drinking tea, reading a book and waving.

When I head to Big Bend early next year, solitude, snow, animals, possible unsavory people, that will necessitate a change my security posture. But anyone watching, nearest campground a mile+ away, will see the same thing.

Attachments

Reactions: Arailt

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I will be headed to magnolia beach Texas late this month (Texans are pretty armed up) with a Facebook Texas senior camping group. Park the trailer on the beach and listen to the waves with Seth, My 12year old dog bestie. Sure will be nice enjoying the cool, since Texas is 50% closer to the sun in the summer than y’all. I’m 71, and will be alone with my 12 year old dog. Wife will come up on weekends. Through it all, my neighbors will see a nice and friendly old man cooking on his Blackstone drinking tea, reading a book and waving.

When I head to Big Bend early next year, solitude, snow, animals, possible unsavory people, that will necessitate a change my security posture. But anyone watching, nearest campground a mile+ away, will see the same thing.
I'm also 71 and most of my camping is with my wife and about half of what we do is with our tear drop club at Provincial Parks. They're convenient and are a good base for trips out to kayak, bike and/or hike. No one I know feels the need to be armed and besides, it's illegal. I camp on my own and do those and similar activities and I've yet to encounter anything that's made me the least bit nervous. I'm more concerned about my Jeep breaking down or injuring myself and having to walk (crawl?) back from where ever I am.

Reactions: Angel Rivera

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Try waving an Israeli flag on a university campus. :)
As far as I know there hasn't been any gun fire at any of the protest here. There has been by cowards who have shot up a few buildings away from the protests. My guess is that some are carrying knives.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA

I'm also 71 and most of my camping is with my wife and about half of what we do is with our tear drop club at Provincial Parks. They're convenient and are a good base for trips out to kayak, bike and/or hike. No one I know feels the need to be armed and besides, it's illegal. I camp on my own and do those and similar activities and I've yet to encounter anything that's made me the least bit nervous. I'm more concerned about my Jeep breaking down or injuring myself and having to walk (crawl?) back from where ever I am.
Because it’s illegal, you have no choice. I get that. But you don’t get to decide what others do. Remember it’s enshrined in our constitution. I’d vote for Pierre if I could.

Living in Alaska I’d drag Bessie to places where the nearest bump in the road was 100+ miles away. Not a park, truly nothing there. No cell, no radios, very little traffic. You’re on your own. Predators are king out there. Grizzlies can open up Bessie like a sardine can. In Big Bend, Texas, as I’ve mentioned before, there are plenty two legged reasons to be armed. Experienced Texans have been United in their recommendation.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Try waving an Israeli flag on a university campus. :)
As far as I know there hasn't been any gun fire at any of the protest here. There has been by cowards who have shot up a few buildings away from the protests. My guess is that some are carrying knives.
They don’t need guns when you have hundreds of people rioting around the same time.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA

PS: I agree we need to be prepared for the worst.

I have never had an issue with my H3 (or H2) on the road. Took H3 to Prudhoe Bay on the infamous Dalton Highway. Long as I’m moving I don’t see an issue-except everything else that can go wrong.

I have a 72 hour bag with me. Worse comes to worse, it should keep me alive while emergency rescue reaches me. I’ve never had to use it-yet.

Attachments

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Always....I certainly hope for the people that think an AR has no place then I sure hope you don't drive a car or own knives. Kill way more people than ARs.
True dat. Miller v Bonta ruling by Judge Benitez clearly explained that as part of his ruling-which is on appeal.

Reactions: Ator30

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

I have never had an issue with my H3 (or H2) on the road. Took H3 to Prudhoe Bay on the infamous Dalton Highway. Long as I’m moving I don’t see an issue-except everything else that can go wrong.

I have a 72 hour bag with me. Worse comes to worse, it should keep me alive while emergency rescue reaches me. I’ve never had to use it-yet.
I built my 4Runner for a trip on the Dalton. How was the ride and scenery? What time of year did your go?

Reactions: Angel Rivera

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA

I built my 4Runner for a trip on the Dalton. How was the ride and scenery? What time of year did your go?
I went early Sept. God kept an
Eye on out for me. There were early snow patches, late enough mosquitoes and horseflies were gone. There’s a website with road conditions. Beautiful fall colors. Road was mostly dirt. Interspersed with gravel, mud, and pavement believe it or not. In the middle of nowhere you get a mile or two of asphalt. I over prepped so it went pretty smoothly. Make sure you slow down and stop when trucks are coming at you. The windshield you Dave will be your own. Guess how I learned?

Attachments

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Eye on out for me. There were early snow patches, late enough mosquitoes and horseflies were gone. There’s a website with road conditions. Beautiful fall colors. Road was mostly dirt. Interspersed with gravel, mud, and pavement believe it or not. In the middle of nowhere you get a mile or two of asphalt. I over prepped so it went pretty smoothly. Make sure you slow down and stop when trucks are coming at you. The windshield you Dave will be your own. Guess how I learned?
Thank you for the information, one last question though, can you really “over prepare”?
Correction: two questions, did you see any Aurora Borealis? That is why I really want to go there, photography Of the AB’s.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
Thank you for the information, one last question though, can you really “over prepare”?
Correction: two questions, did you see any Aurora Borealis? That is why I really want to go there, photography Of the AB’s.
It only seems overly prepared when you are finally back. I put the seats down, and stuffed it. Tool, gas (always carry a lot of gas.) I carried a bit over half a tank. And then supplies to keep you going in case of a mishap. Warmth, water, food, protection. That trip, I carried 12 ga shotgun with Black Magic Magnum slugs. 1 3/8 Oz slug going at 1200-1500 fps. And a Governor with BB 325gr +p rounds. You do not want to shoot close to the pipeline. Not kill a bear without a tag.

September might be a little too early to capture Aurora-but you never know. North of the Arctic circle, sun is out 24/7 during summer. Pitch black during winter. Remember Whitehorse and Prudhoe Bay are not normal towns. These are purely oil workers. I recommend the Aurora there. I worked for an oil company, and our travel lady recommended it. Beautiful spike room.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
PS: if you chose to come in the dead of winter-Fairbanks. They have a trip where they’ll come get you at your hotel, dog sled you into the back country, and have huts where you can spend the night shooting. They also have photographers on hand to help. But it comes out to -lay when it wants to.

For me, it was awe inspiring to see it develop. Thought about a higher power. HTH

Attachments

Reactions: freak4life

KCAT

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pueblo, Colorado, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
King
Member #

We carry while camping. We usually have a .45 and a 9mm in the truck. The .45 is loaded with snake shot and a mag with defense rounds. A lot of times we go target shooting while camping. So we also have target shouting varmint rifles and my daughters’ BB Guns. As soon as I get a shot gun that will go too. Like others have said, I have never felt like I needed to protect myself in that way, but better to have and not need it and such. We also have bear horns and spray and bangers for the first line of defense. Oh, and a dog as the early warning system!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Because I am older, and grumpy today - AR's would be fine up here and were for years. But we have a political party whose ideology is no Canadian should own any firearms and they use US events to push that agenda the AR and handguns are a favorite target for their propaganda.

That is just so those of you in the US understand the politics of firearms in Canada.

But I always carry my shotgun, never needed it with luck I never will, bears really do not bother me much. Outside of older, crippled or garbage habituated ones they tend to stay away. Cougars are a bigger concern, I have found fresh tracks several times in the Am when I have camped solo and remote.

I have seen a rattler or 2 but I just live and let live with those guys

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Because I am older, and grumpy today - AR's would be fine up here and were for years. But we have a political party whose ideology is no Canadian should own any firearms and they use US events to push that agenda the AR and handguns are a favorite target for their propaganda.

That is just so those of you in the US understand the politics of firearms in Canada.

But I always carry my shotgun, never needed it with luck I never will, bears really do not bother me much. Outside of older, crippled or garbage habituated ones they tend to stay away. Cougars are a bigger concern, I have found fresh tracks several times in the Am when I have camped solo and remote.

Well said. I'm old enough to have voted for Trudeau Sr. but that's the last thing I would have ever done. He was as an arrogant narcissist too but at least he was intelligent. Trudeau Jr. ... not even close. I don't know what our American friends know about him but his place on the international stage is falling apart. I doubt he'll make it to the 2025 election as the Liberal leader.

As for guns, the Liberal party couldn't have it more wrong. Their virtual signaling isn't addressing the problem which is illegal guns in the hands of urban gangs. The problem we're fighting though is the urban/rural population split which is at about 82/18% and those numbers are only going one way. The urban attitude, especially amongst the young is that no one "needs" a gun. Their position might change when the gang bangers decide to shoot at more than just each other.

As for camping and the wilderness in general, I would do what you are doing if I was close to grizzlies and cougars. The worst I've encountered is being stalked by wild turkeys which is always kind of funny. As for black bears, it's a great day when you get to see one. They're just after your food.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well said. I'm old enough to have voted for Trudeau Sr. but that's the last thing I would have ever done. He was as an arrogant narcissist too but at least he was intelligent. Trudeau Jr. ... not even close. I don't know what our American friends know about him but his place on the international stage is falling apart. I doubt he'll make it to the 2025 election as the Liberal leader.

As for guns, the Liberal party couldn't have it more wrong. Their virtual signaling isn't addressing the problem which is illegal guns in the hands of urban gangs. The problem we're fighting though is the urban/rural population split which is at about 82/18% and those numbers are only going one way. The urban attitude, especially amongst the young is that no one "needs" a gun. Their position might change when the gang bangers decide to shoot at more than just each other.

As for camping and the wilderness in general, I would do what you are doing if I was close to grizzlies and cougars. The worst I've encountered is being stalked by wild turkeys which is always kind of funny. As for black bears, it's a great day when you get to see one. They're just after your food.
Bears are usually not a problem, even griz, but either kind can unalive you very fast. That's why I always take a firearm in the bush when camping.