Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
I’m just gonna toss this question out there. Why?, because I hear the “ criminal “ argument all the time. It is the go to bumper sticker saying. When was the last time a criminal committed a mass shooting? The answer is extraordinarily rarely, a negligible percentage that one could say with confidence, - none. They have all been law abiding citizens that have either legally purchased, or borrowed a legally purchased weapon from parents or friends. It took nearly 20 years to get “tommy” guns off the streets after they were made illegal. First steps need to be taken, one step at a time.

Reactions: Angel Rivera

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
When was the last time a criminal committed a mass shooting?
Every person who commits the heinous crime of a mass shooting is a criminal.

They have all been law abiding citizens that have either legally purchased, or borrowed a legally purchased weapon from parents or friends.
This is incorrect. While potentially true in a very limited number of cases saying “all” is an example of a “go to bumper sticker”.

When I was a kid we could have firearms in the car at the school parking lot and there were no mass shootings. Firearms have not changed but society sure has changed. So should we outlaw firearms or those who are actively working to tear down our society in order to rebuild it with their ideals? Remember the party of COVID fear? Remember those who “peacefully“ demonstrated whilst destroying everything in their path?

Forgive my rant, but to enter an obviously pro-firearm thread and troll shows the lack of civility, self control and character that is tearing our society apart. Be a part of the solution.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I’m just gonna toss this question out there. Why?, because I hear the “ criminal “ argument all the time. It is the go to bumper sticker saying. When was the last time a criminal committed a mass shooting? The answer is extraordinarily rarely, a negligible percentage that one could say with confidence, - none. They have all been law abiding citizens that have either legally purchased, or borrowed a legally purchased weapon from parents or friends. It took nearly 20 years to get “tommy” guns off the streets after they were made illegal. First steps need to be taken, one step at a time.
I'm going to briefly take you off of ignore.
"Tommy guns " full auto subguns are legal, and available. They weren't ever "taken off of the streets "
You can buy one today provided you pay the King his ransom.

I'm going to be generous and assume you are just the victim of propaganda and disinformation.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
this gun legislation does nothing to lower gun crime rates. Criminals do not buy registered guns nor do they register said firearm. The only thing this does is make some people sleep better at night. Ignorance is bliss.
I will refer you back to my previous post which you must have missed.

TL:DR: evil people are evil and will do evil things with whatever means they can get their hands on.

Reactions: Ubiety

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I've never heard guns compared to toxic chemicals, I like the analogy, until someone brings up that toxic chemicals are regulated
Some toxic chemicals are regulated and some are not. You can buy plenty of very toxic chemicals in your local grocery store. The most toxic are regulated. Very similar to firearms in the US. Think NFA vs non-NFA.

Hell, you can even buy a combination of chemicals from your grocery store and mix to create incredibly deadly toxic chemicals. You can't do that with guns.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I've never heard guns compared to toxic chemicals, I like the analogy, until someone brings up that toxic chemicals are regulated
Some toxic chemicals are regulated and some are not. You can buy plenty of very toxic chemicals in your local grocery store. The most toxic are regulated. Very similar to firearms in the US. Think NFA vs non-NFA.

Hell, you can even buy a combination of chemicals from your grocery store and mix to create incredibly deadly toxic chemicals. You can't do that with guns.
you cant combine an "assault fifle" and a tommy gun to make a super deady assault tommy ghost rifle? i hear it can empty a 1000 rnd clip in under 30 seconds

*sarcasm*

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

You beat me too it. Very well said. Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and it’s even worse - plenty of dangerous stuff just sitting on the shelves for anyone to purchase.

Reactions: Arailt

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

TL:DR: evil people are evil and will do evil things with whatever means they can get their hands on.
That’s a given, you did not read my comment or you misinterpreted what I wrote- again, I tire of the straw man argument . Those that have committed mass murders were not previously criminals.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

This is incorrect. While potentially true in a very limited number of cases saying “all” is an example of a “go to bumper sticker”.

When I was a kid we could have firearms in the car at the school parking lot and there were no mass shootings. Firearms have not changed but society sure has changed. So should we outlaw firearms or those who are actively working to tear down our society in order to rebuild it with their ideals? Remember the party of COVID fear? Remember those who “peacefully“ demonstrated whilst destroying everything in their path?

Forgive my rant, but to enter an obviously pro-firearm thread and troll shows the lack of civility, self control and character that is tearing our society apart. Be a part of the solution.
Sir, my comments are well thought out and have been formed over the past 7 decades. If it offends you that I think as the rest of the civilized world thinks, especially my Canadian friends, then it may not be I that is the problem, but in fact, a part of the solution. I’ve friends that have guns, I was raised on a farm and learned to handle a 22 rifle and a shot gun at a very young age. If you think that it is acceptable for any person to purchase a weapon that has been designed for the sole purpose of mowing down any living things, en mass, then I certainly am not the one with the problem. Troll? that’s funny, these are open forums and we all have an opportunity to discuss topics of today, as long as we are civil and respectful of one another. I have deep respect for anyone willing to engage in conversation about any topic. That’s how problems are solved.

• Haha
Reactions: Clockwork

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

That’s a given, you did not read my comment or you misinterpreted what I wrote- again, I tire of the straw man argument . Those that have committed mass murders were not previously criminals.
Not being convicted of a criminal act or hiding the fact that you an evil person does not change the fact that evil people will do evil things. You appear to hold onto a notion that all guns are bad because people use them to comit crimes. Someone who gets behind the wheel of a car intoxicated, gets into an accident and kills a family, is not a criminal until they do this action. should we now ban all cars and alcohol because of this? A man that stabs his wife and kids to death with a butter knife because his wife threatened divorce, was not a criminal until this moment... should we now ban butter knifes? I can go on and on with this. Your arguement makes no sense and is based solely on the basis of "firearms kill people" and must be the problem. People are the problem, not law abiding people, but evil people. If you want to blame the firearms and ban those, the same logic would ban cars, knives, shovels, crobars, ties irons, baseball bats, steel piping, and the list is endless because "non-criminals" have used these items to kill multiple people at a time and were not "criminals" prior to these acts. Just because someone is not a "criminal" doesnt mean they cant be evil.

I would also like to point out that less than 1% of mass shootings in the U.S. involve what you refer to as "assault rifles". and if you turn to the fullly automatic variety the mass shootings with those is nearly non-existent.

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

Sir, my comments are well thought out and have been formed over the past 7 decades. If it offends you that I think as the rest of the civilized world thinks, especially my Canadian friends, then it may not be I that is the problem, but in fact, a part of the solution. I’ve friends that have guns, I was raised on a farm and learned to handle a 22 rifle and a shot gun at a very young age. If you think that it is acceptable for any person to purchase a weapon that has been designed for the sole purpose of mowing down any living things, en mass, then I certainly am not the one with the problem. Troll? that’s funny, these are open forums and we all have an opportunity to discuss topics of today, as long as we are civil and respectful of one another. I have deep respect for anyone willing to engage in conversation about any topic. That’s how problems are solved.
you said the entire civilized world agrees with you.... I believe you are stating the states are uncivilized. You have a right to your "informed" descions that 7 decades of indoctrination instilled in you.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

you said the entire civilized world agrees with you.... I believe you are stating the states are uncivilized. You have a right to your "informed" descions that 7 decades of indoctrination instilled in you.
The terms "civilized" and "rational" are not mutually inclusive nor exclusive.

Everybody in America owns a gun. Some people just choose to have some other guy hold it for them and hope he shows up in time when they need him to bring it over.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Now that’s hilarious! Yes, I’m laughing at you. Instead of reading what I wrote & taking it into consideration, you attack what you believe to be my world view as being indoctrinated . Thinking outside of your box, does not make another indoctrinated. As usual this conversation comes to an end, primarily because you presume to know how I think. Yet you are so far off base. Maybe you are the one indoctrinated, so much so, you are not able to engage in a productive conversation. I’m out.

• Haha
Reactions: Clockwork

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Now that’s hilarious! Yes, I’m laughing at you. Instead of reading what I wrote & taking it into consideration, you attack what you believe to be my world view as being indoctrinated . Thinking outside of your box, does not make another indoctrinated. As usual this conversation comes to an end, primarily because you presume to know how I think. Yet you are so far off base. Maybe you are the one indoctrinated, so much so, you are not able to engage in a productive conversation. I’m out.
I have lived both sides of this arguement. Growing up in a place where guns are evil, guns are the problem etc. It was indoctrination at its finest. Until I moved away and realized guns are to be respected and not feared. Guns are not the problem its merely evil people. All I did was point out that you called people who own guns and do not beleive they should have them taken away are uncivilized. You did this by calling your point of view the "civilized" one, refusing to see outside of your box/circle/world view. I may have have overstepped, maybe that is what was needed so it can help you see that insulting people, calling them uncivilized, saying they dont know what they are talking about, because your circle agrees with you, makes you better than them. This is exactly what happened and maybe you cant handle being called out on it. We have the right to differing opinions, and converstation about them is good. People dont need to turn to insults because the dont have a counter to an arguement, we can be happy to agree to disagree.

In the end we are in a forum, this thread is simply about who carries while they are camping/overlanding. So many people have stated in this thread that they carry and bring a modern sporting rifle as a form of protection. To come in and and state that is wrong, immediately puts everyone on the defensive and is completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have lived both sides of this arguement. Growing up in a place where guns are evil, guns are the problem etc. It was indoctrination at its finest. Until I moved away and realized guns are to be respected and not feared. Guns are not the problem its merely evil people. All I did was point out that you called people who own guns and do not beleive they should have them taken away are uncivilized. You did this by calling your point of view the "civilized" one, refusing to see outside of your box/circle/world view. I may have have overstepped, maybe that is what was needed so it can help you see that insulting people, calling them uncivilized, saying they dont know what they are talking about, because your circle agrees with you, makes you better than them. This is exactly what happened and maybe you cant handle being called out on it. We have the right to differing opinions, and converstation about them is good. People dont need to turn to insults because the dont have a counter to an arguement, we can be happy to agree to disagree.

In the end we are in a forum, this thread is simply about who carries while they are camping/overlanding. So many people have stated in this thread that they carry and bring a modern sporting rifle as a form of protection. To come in and and state that is wrong, immediately puts everyone on the defensive and is completely unnecessary.
Wow, never said anyone was wrong for doing so, the only thing I responded to was the comment about criminals. That’s it. It’s an old argument and no longer relevant to the debate, because, unfortunely, law abiding citizens, usually young men, went over the edge. I carry, my friends carry, another very good friend collects and has an arsenal of guns and load their own shells. It’s a great hobby. Peace out!!

Jeb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA
First Name
Jeb
Last Name
Mertz
Member #

If I'm out in the woods (camping, exploring,paddling or pre-season scouting) I am most likely carrying a sidearm either secured in my vehicle or in a backpack. Usually my 9mm or my trusty 357 wheel gun. I'm often alone when I'm out and its for my safety from mostly four legged critters. I will say Ive very rarely had any people problems, people I meet out in wild are mostly like minded folks out enjoying the wilds as well. generally speaking outdoor people are good people. Firearms are a good piece of survival kit to have on hand if you get into a situation where you may have to survive in an emergency or signal for help in an extreme situation (just remember, what goes up must come down when firing) YOU are responsible for every bullet and where it goes. Always use the BEST firearm safety practices, especially if you are with a family and kids (can't say that with enough emphasis). When you are driving on any public roadway, make sure your firearms are legally stowed and secured per state law if you are not a concealed carry permit holder. Firearms are fantastic tools not toys! get trained and educated, practice often, be proficient and know the laws of self defense (people and animals).