Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Our so bought us something similar that Samsonite put out in the early 60's. Its a mini Samsonite suitcase with leather straps and fittings for two bottles of wine, glasses, cutting board and knife. Its complete. Forgot all about it. Hhhmmm.....

Reactions: Correus

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I like "hoity toity"!!

Those pictured below actually have canvas and leather cases that cover them during travel. The greenish one with the little tray - the tray slides over the glassware and locks them in place during travel.

View attachment 139569

I particularly like that first one. It's exactly the sort of thing, size-wise and style-wise, that came to mind. Fun project to make in the home workshop.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

next time you're in the swamps....:grinning:
View attachment 139596
Be fun to design and make a half dozen. I have trunk hardware sources, and some great old trunk making guides, though this would be simple enough. I really do like the looks of that first one and may try it.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I particularly like that first one. It's exactly the sort of thing, size-wise and style-wise, that came to mind. Fun project to make in the home workshop.
Bingo! That's what I'm thinking as well.
Be fun to design and make a half dozen. I have trunk hardware sources, and some great old trunk making guides, though this would be simple enough. I really do like the looks of that first one and may try it.

Bingo! That's what I'm looking at doing, unless I can find an original from between the 1880s and 1940s.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Bingo! That's what I'm thinking as well.

Bingo! That's what I'm looking at doing, unless I can find an original from between the 1880s and 1940s.

Cool, hope you do!

I've toyed with vintage trunks and have several, including a really cool standing wardrobe trunk. I've thought about making my own briefcase style carriers for things, though in vintage trunk style.

Here's a great source for trunk hardware; Brettun's Village Trunk Shop, here in Maine. He also has leather for trunk-making. Poke around on his site, it's a veritable wealth of info, examples, and vintage advertising:

Here's a good source for other brass hardware:

And here's a screen grab of my other bookmarks for trunk stuff:
TrunkHardware-bookmarks.jpg

Let me know if you end up making one!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Cool, hope you do!

I've toyed with vintage trunks and have several, including a really cool standing wardrobe trunk. I've thought about making my own briefcase style carriers for things, though in vintage trunk style.

Here's a great source for trunk hardware; Brettun's Village Trunk Shop, here in Maine. He also has leather for trunk-making. Poke around on his site, it's a veritable wealth of info, examples, and vintage advertising:

Here's a good source for other brass hardware:

And here's a screen grab of my other bookmarks for trunk stuff:
View attachment 139637

Let me know if you end up making one!

Thanks!

One of my side hobbies is collecting antique/vintage wooden military trunks, cases, boxes. Same in regard to those used for expeditions and safaris, which are basically the same thing. I collect antique/vintage campaign furniture and gear as well.

Reactions: Road

Jeb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA
First Name
Jeb
Last Name
Mertz
Member #

I love all the ideas everyone posted, I saw a couple that I may pick up for parties and social events as they hold everything (digging the jerry can setup). This was the winner for tossing in the back of the truck with my gear. I don't care of this gets beat up, but it will definatley keep my bottles from breaking out on camping trips. Found it at Harbor Freight for $29.00, we will see how long it lasts!! like that it came with plenty of foam and dividers for carrying other items or wine bottles for the wife and has a tool holder in the lid for accessories.

Attachments

Reactions: mep1811

Haegar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Schieren, Luxembourg
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Ruetze
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Haegar
Hinges are standard
Interiourer wood plates an locks are from South.com or from supplier for music boxes.
edgibg strip, you can get them I guess from an industrial supplier for steel.

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
While one always wants to enjoy their scotch with a proper set of crystal glasses, I am inclined to use poly-carbonate glasses for my travel gear. At the local grocery store I found some inflatable sleeves for wine bottles and got some for my scotch and run, and, and... but I have to say... I really like the set up with the pelican case I am going to have to remember that idea. Still several sources have poly-carbonate glasses for wine (including nesting versions by GSI) they have wine glasses, campaign flutes, margarita glasses, martini glasses, highballs, old fashioned glasses, juice glasses, mugs, and pints available through suppliers for yachties, camping/RVing, and outdoor entertaining. You could easily build a bar the size of an old army foot locker without going with a jockey box for cold beer on tap.

Lifesaver

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fountain, Colorado, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0RGD
Some of my local liquor stores sell the wine cases that the wine ships in. They are made of wood. Couldn't you add your own padding to one of these? The ones I've seen even have dividers. They would be way cheaper than a pelican case. Not sure if this is what you are after. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I was just going to get this:
Link

And my Whiskey (atleast the ones I brought back from Scotland has the round cardboard outer shell, keeps my drink safe, but obviously don't toss it around)

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

My whiskey goes in my Stanley thermos. I don't need fancy. I just want qty and not broken glass when I miss judge a whoop. I do have a rocks glass that I pour it into as I am not a heathen.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Why not pickup a carry on suitcase at a thrift store and retrofit it for you needs. I saw a hard sided makeup case that had been fitted out as a portable bar. I thought it was pretty fun.

Reactions: Sparksalot

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I picked up on of these for my trailer. A nifty addition to my Yeti cup is called the Flask Kap. It holds an extra 5 oz of your favorite beverage and is dispensed a half ounce at a time by a pushing the button. Saves time on getting those refills.

Attachments

Reactions: rzims