Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
We've always been fans of the Benchmark map books which, like the Delorme series, come one per state. Neither Delorme or Benchmark are real good at the close-in work but for 90%+ of mapping needs, they do the job.
yes always a great map book to have unser the seat, just in case

Krycol08

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Krystle
Last Name
Cahill
Member #

Here to say I like the Nat Geo maps for certain things particularly because they sync with Gaia so you have a digital copy too

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

along with my navigation system, I use paper maps: Nat'l Forest Maps specific to Ranger Districts, Delorme Atlas & Gazetter, maps of the actual route (example) when the wife & I are running TAT or other backcountry routes to coincide with the other maps.
My navigation isn't nothing fancy Garmin MAP 64, Garmin Nuvi 50LM & Megellan TR7. I like the Garmin Nuvi 50LM because when the wife & I run the TAT GPS Kevin's micro SD Cards are programed TAT & other routes, so I can use that particular unit for TAT or other backcountry routes while the wife cross checking with paper maps. It works for us.
440387512_7432383646810445_5073975445223545132_n.jpg435945935_7472111346171008_6895252439304816510_n.jpg

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Local maps such as the ones at national/provincial/territorial/state parks usually provide better local information on the park, so we get these. For an overall paper map, used in early planning, and to show people where we've been and where we plan to go, we use ITMB maps.

Waterproof maps are no doubt good to have if you plan to be drenched on a long hike, however they are inconvenient if you like to annotate your paper map.

BasketCaseTech

Rank V

Expedition Master III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
jonathon
Last Name
Wiedmer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRYM477 GMRS
Definitely a fan of the Delorme Gazetteer map books although I wish they would spiral bind them. I keep one in the rig for whatever state(s) I will be in. The Butler maps, even though they are designed more for 2 wheelers, are awesome if they have one for where you will be running. GPS is nice and easy, but sitting around the camp studying a paper map just feels right! Plus the benefit to paper is having a large expanded view to catch a route you would otherwise not seen being zoomed out on the digital copy.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I usually take time to check various state websites, many times they will send you free maps, and if you are traveling via interstate many welcome centers have free maps. They're not usually off-road oriented maps, but they can help you navigate on a macro scale. I'm not going to invest a lot in something that will spend the majority of the time in the map folder in the back seat pocket. Butler's BCD maps are about the only ones I've spent money on in recent years.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I'm a big fan of the Delorme Gazetteer as well. I pick one up for every state I explore in.