Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I love, I mean absolutely treasure, the map books from Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer (who developed the Inreach satellite communicator and is now owned by by Garmin). Serious topo maps that show logging roads, etc. and that they are large book style, with a page guide on the back, helps one zero in on the page needed. Incredibly helpful both in planning and when out adventuring.

Like @MOAK, I also really like the Nat Geo folding maps, especially the National Geo Adventure and regional maps like the Nat Geo US Southwest and the five map bundle for Utah National Parks. Great folding maps. Those that I have are water and tear resistant.

Road

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

I love, I mean absolutely treasure, the map books from Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer (who developed the Inreach satellite communicator and is now owned by by Garmin). Serious topo maps that show logging roads, etc. and that they are large book style, with a page guide on the back, helps one zero in on the page needed. Incredibly helpful both in planning and when out adventuring.

Like @MOAK, I also really like the Nat Geo folding maps, especially the National Geo Adventure and regional maps like the Nat Geo US Southwest and the five map bundle for Utah National Parks. Great folding maps. Those that I have are water and tear resistant.

Road
Hello there, are these maps formatted the same as the ring binder maps from Thomas Guide? Those old Thomas Guides for So Cal used to be my transport bibles. If so I may need to shift gears a bit when we head west again next Sept/Oct..

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hello there, are these maps formatted the same as the ring binder maps from Thomas Guide? Those old Thomas Guides for So Cal used to be my transport bibles. If so I may need to shift gears a bit when we head west again next Sept/Oct..
Hey @MOAK, no, not formatted for a binder and not spiral bound, but have a durable cover. You can see them at Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer, or in this blog post I made about them. At around 11" x 15.5" they're a pretty good sized map book. They left the original cover on their first Atlas & Gazetteer, for Maine. All others have a more modern, red, cover. Just about everyone who goes anywhere in the state of Maine has a Maine Atlas & Gazetteer.

Also in that blog post, and worth mentioning here for the OP, or anyone interested in the best maps of Canada, are the Backroad Map Books, which I have several of and are excellent. They are spiral-bound 8.5" x 11." BRMB also has GPS maps and waterproof maps, and maps aimed specifically at hunting and fishing etc.

Road

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Depending on where you are going, ranger stations usually have free maps. I have a collection of them, and bought a couple waterproof maps for areas I frequent from the ranger stations.
Absolutely, we have a huge collection of the free maps given out by BLM, State & National forests and state & national park services..

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
In addition to the Delorme, Benchmark and free maps, I like and use USGS 1 24000 Quad maps.

I got tired of tearing them up or crushing them and decided to get something to protect them. All the tubes and cases on line were pretty expensive so I decided to make my own. I ended up naming 12 map tubes for about $75.00 which is a hell of a deal.

I used 3" and 4" black ABS sewer pipe for the tubes. Cheap and pretty much bulletproof in the field. Depending on how many maps I have I use either the 3" or 4".

20191205_134206.jpg

20191205_133602.jpg

20191205_133546.jpg

20191205_133918.jpg

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
I spent my life with maps and just prefer, whether out of experience or laziness I'm not sure, a detailed paper map for trip planning. I use the GPS systems for tracking, reporting, and communication. The Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer series is great and condenses a lot of information into an easy to use format. The Nat Geo folding maps are great for harsh conditions and for carrying with you when out and about. They're good detail. Putting together USGS quadrangles is the most detailed, but getting harder and harder to obtain updated maps.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

In addition to the Delorme, Benchmark and free maps, I like and use USGS 1 24000 Quad maps.

I got tired of tearing them up or crushing them and decided to get something to protect them. All the tubes and cases on line were pretty expensive so I decided to make my own. I ended up naming 12 map tubes for about $75.00 which is a hell of a deal.

I used 3" and 4" black ABS sewer pipe for the tubes. Cheap and pretty much bulletproof in the field. Depending on how many maps I have I use either the 3" or 4".

View attachment 129835

View attachment 129836

View attachment 129834

View attachment 129838
I was thinking of something similar that I've used.

70111.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have plenty of GPS devices. I just always like to have a good old paper map. Any good ones you all use?
Yes, the US National Forest maps for each region. I have the southern region which covers Arizona, NM, N.Texas panhandle with western finger of Ok...Check with your local US Forest service office for details. The maps are huge but show every FR, highway and trail in the national forest and the locations of all camp grounds whether facilitated or disbursed, number of camp sites at each park, distance to nearest town etc.. they also have manuals that give opening dates, length of stays, altitude and many other helpful pieces of info for overlanders or just travelers !

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I was thinking of something similar that I've used.

View attachment 130015
I like those, do they make bigger ones that will hold maps? They remind me of welding rod moisture proof storage cans.

I tried 2" PVC for map cases but you can't get many maps in it, it's too small. I do however have a lot of other stuff I could put in them.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

This is a guy over on Expedition Portal.
I want to get some of his maps, but being the great procrastinator that I am, it hasn’t happened yet.

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
We've always been fans of the Benchmark map books which, like the Delorme series, come one per state. Neither Delorme or Benchmark are real good at the close-in work but for 90%+ of mapping needs, they do the job.