Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

I typically always have a AK or AR platform in my rig while camping. It gets locked in the cab at night and a 9mm goes in the RTT when sleeping. When the government or others say you don’t need a firearm, then you NEED a firearm.
I do same and I raise you 1mm. I carry a Glock 20 10mm with hard cast bullets while camping so I can deal with two and four legged predators.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have never felt the need to carry any sort of firearm anywhere unless I am hunting. Maybe in polar bear country when I have to get out of a tent at night to relieve myself.

Last edited:

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I bring my firearm when camping.

I'd rather have it and not ever use it than not have it and then find myself in need of it.

I've never had to use it.

I also bring a shovel, I've brought an axe, recovery gear, waterproof matches, emergency heat, extra food, extra clothes, extra fuel, trauma kit, and a SHTF backpack.

Never had to use them either but I wouldn't go anywhere without them.

Last edited:

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I have never felt the need to carry any sort of firearm anywhere unless I am hunting. Maybe in polar bear country when I have to get out of a tent at nice to relieve myself.
How do you feel about condoms?
I think we started this thread while I was still in Alaska. As I said, I carried powerful and mostly big bore sidearms. I never change a winning strategy. There is something about a Toklat when big animals make your life complicated.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
powerful and mostly big bore sidearms. I never change a winning strategy.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I sleep well knowing that the Super Redhawk or his lever gun cousin are ready to send some .454 down range. Whoops, I just gendered a gun, I had better go apologize and tweet some virtue signals!

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
powerful and mostly big bore sidearms. I never change a winning strategy.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I sleep well knowing that the Super Redhawk or his lever gun cousin are ready to send some .454 down range. Whoops, I just gendered a gun, I had better go apologize and tweet some virtue signals!
Not sure what all this means, nor what it has to do with me. Guns don’t have genders, though a Toklat is sexy. They’re simply tools. Relax, wouldn’t want you hyperventilating.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have a Marlin lever action in 45-70 Govt in my expadition trailer. I have a HK MR762A1 in my truck. The HK looks like a big AR. Great rifle for shooting sounders of feral hogs. Hi cap mags are good to have when you are trying to shoot large groups of moving targets (feral hogs).

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I have never felt the need to carry any sort of firearm anywhere unless I am hunting. Maybe in polar bear country when I have to get out of a tent at nice to relieve myself.
How do you feel about condoms?
I think we started this thread while I was still in Alaska. As I said, I carried powerful and mostly big bore sidearms. I never change a winning strategy. There is something about a Toklat when big animals make your life complicated.
Immediately thought “Howdy Texan!”

Planning a trip to Big Bend NP. Talking to Texas groups, universally advised me to come prepared. Thing I’m nervous about is rattlers. We didn’t have snakes in Alaska, so my dogs don’t realize the danger.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Planning a trip to Big Bend NP. Talking to Texas groups, universally advised me to come prepared. Thing I’m nervous about is rattlers. We didn’t have snakes in Alaska, so my dogs don’t realize the danger.
My dogs have been bit many,many times by Copperhead and Water Moccasin. So many times that the vet ultimately sent injectable diphenhydramine hcl (benadryl) antibiotics and pain relievers to keep in my home inventory (I had 10 dogs). If I was taking a dog into rattlesnake country particularly one not conditioned to snakes, I would talk to my vet about the benadryl. They get bit around the face most of the time and the swelling can close their esophagus. Before being able to inject them I would just stuff caplets down their throat which is much slower acting and somewhat difficult/hazardous as well .

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA

My dogs have been bit many,many times by Copperhead and Water Moccasin. So many times that the vet ultimately sent injectable diphenhydramine hcl (benadryl) antibiotics and pain relievers to keep in my home inventory (I had 10 dogs). If I was taking a dog into rattlesnake country particularly one not conditioned to snakes, I would talk to my vet about the benadryl. They get bit around the face most of the time and the swelling can close their esophagus. Before being able to inject them I would just stuff caplets down their throat which is much slower acting and somewhat difficult/hazardous as well .
This is so very useful!! Thank you. Down to 4 now but they’re my babies.

Reactions: zgfiredude

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

For that area, snake shot is an option.

also, have your vet give the dogs the rattlesnake vaccine. It doesn’t stop the effects of a bite, but reduces and slows them.